Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2018, 04:11 AM   #931
ticknpop is offline ticknpop  Canada
diyAudio Member

Me too, i ‘m not far from you. And I have to work there every week. , but at least we can play the stereo
Old 6th November 2018, 04:55 AM   #932
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

That's so true.

I do have a lab if you need to do something Dave.

-Chris
Old 6th November 2018, 03:37 PM   #933
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
The shop is available if anyone needs an assembly area, a big drill press, or metal shear, or if anyone wants a test area or load for something new.
( or just wants to play music and drink beer, wine, tequila, scotch, rum, vodka, Gran Marnier, or any other fermented beverage.)

The room is reflective I know. I must have missed the humungous horns where were they? , my favorite bass horn is 8 feet wide by 42 inches tall and so far I havenít found a pair or had the nerve to install them..................

Well Yes the shop speakers arenít exactly domestic, but for driving them with a single power amp to demonstrate about as efficient a load as there is. I will have a Mac mini with Amarra and Dirac running next meet which does digital domain room and speaker frequency response correction by inverse correction from mic measurements. The Amarra program can choose the tracks and control the volume from an ipad then, so it can be passed around for listeners to pick their preference of demo tracks. A balanced jfet/fet preamp which matches the new dac for topology and construction will be ready soon. The 2 chassis for new 150 watt monoblock class A power amps arrived today so Iíll have to get off my butt..................
Doesn't volume control in the digital domain mean you use less bits?
Old 6th November 2018, 03:44 PM   #934
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Doesn't volume control in the digital domain mean you use less bits?
Sure makes it easier to build. But good question, and one I have asked too. Two answers: there's so much digital S/N headroom, not a problem AND/OR you can do what I did, a 4-pot ganged volume control downstream from the DSP.

The VC approach works quite nicely if all digital sources are same gain level, as they ought to be (excepting some recordings made very low with loud short peaks... but you'd have to ride the gain control on those recordings anyway).

B.
Old 6th November 2018, 05:02 PM   #935
diyAudio Member

You can chose -as the new preamp uses a 60 step remote controlled reed relay switched balanced attenuator using my favorite naked resistors, so those who find digital attenuation the end of civilization will have the preamp remote control to keep analog alive .

Last edited by ticknpop; 6th November 2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 6th November 2018, 07:22 PM   #936
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, thanks for hosting the meetup.
Hope you are not too tired of the leftovers by now.

Mike
Old 6th November 2018, 11:05 PM   #937
diyAudio Member

I freeze them for the next diy meet.

I’ll ask whose attending in advance so I don’t get too much caviar next time.

Last edited by ticknpop; 6th November 2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 7th November 2018, 12:00 AM   #938
Atom666 is offline Atom666  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just wanted to say thanks for hosting, had a good time!

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetupHide this!Advertise here!