Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Hey Guys - I would be interested in joining the group. Some of the projects I have done include rebuilding my HK Citation 19 amplifier and 17 preamp, I have recapped my German Braun L-910s, and I am currently building a Pass F5 Turbo V3. Please let me know if its o.k. to attend and where abouts you guyd meet.

Also - I design and manufacturer audio isolation products.

Last edited:
Sure, you'd be more than welcomed. How far are you with your F5 turbo?

I am still collecting parts. This is my first build from scratch and I am a little green but I find I learn best by doing. I have my transformer 1 KVA, 28V is split into 4 secondary windings each being 9A. I bought 6 Mundorf HC caps (90mm dia ea) at 47Kuf and 80V. The footprint is going to be huge; most likely 19"W x 20"deep. I got 3 matched pairs of Toshiba MosFets from Spencer but I wanted to increase to 4 matched pairs. I made a rookie mistake and did not buy extras because they aren't cheap and not that readily available. TickandPop (Dave) has been discussing that issue with me and has offered to help me sort out some matched pairs early in the summer. I bought 4 - 10"x10" heatsinks. I should end up with a 80W Class A amp. I still need the wire and terminals. I got the boards from T-Bag and I still need the soft start too. I ordered the Mundorf 5W power resistors but not the signal resistors. Its mostly purchased but I figured I would lay everything out and design the case once I purchased everything. I plan to CNC mill the case in aluminum and get it black anodized maybe a black chrome finish. This will be a cost no object build for me but man the cost is climbing fast.

I think the case (with heatsinks) was 2/3 the cost of my F5 amp.

Well I spent $600 on the power caps - I hope they prove to be worth it. The heatsinks and the custom wound transformer where both ~$200. I'll probably blow a $100 each on the speaker terminals and analog jack. I am debating between the Vishay Nudes and AmTrans Carbon Film for the signal resistors. I plan to use Neotech OCC silver and copper wire.

What did your case cost you? Did you get it milled or did you punch it yourself? Do you have a link to your build? Is it a V1, 2, or 3? - Ah, never mind found the link.

Last edited:
Hey Guys - I would be interested in joining the group. Some of the projects I have done include rebuilding my HK Citation 19 amplifier and 17 preamp, I have recapped my German Braun L-910s, and I am currently building a Pass F5 Turbo V3. Please let me know if its o.k. to attend and where abouts you guyd meet.

Also - I design and manufacturer audio isolation products.

Hey, welcome! The main purpose of the meet is provide an oppportunity for the local DIYers to get together to show and chat about our hobby. No requirements at all. We all love to exchange/share ideas and our knowledge under a friendly atmospher.

The proposed meeting date for the next meet was April 20/21 (I do not recall exactly). Walter mentioned that he might be able to offer his office again as the venue. By the way, where about are you located?

Guys, I think we should get organised for the next meet.

Regards,

lo_tse

P.S I am waiting for my F5T V3 GB too!

Well I spent $600 on the power caps - I hope they prove to be worth it. The heatsinks and the custom wound transformer where both ~$200. I'll probably blow a $100 each on the speaker terminals and analog jack. I am debating between the Vishay Nudes and AmTrans Carbon Film for the signal resistors. I plan to use Neotech OCC silver and copper wire.

What did your case cost you? Did you get it milled or did you punch it yourself? Do you have a link to your build? Is it a V1, 2, or 3? - Ah, never mind found the link.

Amcan,

I recheck previous emails and found that Walter proposed April 21, the Sunday.
Where about did you get the custom wound trafo? $200 for both heat sink and trafo (?) are cheaP!. Most of the GB guys on the forum are also waiting for the Primrose GB on trafo to go thru. I ordered two 800 VA trafo (mono block) with 32V secondary - each is $105 US (a pretty good deal I think).

We can chat more when we meet.

Regards,

Amcan,

I recheck previous emails and found that Walter proposed April 21, the Sunday.
Where about did you get the custom wound trafo? $200 for both heat sink and trafo (?) are cheaP!. Most of the GB guys on the forum are also waiting for the Primrose GB on trafo to go thru. I ordered two 800 VA trafo (mono block) with 32V secondary - each is $105 US (a pretty good deal I think).

We can chat more when we meet.

Regards,

The transformer is local from Sumr Technology SumR - Richard Sumner Technology The Trafo was almost $200 by itself - I meant $200 ea. Sounds like you got a good deal. I am located VERY central at Yonge & the 401. I wouldn't mind hosting some time rather than meeting at a coffee shop.

The transformer is local from Sumr Technology SumR - Richard Sumner Technology The Trafo was almost $200 by itself - I meant $200 ea. Sounds like you got a good deal. I am located VERY central at Yonge & the 401. I wouldn't mind hosting some time rather than meeting at a coffee shop.

Yeah, it is a good deal. However, it will take sometime to go thru. After all the orders are placed, we have to wait for another month for the manufacture to complete.

You are close. Last time we met at Walter's office in the Dufferin and 407 area. I do not think we can meet at the coffee shop anymore since the group is getting bigger and people are bringing their gears to show. This get together started out as a swap meet for parts.

Regards,

Yeah, it is a good deal. However, it will take sometime to go thru. After all the orders are placed, we have to wait for another month for the manufacture to complete.

You are close. Last time we met at Walter's office in the Dufferin and 407 area. I do not think we can meet at the coffee shop anymore since the group is getting bigger and people are bringing their gears to show. This get together started out as a swap meet for parts.

Regards,

If Walter can't host this time I have clearance from the Deck Captain to host on the 21st. He doesn't seem to be chiming in here.

I have 2 listening rooms adjacent to each other. We could potentially set up 2 listening rooms. My main rig is in a built-on family room and I ended up running speaker wire through the wall and up through the floor so that when I sit in the living room I can switch out speakers and still listen to music. This usually comes in handy when the kids want to watch TV in the family room Saturday morning and Mom & Dad want to sit in the living room listening to music while drinking coffee [Oh'Ya - My wife is an Audiophile too but not a DIY-er]. So the speakers in the living room can be hooked up to an independent system. This also gives us the potential to set up blind listening tests by switching out components in the family room to be auditioned in the living room. The rooms are separated by brick walls and door.

I would be interested in swapping parts too. Right now I am looking for some Toshiba MosFets ( 2SK1530 / J201 pairs ) and I am always looking to pick up some Blackgates.