Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The spades I have are for 1/4 inch binding posts
While I would like to horn load the low mids and bass drivers it’s just supposed to be a fun system for a work shop, or then we get into bi/tri amping, delays to match horn lengths etc and the cost and space escalates and I’d have to turn the shop into a Bollywood night club to pay for it.

Attachments

• A2D214A5-D1FD-421A-870E-932CFEC463BD.jpeg
    A2D214A5-D1FD-421A-870E-932CFEC463BD.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 247
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Newcomers welcome !

You don’t have to bring anything, but your welcome to bring - speakers, preamps, amplifiers, dacs, ( jumbo chile shrimp with pineapple fried rice are most welcome)

Accordions are frowned upon until we’ve had a few beer

Last edited:
Toronto meet

Newcomers welcome !

I'm very interested to come. Long time audiophile but only recently DIY.

I could bring my modded Oppo 205 DAC. Digital section SMPS replaced with R-core trafo LPSU (Coris LPM). Analog section fed by stock toroid but changed to schottkys and replaced regulators with TPS7A ultralow noise LDO for +/-12V rails but fed by two 4-pole Jensen caps, which entailed a miniboard to isolate the trafo center tap input from the 4-pole output common/GND plane.

Very tempted to build a NUC AudioLinux endpoint/player next but need to figure out an excellent approach for the PSU.

I cannot readily find the time and place. Would someone kindly tell pls.

Denis

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Things making an appearence, Pass diy power amps, an Oppo with rebuilt analog board, 24/192 dac with 8 x 1704 K chips, new High def 24/192 downloads, a new fully direct coupled shunt regulated balanced fet/ jfet preamp with remote controlled fully discrete balanced attenuator, a Mac mini with Amarra as server, possibly a rebuilt Perreaux 3150 power amp with lots of updates.
Dirac inverse dsp speaker / room correction, snacks, beer, donuts, my parole officer

Last edited:
Hey guys i'm in the KW area and would really love to have someone apprentice me. Someone who has a ton of experience building DIY amplifiers and electronics and show me the ropes. I'm even willing to sweep the floor lol. Let me know if this would be of interest to you.

Hi Nathan,

I'm wondering if we have enough folk local to us for a meet in this area sometime. There's Todd in Kitchener, building a full-on Pass F5 (been in progress for a few months). And there's a chap in Paris Ontario - can't remember who that it is for a minute. We did have Brian in Waterloo - student who build that amazing little active 3 speaker the size of a pack of breakfast cereal but I think he's moved now. Of course, in Waterloo we also have the Grandmaster himself, John Vanderkooy but he's pretty busy already.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gareth,
That's an interesting idea. We once had a meet in Barrie that was a medium sized group, but it was too far for most people. Down in the KW area I would make an attempt to visit. However, Dave's meetings have been really good and people should attempt to go at least once. Dave is a fabulous host in a great facility. It's industrial, meaning the party can get loud at points without disturbing anyone.

You've got to be careful about holding it in a house in case the number of attendees jam the place full. Maybe a meet and greet meeting first with a plan for an appropriate venue for the expected number later on. If you open it up to CAM members you will probably have a big response. I have to warn you though, members will descend on coffee and doughnuts like locausts! Anything for lunch and / or dinner will go quickly also. Pizza and / or burgers and hot dogs would work.

I don't see your possible meet replacing Dave's or vice-versa. The two should be held on different days so you could have some of the same members at both events.

So now the big question is ... where? Expect at least 10 people I would say, and you may get confirmations for more. That means a big house in the basement or outside in a back yard. If someone has access to an industrial space, that would probably work out better than a house (for the house that is!). Members do not tend to be rowdy at all, but the volume on music can get up there.

If you do this, get adapters for speaker connections and signal IO.

As for Dave's meeting, I think I have room for one more person in my car. You can drive to Georgetown and catch a ride in from there. That would certainly break the driving up for someone. I'm located at highway #7 and Trafalgar Rd., so the north west corner of G'town. Just PM me or post here. I do tend to stay until the very end of the get together, so we can help pack up and clean up with Dave.

-Chris

... I think I have room for one more person in my car. You can drive to Georgetown and catch a ride in from there. That would certainly break the driving up for someone. I'm located at highway #7 and Trafalgar Rd., so the north west corner of G'town. Just PM me or post here. I do tend to stay until the very end of the get together, so we can help pack up and clean up with Dave.

-Chris

that's a tempting offer indeed - I've marked my calendar 'tentative' which is a big move for me :cool:

Speaking of "making an appearance...", I'm so sorry to say I have an appointment I just can't miss to be on the beach near Fort Lauderdale that day. I'll be sure to be thinking of all of you as I check out the frequency response of the Atlantic Ocean waves.

But looking forward to seeing and hearing everybody at the next get together.

Ben

This (6V6-IT-45or2A3) amp has been sitting like this (almost finished) for two years now. Damn the early fifties slowdown! I know I don’t have much time left till the meet up but I’ll do my best. Chances are - if I don’t finish it now – it’ll sit like this for another two years.
I’ll need the address...

Attachments

• 45-2A3-bottom.jpg
    45-2A3-bottom.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 87