DIY Audio Ottawa 21-22 Feb 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What to bring?

I'm planning to show up at the Ottawa get together but don't know what people are interested in seeing. I'm not doing the electronics side of things exactly but it's not exactly a Future Shop buy I listen to.

System
--------
8 cu. ft. corner loaded horns holding bass and high. (Pispeakers.com - 7 pi)
Klipsch K-43 15 inch woofers - low
18 Sound 8m400 8 inch mids.
Altec 32b bent horns - 18 Sound nsd1095 1 inch compression drivers.

Nady 12 db SW23 electronic crossover

2 Topping TP20 amps for mid and high
1 SMSL 98e amp for bass

Musical Fidelity V90 DAC

I'm using Spotify for source these days and love having the library of 26 million songs and multiple ways of finding things to listen to. It's not vinyl but... 26 million songs. WOW !!!

--------------------------

Let me know if anyone is interested in checking any of this out at the get together. I'm not interested in moving the whole system though.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

Grant.

I can bring the Napoleons with the revised crossover to compare to John's.

There's been a lot of talk on DIY about the LS3/5A's recently, I can bring my rework of the JR149 if there's interest.

Pierre, I may take you up on the cartridge install. I have a Heybrook alignment gauge but was never thrilled with the set up. Do you have a way to measure anti-skate? My arm is a finicky thing and very hard to set up (Syrynx PU2). I may just buy a rega arm, probably easier. :)

Dave

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can bring the Napoleons with the revised crossover to compare to John's.

There's been a lot of talk on DIY about the LS3/5A's recently, I can bring my rework of the JR149 if there's interest.

Pierre, I may take you up on the cartridge install. I have a Heybrook alignment gauge but was never thrilled with the set up. Do you have a way to measure anti-skate? My arm is a finicky thing and very hard to set up (Syrynx PU2). I may just buy a rega arm, probably easier. :)

Dave

A side by side comparison of the Napoleons with different crossovers would be fun!

For alignment, I use the DB Systems DBP-10 protractor. Antiskating is black magic. I play a tracking test record, and adjust antiskate so misstracking occurs about equally in the left and right channels. Then I dial it back a bit.

Syrinx PU2 is a good arm. Will be interesting to adjust it...

Cheers - Pierre

Hi, Grant (Pilover2000)

Since nobody replied to you yet, I'll give it a go.
I'm a little confused about your system, since you mention 7pi - which would be interesting to hear - and then some drivers & crossovers that I didn't think were used in the 7pi.

In any case, whether it is 1 or 2 systems, I do get the idea that it/they are a little too big to easily transport to our meet. However, it should be mentioned that our fearless member Mark would try to fit them in his Toyota!

So assuming that they are not portable, I would suggest that you should probably be prepared to bring at least a bunch of pictures & be willing to discuss the speaker guts. Others can chime in.

- Ron

So just to confirm - my Napoleon parts are still sitting in (moving) boxes, along with most of my other DIY materials, in the basement. But I certainly wouldn't mind hearing the built versions (again). And yes, Dave, bring the JR149's as well, please.

I'll probably also bring along one of my old cheapie turntables for Pierre to check some parameters, since he's made the offer.

Looking forward to our 2015 get-together, and I have mentioned it to some of our usual suspects.

- Ron

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I will bring these on Sunday. May need help moving them :D. Thank you Mark for the very nice bass cabinets.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 130
Ron, I'll bring the Jr's Sunday. They're tuned for my room so it'll be really interesting to hear them in one of those big rooms

Pierre, I'll try and bring the sota too, thanks for your help. I did an unthinkable mod to the arm, hope it's salvageable.

If anyone has a nice class D amp, it would be nice to hear one. After hearing the class d amp last year, I'm thinking of building an ncore

Dave

Hi, Grant (Pilover2000)

Since nobody replied to you yet, I'll give it a go.
I'm a little confused about your system, since you mention 7pi - which would be interesting to hear - and then some drivers & crossovers that I didn't think were used in the 7pi.

So assuming that they are not portable, I would suggest that you should probably be prepared to bring at least a bunch of pictures & be willing to discuss the speaker guts. Others can chime in.

- Ron

Hi Ron.

It's 1 system that started life as the Pi 7 Theatre model in the mid 90's with a passive crossover. The cabinet stayed but crossover, horns, and drivers have changed over the years. Pictures and willing to discuss guts it will be for now although nothing explains like sound!

Thanks for the response.

Grant.

Hi Grant
Hope you can make it to our gathering. Bring photos and drawings of your speakers/systems. Bring music too, and tell us what you think of the gear!

Cheers - Pierre

Hi Pierre.

I'd love to come and learn the secret handshake and all. I've seen dates mentioned but at this point I haven't noticed that anyone has actually published times/ addresses to go to, little things like that. I figure the hall is costing a couple and I'd like to contribute too.

Thanks and I'm planning to join in for sure. It sounds like a fun group so far. (music, piano, motorcycles and audio).

Grant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.