Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

My built is much simpler, a single opamp based preamp. I called it "an active volume attenuator", just to contrast my passive TVC. The very simple design consists of the input signal goes through a volume pot and enters the opamp that has a standard two resistors feedback path with a bypass cap. The gain is quite low, about 4 times. I have been doing some opamp rolling and it was fun (and cheap). The most expensive part was the transformer. I have tried JRC4502, LM4562, OPA2134 (and OPA2604 if I remember where I stored it). They all sound different. I am still waiting for the LME49720 from TI. I built a little wooden box using 1/8" birch for this little thing. Since I have not decided the opamp of choice, the box is currently being secured with rubber band:p.

I will bring it in and show you guys in the next get together.

Regards,

I could probably make it.

Nothing new to show.

I could bring a smaller set of speakers to compare.

Couple of problems for me. Long weekend is a non starter for me. Also, not sure I can host in this time. I might take a pass this time and come back in the new year.

Definitely planning on attending Taves this year so that kind of soaks up my free pass for this Qtr.

Couple of problems for me. Long weekend is a non starter for me. Also, not sure I can host in this time. I might take a pass this time and come back in the new year.

Definitely planning on attending Taves this year so that kind of soaks up my free pass for this Qtr.

Walter,

No problem. May be next time.

I also planned to attend the TAVES in November. As usual, I probably go on Friday - much less crowded. Make sure you grab one of thoses discount coupon in Canada HIFI.

Regards,

I'm going to the TAVES show on Friday.

My next project is building the Audio Note Kits L1 EL84 integrated amplifier.

Brian Smith of Audio Note Kits will have a dedicated room to demo his tube gear with cables provided by Steve Huang of Audio Sensibility.

I'm looking forward to hearing this combination.

Walter, hopefully I will see you there.

I prefer to go to TAVES on Friday - a lot less people and one can spend more time in each room and do some listening. The down side is that most of the seminars and/or "big demos" usually take place on Saturday and Sunday.

Since SVS decided to participate in the show this year, we probably will see Mark (he came to the last 2 getherings at Walter's office), who is the product development director of SVS.

Look like the discount coupon for the show is finally out - one has to bought the ticket on line and pck it up at the entrance though.

Regards,