Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

The usual business models for these "dealers" is they buy test equipment from electronics recycling companies, at about $1/kilo, dust them, some (not many) check for power on, then pre-pack them waiting for a customer willing to gamble on his 10,000% markup price. If the equipment doesn't work, they will happily take it back and refund, their exposure to losses is minimum.

There was a "dealer" in Mississauga which stayed in business until the recycling company he used to purchase from decided to sell the equipment on EBay auctions. Got some great deals some 10 years ago in these auctions, and I can tell the ridiculous markups he was asking.

That jives with my recollection of dealing with Mike as well. Although, I just bought a pair of Tek 7000 series scope plug-ins and they weren't expensive. About market value. I just hope they work. I'm trying to get a cheap scope together for a very good friend. About 100 MHz, dual trace.

I would love an 8903B, but then I collect HP equipment. An 8902 would also be great (measuring receiver - non-audio).

I have a TDS2104 (100MHz, 4 channels, color LCD display) I no longer need, it was upgraded and re-calibrated to be a TDS2204 (200MHz) and displays accordingly on the boot screen. Has the communication module with GPIB and serial port (this is an option for the TDS2000 scopes). All yours (his) for CAD350.

Its always frustrating that the folks who need the equipment do not have access to it at affordable prices. I have been aware of their business model for some years, but what can you do?

Wait for a better deal. That's what I'm doing for over 20 years and never purchased anything from these "dealers", unless they drop the price to reasonable numbers. They usually do when they got hungry.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,
That's a good deal on the scope. I'm using a Keysight MSOX3104T with all the software options opened up. (1 GHz x 4 channels and 16 digital channels), so I am covered for scopes.

This is coming out of my pocket so I'm hoping to keep it between $100 ~ $200. No, I would not dream of trying to talk you down. If anyone else here wants a good scope, that is a really good offer. Take it!

That's what I'm doing as well. You take your deals where you can find them. Waiting is the game. That and very good fortune and good friends.

-Chris

Its funny, last time I was at Toronto surplus, I saw stacks of old tek 2200 series scopes just sitting in a pile out back in the elements.
We had a laugh because he remembered my old ahole boss at Motorola, so does Murray Allen.
I assume Mike has lots of money, the land he is on is worth a fortune, I am sure he just does it for something to do and have fun doing it.
I would not want a 8903A, even though it would look good with the rest of my old HP gear. Get something newer like a QuantAsylum or equiv.
I would love to have a AC/DC current probe for my tek scopes. I have a brand new TCPA300 no probes, damn a TCP312A is hard to justify for using it once and a blue moon.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rick,
Yes, Mike is well off and always has been.

I would love a U8903B - but who wouldn't??

I just picked up a Tek P6021 current probe from Crown Assets (with the termination) and it works well. I want the active current probe for my scope, but as you've noted they are worth more than many good oscilloscopes. I'm talking thousands even used.

Would have loved a few 2200 series scopes to figure out and make something that worked.

That company is in my neighborhood, and I was always wondering what makes them stay in business. Pricing is outrageous, mostly double of what you can get from an equivalent local (Toronto) or US dealer (with the exception of those strictly focused on the "price no objection" business market). Definitely not a place for the enthusiast amateurs.

I live a 15 minute drive from both The Tube Store.com and Parts ConneXion. There is no comparison in prices between the two....and when parts connexion has a sale on what you're looking for it's about 2X difference. Better selection at the tube store but still....

I've never ordered tubes from the US. If you're just looking for one or two the shipping just kills you.

Best place is A1parts out in Ford Nation. Fun place to look around too. Found some tubes from a Lancaster Bomber there....

Right on about A1! My Marconi rectifier tubes came from there. Also big can Caps, and surplus transformers. The tubes were competitively priced, but the caps and transformers were pennies on the pound. It is a parts recycling store like an auto wrecking yard. Not a time efficient way to get parts. Most of that comes from Mouser, but a fun way to poke around and sometimes score some treasures. Also great prices on new Hammond iron. Order from the catalogue and pick it up a week later without the shipping fees.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have reservations over hosting another Diyaudio event in the fall.
The room is concrete wall and floor - not exactly a domestic listening environment.
The resident speakers are 30/40 year JBL studio monitor clones, not as resolving as better home speakers.
The music was usually the limited genres of classic rock and blues - although Apple Music is now available.
And I still don’t know how the coffee machine works - although some of you seemed to have figured it out.

At home I have electrostatics, subwoofers, a soon to be restored turntable, silver cables, and higher end electronics.
i hear more differences and greater resolution, but only have room for 3 or 4 attendees at most.
Hard to host a dozen or more and thats the problem for most of us.

So I don’t know if you are bored with the existing situation, have improvement suggestions, or someone has other hosting ideas. And then there’s the politics of Covid vaccinations to deal with - respectfully I’d ask for proof of double vaccination before admission and anyone who wants to wear a mask is welcome to ( or should it be mandatory)?
Opinions, complaints, and suggestions time

Hi Dave, How’s it going?
I like using your shop because it can accommodate more folks than most home settings can, like in your home or even mine. I do have a double car garage and a loft above it so that is an option but I live a fair distance from most (Georgina) so it is not a good central location. Folks still have to do the washroom which is in the house and I think that will not go over well with the rest of the family.
I am not concerned about the quality of the listening space or the speakers
I think most would be uncomfortable inviting folks into their homes esp under the circumstances.
Certainly the idea of checking that folks are double vaccinated is controversial. I am finally double vac’d but we can still get Covid and spread it.
If it’s your venue you get to set the rules.
I think a good time would be in the fall that gives everyone time to get double vac’d

Take care

Rick

Last edited:
Everybody is right. But whatever the good and bad about Dave's place, we all owe him a very big word of "thanks" for his generous hosting.

I think adequate space with suitable acoustics and seating are the biggest hurdles. But there are possible trade-offs.

Can Dave's space be shaped better - say, by just building a temporary wall behind any test speakers?

Maybe our gathering shouldn't be so fussy about hearing sound but more on testing?

Or listening in homes but separate small groups based on reservation commitments? A wife ago, I did have a commodious house..... now worser listening room but much better wife.

(Picture from 2020 when I was only an 80 year old biker.)

Ben

Attachments

• 2020 July 6 B and E and bike.jpg
    2020 July 6 B and E and bike.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Opinions, complaints, and suggestions time
Also, big thanks to Dave for hosting so many. Personally I enjoy your shop vibe and the meets we have had there. Not for discriminating listening, but as a social outing with like minded enthusiasts. I'd be keen to come to another at some point, but not sure when.
I'm likely an outlier wrt Covid caution. I'd need to know every attendee was fully vaccinated. Even then, I doubt I'll be comfortable attending a group event with everyone shouting over the music in 2021. At some point in the next year or two a new variant will arrive with an international traveler and I'll like to just read about it in the news vs meet it face to face.
I hosted a couple of the early events when I had an office, but those days are long gone and my current listening space is works for one guest. A party room in a condo would work well.

Dave,

How are you? Hope everything is well.
A big thank you to you for hosting so many meets which I enjoyed very much. The opportunity to meet with fellow DIY enthusiasts and listen to all the different gears they brought (and "chit-chating" about audio stuffs) is very much appreciated.

I agree with your comment on the "vaccination requirement" for participation in the next meet. We should all try our best to protect ourselves, our family and everyone in our community.

I like the idea of having a meet in the fall. Being fully vaccinated, I feel fairly comfortable in a crowd (I went to work everyday since the beginning of the pandemic, my workplace has a very strict precautionary procedure). With the reopening of Ontario, we shall find out how the pandemic situation would pan out in the next few weeks. Hopefully everything will be under control.
Until next meet, take care everyone.

Regards,

I'm fully vaccinated, so I'm not worried about COVID any longer. I've yet to see convincing evidence that fully vaccinated people can spread the virus. At work only one third of us are vaccinated and no one wears a mask any longer (building an Amazon warehouse in Toronto with a conspiracy theorist as foreman.)

So I'm comfortable with masks or no masks and am happy to follow any rules that Dave sets out. I'm just grateful that we can meet and am satisfied with any space that can hold us.

What would be considered as proof of vaccination? I have a copy of the email that I got from the government (I lost the hard copy) after the second shot. Is that good enough?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
This depends on you. A huge thanks for previous gatherings and you are a wonderful host. I really like your shop as a venue and I'm very comfortable there. Sound is fine, music is fine and I think it is more about the people to be honest.

We get to see what people have created with their hands. Hear their plans and get a rough idea of how something sounds. That is really everything this is all about.

Yes, proof of both vaccinations is a good idea. I'll be fine and am okay with no masks at all. I really look forward to seeing all our friends again. I would bring my GF as well next time. She is really curious and is a people person.

It would be good to bring a few bucks to donate to Dave's effort and supplies of good food. We can always go on a Timmy's run for a box of coffee as well.

Dave, I think you might be surprised at how much we deeply appreciate your hosted events. I am really looking forward to seeing you again as well.

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
It seems from the comments that the gathering of fellow inmates is more important than the absolute audiophile qualities of the demos. So tentatively Sept (and maybe early December if theres interest in a second seasonal event). The date in Sept - I need to see how my work schedule develops over the next few weeks - probably a Sunday. As far as catering donations I might land some work soon which will underwrite the expenses.

Hi Dave, it appears that everyone is missing the meet (itch) and not really critical about the absolute sound. We are social animals and the energy is still there.
I'm asking myself whether if it can be held in the outdoors in the parking lot like a tailgate meet? Show your stuff from the trunk. Now where are my old Jensen 6x9s with the Craig booster equalizer?
Usually there is a warm spell in early September.