Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have it on good authority that DDzStereo was jacuzzi surfing and injured himself.

Attachments

• 347DB327-17CB-4FB4-82B4-1CA24529A79B.jpg
    347DB327-17CB-4FB4-82B4-1CA24529A79B.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Good suggestion. I will attend Friday. I am focused on seeing the commercial equipment. I'll never buy any of it, but cool to see/hear what is out there.
Like visiting the Ferrari dealership. I look but do not buy.
+1

I bring a CD with brief selections from some of my favourite test pieces. Some vendors can't play it and some make excuses not to play it.

Last time I went, the suites had numerous vinyl recording set-ups. And special cables. What does that say about the sanity of the industry? Sad to see so many vendors who would rather cater to delusional and faddish buyers than devoted to advancing the SOTA.

(Hope I'm not hurting anybody's feelings.)

My treat is hearing large Martin Logan electrostats. Sure sound different to my ears compared to box speakers. Soooooo many boxes.

B.

Last edited:
+1

I bring a CD with brief selections from some of my favourite test pieces. Some vendors can't play it and some make excuses not to play it.

Last time I went, the suites had numerous vinyl recording set-ups. And special cables. What does that say about the sanity of the industry? Sad to see so many vendors who would rather cater to delusional and faddish buyers than devoted to advancing the SOTA.

My treat is hearing large Martin Logan electrostats. Sure sound different to my ears compared to box speakers. Soooooo many boxes.

B.

I totally hear you. I have just been on the HighEnd show in Munich, and experienced myself the overwhelming sad silliness first hand. On all accounts mbl took the cake. They fabricate hopelessly overpriced and totally under performing yet beautiful looking electronic junk. Same goes for another well known company, seriously advertising they're flagship reference amplifier with a whopping 0.5% THD. WTF ?

But hey, if there is a market for this sad silliness, why not cover the demand and make a pretty penny on this ?

So I adjusted my expectations substantially lower, meaning don't expect too much other than pretty looking gear and hopeless high prices. As far as amplifier audio performance goes, there are some fellows on here that can easily blow these 'professionals' out of the water, beating 0.5% THD is not too hard even for a novice with little skill.

+1

B.

If you are bring our own gears, you can play whatever music you want:p

So, is anyone interested in showing off our diy stuffs? Actually if we demonstrate how good our diy stuffs are, I am worry that the organizer will not allow any diy gear "show off" next year due to objection from the vendors:D:D. Hey, I think it will be fun.

Well, the purpose of the show is to promote sales. So we really cannot fault the exhibitors, especially if the admission is free:D:.

Regards,