Paid Member
Hmmmmm Hamfest

Attachments

• EF40639E-63A1-41EF-AAA9-B6B17DC88089.jpeg
    EF40639E-63A1-41EF-AAA9-B6B17DC88089.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 83
Joined 2005
Paid Member
If you show up at the DIY meet you’ll meet a few of the inmates, see who is working on things your interested in and make friends, drink beer, eat snacks , tell lies about women, etc etc (repeat as required).

Theres nothing a Diyaudio guy likes more than some one who’ll listen to him go on and on about nothing important.................

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How efficient are they Dave?

Hi kawihornet,
I'm in Georgetown and plan to catch this event. Depending on how things work out, you could drop by and catch a ride with me and possibly a friend who I hope also comes again. I live very close to highway #7 and Trafalgar Road. So if you took 7 out here it would be a natural stop for you. Then we would drop down to the 401 and hope that no one has had an accident. It should be a fun trip otherwise.

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
How efficient?
The JBL 4 ways are 4 ohm and about 100db @ 1 watt. They would probably sound better biamped or triamped, but the idea was to be able to power them with a single amp so they could be used to demo the diy amplifiers .They have a high quality passive crossover - all polypropelene caps, mid and tweeters use MIT film and foil caps and air core coils.

The subs are self powered adjustable line level input.
I am adding a set of splitter RCA cables to feed power amps and the subs from the preamp.
The subs can be used/not used as whoever is demonstrating prefers.

Attachments

• BF157DFC-FDAE-419C-A772-6B0BCF32E3FE.jpeg
    BF157DFC-FDAE-419C-A772-6B0BCF32E3FE.jpeg
    852.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
That actually sounds very interesting. Your horns are more efficient aren't they?

One question for you. What kind of speaker leads will we need. I use barrier strips, so I'll need to bring a spade connector to ? to interface with your wiring?

I'm really looking forward to this get together.

-Chris

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The system is 1970’s JBL drivers and an updated version of their 4350 studio monitor crossover
The 2 x 18 bass and JBL 2202 12” low mid are 100 db /1watt
The JBL 2441 driver and 2395 midrange horn is 116 db/1watt and has to be used with an Lpad to match the low end drivers.
JBL 2405 tweeter is 105 db / 1 watt and also has an Lpad to set level.
So the low end sets the overall level and efficiency at about 100 db / 1watt

The new leads for the speakers are about 6 feet longer and have several plugin options that are very easy to change to suit whatever amps are brought in. Locking bananas, spade lugs, and bare wire ends all are available.

Last edited: