Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Dave,

Thank you very much for hosting the meet again. Very much appreciated. I always enjoy the huge variety of music collections that you played through your "humongous horns". Your new DAC was really something!! Looking forward to hear your new class A amps sometime in the near future!!

It was great meeting new faces and reconnected with the familiar ones. Too bad that a number of the "regulars" could not make it. Once again, thank you Dave for you hospitality.

Regards,

Allan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dave,
I was all ready to attend, and my wife decided to go to my daughters even though she was still sick. :(

My amplifier is running and was ready to take to the event. I would have loved to have heard it on your speakers. So next time I will bring out my recently designed tube power amplifier. Probably 40 watts per channel. The custom Hammond transformers really let this thing rock out. Oh well. This is what it looks like at the moment. Pretty ugly and wearing the protective white plastic wrap Hammond puts on their chassis'.

I left the wires long on the transformers so I can re-use them. I expect to try a number of things with this build, so the excess solder lugs will probably be used. Doing this first one has showed me where I have to place things before the transformers are mounted. I put them on first simply because the wiring started with the power supply and went back to the input last. The wire to the power switch is shielded. It's twisted 18-2 with a shield, the same stuff we use for P-A wire on the larger sites. The 12AX7 input tubes currently have AC powered heaters, elevated to +36 VDC. This may change if the hum is too high. The prototype may need to be rebuilt on a second chassis to sort some things out. The chassis alone is over $50, so I hope this isn't the case.

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN4324.jpg
    DSCN4324.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN4319.jpg
    DSCN4319.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 104
Joined 2005
Paid Member
The shop is available if anyone needs an assembly area, a big drill press, or metal shear, or if anyone wants a test area or load for something new.
( or just wants to play music and drink beer, wine, tequila, scotch, rum, vodka, Gran Marnier, or any other fermented beverage.)

The room is reflective I know. I must have missed the humungous horns where were they? , my favorite bass horn is 8 feet wide by 42 inches tall and so far I haven’t found a pair or had the nerve to install them..................

Well Yes the shop speakers aren’t exactly domestic, but for driving them with a single power amp to demonstrate about as efficient a load as there is. I will have a Mac mini with Amarra and Dirac running next meet which does digital domain room and speaker frequency response correction by inverse correction from mic measurements. The Amarra program can choose the tracks and control the volume from an ipad then, so it can be passed around for listeners to pick their preference of demo tracks. A balanced jfet/fet preamp which matches the new dac for topology and construction will be ready soon. The 2 chassis for new 150 watt monoblock class A power amps arrived today so I’ll have to get off my butt..................

Last edited:
The shop is available if anyone needs an assembly area, a big drill press, or metal shear, or if anyone wants a test area or load for something new.
( or just wants to play music and drink beer, wine, tequila, scotch, rum, vodka, Gran Marnier, or any other fermented beverage.)

The room is reflective I know. I must have missed the humungous horns where were they? , my favorite bass horn is 8 feet wide by 42 inches tall and so far I haven’t found a pair or had the nerve to install them..................

Well Yes the shop speakers aren’t exactly domestic, but for driving them with a single power amp to demonstrate about as efficient a load as there is. I will have a Mac mini with Amarra and Dirac running next meet which does digital domain room and speaker frequency response correction by inverse correction from mic measurements. The Amarra program can choose the tracks and control the volume from an ipad then, so it can be passed around for listeners to pick their preference of demo tracks. A balanced jfet/fet preamp which matches the new dac for topology and construction will be ready soon. The 2 chassis for new 150 watt monoblock class A power amps arrived today so I’ll have to get off my butt..................

Doesn't volume control in the digital domain mean you use less bits?

Doesn't volume control in the digital domain mean you use less bits?

Sure makes it easier to build. But good question, and one I have asked too. Two answers: there's so much digital S/N headroom, not a problem AND/OR you can do what I did, a 4-pot ganged volume control downstream from the DSP.

The VC approach works quite nicely if all digital sources are same gain level, as they ought to be (excepting some recordings made very low with loud short peaks... but you'd have to ride the gain control on those recordings anyway).

B.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
You can chose -as the new preamp uses a 60 step remote controlled reed relay switched balanced attenuator using my favorite naked resistors, so those who find digital attenuation the end of civilization will have the preamp remote control to keep analog alive .

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I’m building plug in adaptar cables for spade, locking banana, and flexible bare wire connections for the speaker wires to hookup to the shop speakers to handle whatever amp connections are required much more easily that the stiff bare wire thats there now.

An all jfet direct coupled cascode single ended preamp with Jung super regulators next time.

Dirac speaker correction from a Mac Mini runiing Amarra.

Working on the all discrete balanced jfet/fet preamp with shunt regulators that matches the 24/194khz - 8 x 1704K dac that was at the last meet. If the preamp is ready I’ll bring both the preamp and the dac, they are identical in build.

It would help me if I know how many are comining to cater the event so i’ll ask for an inication of who’s coming a few weeks in advance.

Any suggestions, Feruary ? March ? April? Never?

Last edited: