Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

12th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2015
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2015, 03:13 AM   #171
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to thank Dave and Ruth for their hard work and fantastic hospitality. I had a great time seeing you all again. You all look the same, except a little older except for Jesse who I didn't recognize at first without the mullet! Don't ever grow one again, you look good!

And thanks to all the guys who fed us together with Dave and Ruth; I won't try to name names because I'll miss somebody, but just wanted to say it was noted and appreciated.

I really enjoyed the speakers, my nod goes to Frugelhorn with FF165 as my favorite.

Can't wait to see some pictures. Hopefully they will all show me before I spilled beer all over myself.
Old 24th August 2015, 03:14 AM   #172
KyleinCowichan is offline KyleinCowichan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Great pic of Kyle. All that's needed is a caption. "OMG, you guys broke my crossover."

jeff
That's only the second xo I've built! The other one was about 5-years ago for the overnight sensations. I was getting a little bugeyed at all the wires!

Cal: I'll try posting pics again later

My favourite listening experience last night was the FF85s in frugalhorn lites with a little SDX7 rounding out the bottom. There was some sax being played that was just so lifelike. I may have to invest in a set eventually.

Kyle
Old 24th August 2015, 03:40 AM   #173
tuxedocivic is offline tuxedocivic  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Whoever put up the string of lights down the driveway, bless you.

jeff
Yes that was fantastic. Thanks to those guys for that!
Old 24th August 2015, 05:31 AM   #174
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great pic of Kyle. All that's needed is a caption. "OMG, you guys broke my crossover."

jeff
Daniel, you can fix this, right?

Sure, dude, just let me finish these beers - I'm drinking for two, ya know
Old 24th August 2015, 06:24 AM   #175
KyleinCowichan is offline KyleinCowichan  Canada
diyAudio Member

UPLOADS! Turned out to be the size of the images...

1. Scott and Dana hooking up some large MTM towers with CSS drivers

2. Back deck

3. My 2-ways getting fired up for the first time. CSS LD25X and Silver Flute W17RC28-8's. TuxedoCivic's XO

4. Closer photo. It was easier to sit them upside down and lay the XO on the top

5. A Dave/Chris creation with Mark Audio Alpair drivers. Chris and Dave could fill in details on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-0.jpg (228.8 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Image-1.jpg (213.7 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg Image-2.jpg (249.9 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Image-3.jpg (140.9 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg Image-4.jpg (173.2 KB, 571 views)
Old 24th August 2015, 06:48 AM   #176
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
1. Scott and Dana hooking up some large MTM towers with CSS drivers
Twin FH3.

Quote:
2. Back deck
SEAS FA22eN in sealed box (repurposed KEF Calinda boxes). Prototype Em-Ken now with treated drivers.

Quote:
5. A Dave/Chris creation with Mark Audio Alpair drivers. Chris and Dave could fill in details on this one.
A7PeN in midTL, 2 x A12pWeN in Woden ML-TL. 1st order PLLXO at 240 Hz.

dave
Old 24th August 2015, 07:26 AM   #177
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

about the 12/7 MTM, did we forget to say - moves some air, even with only 5W of ACA power on the mid/tweeters

but I dare say it might have been the FF85Wk in the FH-lites - not yet pictured? - that raised some eyebrows - "3 inches, really?"
Old 24th August 2015, 03:15 PM   #178
Tinkertoys is offline Tinkertoys  Canada
diyAudio Member

Anybody keep a tune listing of what was played at the front of Dave's? The guys where ripping flac's as the CD's came out of the player. I'd like to get a listing of what Bands/groups where played.
Old 24th August 2015, 04:36 PM   #179
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good morning my audio-nutbar friends

First, Thank you to Dave and Ruth for hosting such a fun event. The mtn is a perfect spot for setting up three audio stages. The stages mostly do not overlap each other. As always the food was great.
Secondly, I really missed my brother Cal. I was way too subdued, heck I was wearing a shirt all afternoon, Eric did a good job filling but I think I speak for the whole group in saying we missed you Cal. It was like Christmas without party favours or Rum.
The array of speakers and music was great. I personally really liked the FF85WK-EN. I do not think you can make a cabinet that this driver sounds bad in. The one that got me all googley was the little fonken ontop of the Peerless 4" mid bass drivers set up as a Bi-amped system. There was a fabulous contradiction in front of me. The system disappeared completely and where the heck did all that bass come from. A truely great set up.

Great conversation with lots of laughs, getting back in touch with friends and meeting new ones.

I am already looking forward to next year. I really hope to bring something to share and show off.
Take care see you all next year.

Some of the music I brought was:
David Vest, This was the boogie woogie blues piano guy
Chic Gamon, The acapella girls from Quebec "Bang chicka gong......."
Jim Burns, "Fresh Horses" The late night blues we listened too.

I had some other stuff but there was an issue about me using the CD player.
Old 24th August 2015, 04:51 PM   #180
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Thank you for the kind words brother Scott.

Yes it was sad to miss the event but one soldiers on and I'm thinking next year I'll show up twice to make up for it. Too bad I had to miss the people who can't get there every year and those who are showing up for the first time not knowing what to expect. I trust you made them feel as welcome as if I was there beside you brother. hehe

Nice to see that if you had to keep your shirt on, at least it was a good one. I think we share a common tailor.

Quote:
Great conversation with lots of laughs, getting back in touch with friends and meeting new ones.
That's the whole point in a nutshell. Glad at least one of the brothers was there.

Cheers.

12th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2015Hide this!Advertise here!