The Burning Amp 2012-Schedules & Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The show is a week away! Hooray! I wish I could bring something.

I'm doubly lucky, my wife is coming (who will unfortunately avoid the show like the plague...) but then we get to have a weekend in the city together! (We have somehow both made it to San Francisco a couple of time without each other, this will be a very welcome break from that trend. :) :) :)

Mark,

It looks like I'll be able to make this year's BA. Late notice, I know, but if there's room I'll bring a set of dipole speakers with Fostex FE166E's above dual 15" Jamo woofers, a laptop source and mid-power solid state amp to have a playable system.

Be happy to run with other sources / amps. Something above flea-power is preferable, the woofers need a decent damping factor. Single ended tubes don't seem to cut it. Not sure which room would suit the speakers, I'll leave that up to you.

Looking forward to it!

Bill Mennuti

Hi Bill,

Looking forward to your build. Recall a nice sounding speaker (the "Metronomes") that you brought to the NC DIY AUDIO event back in 2007. Glad to hear you are still at it.

DSC_1996.jpg

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I agree... In fact I would very much like to hear the Metronomes again too!
Hey that's not too much to load into your car is it Bill? 2 sets of speakers?

Hi Bill,

Looking forward to your build. Recall a nice sounding speaker (the "Metronomes") that you brought to the NC DIY AUDIO event back in 2007. Glad to hear you are still at it.

DSC_1996.jpg

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am attending, and will bring a pair of Audio Artistry CBT36 curved line-source speakers that I completed from a kit recently. I will also bring the associated power amps, DSP crossover, sources and a pair of subwoofers.

My CBT36 build log.

Looking forward to the gathering.

cbt36k-55.jpg

Ti Kan, We'll give you the end of the Tesla room. Absolutely bring the whole system! Maybe you can play around with substituting amps.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mark,
I noticed that you listed me as bringing the following this year:

The Volta Room: (26'x 32') Systems on each end of the room, which will alternate and swap in different components. Medium power amps, tube or solid state, mostly digital sources, with larger loudspeakers.

One End:
Sources: Gary B: Thorens Turntable & Pass Ono Phono Stage
Preamps: Gary B: FET 10e Threshold Preamp
Amplifiers:
Loudspeakers: Gary B: Altec 755C full range drivers in boxes

That's what I brought last year, but I wasn't planning on bringing any of that this year. As I mentioned in post 62 I was only planning on bringing a couple of DACs that I built this year. Hope that's OK.

Last year, I found the Altecs had a hard time filling the big space, so we'll be better off with some other speakers. We had plenty of DIY preamps so the Threshold also didn't get much use. And we even had some good DIY turntables, so I think the only thing that really got used was the phono stage, which I could be convinced to bring again. Let me know.
Thanks,
---Gary

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Gary, you've been a really loyal Burning Amper(?)

Sorry for the confusion, but I've just updated the listing to reflect this year's exhibitors. The listing in the second post WAS showing last year's offerings until now.

The DAC''s seem great, but do you have a computer source or disc player or whatever for them? Otherwise, seems great, In fact I put my preamp and amps with them.
Mark

Mark,
I noticed that you listed me as bringing the following this year:

The Volta Room: (26'x 32') Systems on each end of the room, which will alternate and swap in different components. Medium power amps, tube or solid state, mostly digital sources, with larger loudspeakers.

One End:
Sources: Gary B: Thorens Turntable & Pass Ono Phono Stage
Preamps: Gary B: FET 10e Threshold Preamp
Amplifiers:
Loudspeakers: Gary B: Altec 755C full range drivers in boxes

That's what I brought last year, but I wasn't planning on bringing any of that this year. As I mentioned in post 62 I was only planning on bringing a couple of DACs that I built this year. Hope that's OK.

Last year, I found the Altecs had a hard time filling the big space, so we'll be better off with some other speakers. We had plenty of DIY preamps so the Threshold also didn't get much use. And we even had some good DIY turntables, so I think the only thing that really got used was the phono stage, which I could be convinced to bring again. Let me know.
Thanks,
---Gary

I've just updated the listing to reflect this year's exhibitors. The listing in the second post WAS showing last year's offerings until now.
Hi Mark,

I seem to have been dropped from the listings in post #2... Here's a recap of what I am bringing:

Electronics: CDP-XA20es transport -> toslink/optical output -> MiniDSP 4x10 DAC/DSP crossover

Active Loudspeakers with built in amplification and power supplies:
  • 3-way with stands
  • 2-way: single cabinet with interchangable baffles for MTM and MT systems
Computer & Monitor to demonstrate DIY software that I have created:
  • Active Crossover Design (ACD) software - driver-measurement-based design of analog or IIR digital active crossovers
  • FRD Blender and Minimum Phase Response Generator - for merging/splicing/blending amplitude (SPL) measurements and model responses, and minimum phase extraction.

The DAC/DSP crossover includes a volume control and has analog inputs which will be free. If someone wants to use my system to demo something analog (turntable + preamp perhaps) they are welcome to hook up with me.

Not sure where I belong... Tesla? Hertz?

-Charlie

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Everyone:

We need:
-A couple of nice turntables and a couple of phono pre's
We'll have a Phono pre designed by Bob Cordell but it needs a turntable
Yeah they're a pain to move, but we need 'em!

-A couple more complete systems. My plan is to have a complete system someone is bringing assigned to each end of each room, then people with just one item can bring it and swap it into the installed systems.

-A mic and mic pre
-a Projector and a screen

Status
Not open for further replies.