Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

That's what I heard too. 17$ was not cheap but better than 25:D. Actually, there was also a discount last year but a lot of people did not know about it (myself included) and paid the full fare :(:(.

As usual, I am going on the first day (a lot less people). Hopefully I can sit down and have some decent listening experience.

Enjoy!!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some folks I'm going with want to deal with less traffic. That would include me.

Last year we ran around chasing down this "discount", but I don't know if it really existed. One sure fire discount is to car pool and split it.

Good luck on the listening sessions. Last year we had pretty good luck that way, but there were only two rooms worth listening to. The other rooms didn't cut it, and there were some truly terrible rooms as well.

You know that McIntosh room? It wasn't very good to be honest with you. I was floored they won the best room in the show. I liked McIntosh, but what they brought last year wasn't worthwhile. One of the best rooms was the Bryston room. Yes, I really said that. Based on what I heard, I would have a Bryston system - and enjoy it.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi kodabmx,
The cubed series is the first models I can listen to. The others that came before all improved over the horrible 4B, but they didn't really attain that level of excellence until the cubed series.

I guess it all depends on your expectations. Mine are high, and the cubed series meets what I consider to be worthwhile. This is especially true for the prices their amplifiers have been retailed for. If you're going to ask that much, deliver the quality expected.

-Chris

Bryston has been excellent for years :) My first experience was with the original 2B in the post production rooms in our school.

my first hi fi in Canada was a Bryston amp. I used it for years, it was one of their lower power models for home use, very solid construction. Only sold it after finally building an amp that could beat it (tgm8).

I went for a few hours today and really enjoyed the ELAC rooms. Andrew Jones was very
informative, in addition to telling great stories.
I was really surprised at the huge sound stage and dynamics they produced from some really small form factor speakers. They played so loud however they drove me away to save my hearing.

I enjoyed many of the displays on the 3rd floor. I enjoy Pass Labs stuff so always check out Toronto Home of Audiophile. I enjoyed the Triton One speakers. Seemed very organic for a hotel room with amazing bass. Their source was using a MUTEC master clock. I recognized the sound of a low phase noise clock immediately. The owner agreed to pull the master clock out and play with the Lumin streamer straight to Pass electronics. Still great, but a different league. Very similar to what I experienced with Andre's Well Tempered MC.

Coming soon, Friday, Oct 25: Phantoms of the Organ at Holy Trinity (behind the Eaton Centre), 8:00

Not the biggest loudest organ in town, but likely to be good fun as always. This church now has the fine tracker organ than used to be at Deer Park United on St. Clair West (now a condo....). Hard to picture that organ used for Halloween but you never know.

Ben