The Burning Amp 2012-Schedules & Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
what's new for 2012

Mark,
This has been a year of building DACs for me. I built an ES9018 DAC based on the Buffalo III kit from twisted pear and Sowter transformers. Details found here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/164294-buffalo-ii-transformers-36.html#post3078702

And I built an inexpensive ES9023 DAC based on the WM8804/ES9024 board that Subbu and JP sold here. I added the Joachim Gerhard style buffer/filter. Details here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...8804-s-pdif-dac-group-buy-56.html#post3176306

Glad to bring them to Burning Amp this year. I can also bring other stuff that I've brought in past years if you're short of some components. Just let me know.

---Gary

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm about to update the schedule to reflect what's coming so far this year. This time I'll arrive a half hour before anyone to make sure we really do load in stuff according to the list, so please mention what you're bringing here. We need more stuff, and when we're organized a lot more can be actually auditioned. I ordered another 2 dozen moving blankets, which should make a big difference in the acoustics!

Com'on lower my stress level and check in and mention what you'll bring.
It can be same stuff as last year, The difference is that the systems will be different.

Mark

OK, I'm happy to give a tentative list. Focus is on DIY active loudspeakers and related:
  • Two or three pairs of active multi-way DIY speakers using baffleXchange cabinet building concept and in-cabinet amplification (I only use chip amps - profuse apologies to the amplifier crowd for this indignity).
  • CD transport > toslink > outboard MiniDSP 4x10 DSP crossover. Elliptical filters for loudspeaker crossovers via DSP!
  • ACD Active Crossover Design tools (free, Excel based) - used to design crossovers for the MiniDSP unit
  • FRD Response Blender and Minimum Phase Response Calculator (free wideband minimum-phase response generator)
  • (hopefully) a computer and monitor to demo the software, otherwise lots of handwaving, discussion, and printed screen shots :eek:

-Charlie

The SiC Puppy amp will be making the trip this year, hum exorcised. It will also have a "Fake SIT" brother, unnamed as of yet. I'm fitting the "Le Mutant" with a proper heat sink, so it can cope with extended operation without self-immolation. The improved "Half Nelson" amp has been de-hummed and sounds quite sweet, so it will make the trip. It has a brother in the works with a different input structure.

So, all told, four amps, maybe five, all Class A - lets say 20W/channel or less to be on the safe side.
Since they're small, I'll bring a pair of Planet 10's full-range speakers with enabled Mark Audio drivers.

I'll also lug a reasonably nice California Audio CD player to serve as a source, as well as whatever experimental RIAA/line amp circuit that happens to be inhabiting the living room at the time.

Last year I bought a rough 2-way (DXT tweeter and ZA14 woofer). I've redesigned the crossover and will bring it in the final configuration.

I will also bring a new ScanSpeak 2-way (HDS discovery tweeter in a 6" plastic waveguide and 15W Revelator woofer).

I'm really looking forward to another great Burning Amp. :)

(My old ScanSpeak waveguide 2-way (AirCirc - 15W) is also available for show or/and demo if there is popular demand.)

Last edited:
Mark,
I've got about a dozen or so pairs of drivers from Ron at NHT. He gave these to me and I'd like others to use them if they can. They are mostly mids but a few are 8" & 10" woofers along with a handful of tweeter pairs. I sorted through them and tossed a bunch away that were trashed or over 100 years old. :)
I also have a 4'x4' piece of sound trap, the kind with little foam pyramids on it. It wasn't cheap. Good condition if you think someone would want it too.
Is there a freebie table for this stuff?

The wife unit will be shopping in S.F. while I enjoy BA.

If you need any more volunteers, I'm 'yer man. (I've still got my cool button pin from the 1st BA.)

Ron

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The tough part for you is that we need the volunteers there at 8:30. If you can pull that off I'd love to have you in the first wave- those that get shirts!

The freebies were a scarce last year, but we still had an OK amount. Speaker drivers?, nah no one will want those.. hahahahahahahahaha! Of COURSE they'll want them ! Bring 'em in and we'll put them in the freebie raffle. I've devised a decent way to make sure people actually want the stuff they win.

We should have a lot of swag again this year, with your help..

Mark

Last edited:
The freebies were a scarce last year, but we still had an OK amount. Speaker drivers?, nah no one will want those.. hahahahahahahahaha! Of COURSE they'll want them ! Bring 'em in and we'll put them in the freebie raffle. I've devised a decent way to make sure people actually want the stuff they win.

Now that you mention it, I have a case (24 pcs?) of the woofers used in the loudspeaker project shown below. They are Peerless 850443 5.25" and have pretty low distortion. Measurements, specs, and a well-designed crossover for the tweeter used in the project (Vifa DQ25SC16-04) can be found here:
www.audioheuristics.org/projects_gallery/Peerless_2_way/Charlies2way.htm
These should be raffled off in pairs, so 12 lucky winners!

These can be used to make a great monitor that would come in handy for checking out your latest amplifier project. Amplifiers are for more than just looking at, right? Ya need da speakers. Just try to confine any burning to the amp itself, OK?

NC%20DIY%20AUDIO%202010%202-way%20pair.jpg

-Charlie

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
great! pairs- exactly.. .. You're right, when paired with some design, they are oh so more precious.. Thank you , from all the lucky winners.

I know the guy who got those 21" woofers you donated last year. He build them into some open baffles, but had to run back to MIT for the school year. He blames BA for his downward slide into technophilia.

Mark,
I'll see you around 8:30 Sunday Morning (XL please), traffic wiling. :)
Coming in from Sacramento Area, easy drive, should be a fun day.
Do you have a time table set yet? Wifee wants to do dinner in "The City" and SWMBO is driving, its a long walk home....................
Ron

volunteer call to arms

October 20th 3pm to 5pm. 616 grand avenue, south san Francisco Mark variac will be addressing the assembled crewfor the upcoming burning amp. I'll be serving home smoked brisket, please bring a dish to pass. Last year we had eight guys come. The more the merrier! Be part of THE DIY audio show of the year.
There is more to burning amp than bringing your equipment. Bring your body and help the event! Best regards, Bill

Speaking of volunteers, is there any chance that I could get a couple of people to help me move a couple of pairs of speakers and a couple of pieces of gear up to the 2nd floor around 8:30 or 9am? It should only take 15 minutes (depending on how backed up the line to the elevator becomes...).

Mark - Are your people available to help with this kind of thing, or would you prefer that I try to find my own volunteers?

-Charlie

Mark,

It looks like I'll be able to make this year's BA. Late notice, I know, but if there's room I'll bring a set of dipole speakers with Fostex FE166E's above dual 15" Jamo woofers, a laptop source and mid-power solid state amp to have a playable system.

Be happy to run with other sources / amps. Something above flea-power is preferable, the woofers need a decent damping factor. Single ended tubes don't seem to cut it. Not sure which room would suit the speakers, I'll leave that up to you.

Looking forward to it!

Bill Mennuti

Status
Not open for further replies.