Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

If there's enough interest and I'm not out of the country, I can bring my calibrated speaker measurement rig and/or electronics measurements rig (AP Sys 1 + Presonus VSL1818).

We could use a combination of ground plane, nearfield and 2M gated measurements depending on the DUT configuration. The results using these methods compare favourably with my NRC measurements of the same speakers and in some cases, they are actually more accurate due to M37's single position low frequency calibration.

cheers

Hey Mark, how are you? It has been a while. Hope to see you in the next meet. It would be great to have a speaker expert in the group :)

Regards,

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well i’m not sure of the phasing on the shop speakers at the low to mid @ 250hz crossover point and mid horn is definitely delayed because of horn length, so a test system would be greatly appreciated, but it would be better utliized if others had speakers they’d like to test as well.

I have a Mac Mini with Amarra and Dirac ( digital inverse speaker equlization) installed and a calibrated mic, but haven’t tried to use it yet, maybe I’ll figure it out for this meet.

A new 24/192 DAC should be there, some new HD downloads, new tweeters too. Hmmmm i better fix my power amp too..........

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes Sunday November 4th 9:30 until 4 or whenever.
Coffe, beer, and something to eat supplied.
If your particular about any dietary or music preferences then best to bring your own.

Theres a 8 foot table to demonstrate equipment on and a power bar.
4 ohm/100db/1watt shop speakers or bring your own.
A single ended passive preamp and music from a dac is available

Hi Gareth,
I had hoped you would attend a least one of these events. Dave is a great host.

-Chris

One of these days for sure!

This time it’s a bit of a challenge as my daughter will need driving back to McMaster after an event, and that’s the least of my obligations. I don’t get a chance to go out much more than a few times during the year which means I’ll look forward to being able to attend the next one for some proper socializing I hope. Maybe next year will be better and I’ll also get a chance to build something that I can bring along for the show & tell session.

Friday event, downtown

Attachments

• organ.jpg
    organ.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 171

Attachments

• organ w red ghoul.jpg
    organ w red ghoul.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Class A this time
The new dac on demo is all discrete balanced jfet 85 ma class A bias current output stage, direct coupled, dc servo, 10 push pull discrete fet shunt regulators, 10 Jung super regulators as pre regulators, over 50 large TO 220 heatsinks and burns 32 watts of class A load current. 8 of PCM1704K grade chips in balanced parrallel 24/192 bit rate.

Last edited: