Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

I am desperately trying to finish off my amp for the event. I am rewiring it, and hope that I don't insert a bad noise. I think it should be fine. Last I measured, it was very quiet -- at least in the 60/120 Hz department.

Let's hope I don't mess it up.

Bloody thing weighs a ton. It's an F5T with a monster transformer, about 95 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms......all in a single enclosure. Made with IRF 240 and 9240 outputs.

I might not be able to get the snubbers back on before the event. If I do, it'll be temporary. Hoping that I've made it a bit more sensible...at least maintenance wise.... at the expense of a lot of contacts.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes 2 pole Speakon at the speaker end.
The shop speakers are 40 year old JBL home built 4 way - 100db/1 watt - loosely based on the 4350 studio monitor with larger woofers and mid horn
the other end is bare wire, spades, and bananas all on plug in adapters so it will plug into most amps brought in quickly

Re F5 T we have a special hand fork that raises to about 30 inches, load it onto that from the trunk and it wheels right in to the listening room and connect it without having it to be unloaded from the hand fork

Last edited:
Hi Dave,
I was trying to finish Bob Cordell’s new lateral FET power amp for Hafler rebuilds but am too busy with work this week to test it yet in the Perreaux chassis I have (might be about 450 w channel 8 ohms ) its about 90% done, will have it for the fall meet.
To bad you have run out of time, while I am there, I can help you out, let me know what you need, so I can bring it along with me if it helps you move along to completion.
Rick

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Rick,

The amp is at home and I have too much to move for food and other electronics for the meet to bring. I can send some pics. Amp chassis has standoffs added to mount the new driver boards, power supply rebuild finished, just need to match the jfets and mount the boards, output zobel is mounted on the original Perreaux board (its higher power handling).
Then test it with 1 and then 3 output pairs.

Did you change gate resistors or use the 221/475 as the Profusions double die devices are double the capactance of the DH 200 Hitachis.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey, I recently bought a Nakamichi CR-5! I have a BX-300 and a BX-150, a Yamaha deck and a Teac V-800x. I couldn't resist the CR-5 as I had always wanted that or a CR-7. Really nice machine.

If you had Nakamichi deck, you might still use it. I also have a Nakamichi TD-700 car cassette deck. It sounds awesome. Tapes don't skip on bumps.

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
If you want to have AbbaFest at the shop I‘ll open up for you and you can call me when you want to lock up. You can wear matching costumes if you really want to get in the mood. I‘ll hook up both pairs of JBLs so you get the full effect.

Attachments

• 81FD7DC1-6158-4E05-949C-7C82007C3811.jpeg
    81FD7DC1-6158-4E05-949C-7C82007C3811.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 95