Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Looking tricky. Forecast is for freezing rain and ice pellets changing to ice pellets and freezing rain.*

NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop

I'm easy about rescheduling to 'most any other weekend.

B.
*I wish I was kidding. Years ago, I did a human-factors study of how ordinary folks (across Canada) understand weather language for AES; like the old forecast, "partly sunny today but partly cloudy tomorrow".

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's time to separate the boys from the men.

It's tricky to reschedule for me. Tomorrow just happened to fall on a day I'm not needed elsewhere.

If we do get freezing rain, just avoid the 401 and 407 using major surface streets. No problem. I'm not worried about the weather, it's the morons that inevitably clock the streets who don't know how to drive.

Hi Ben,
That is the US weather service. Lookup something in Toronto.

-Chris

I am not too worry about the road way under freezing rain, I heard the road crews are ready and the roads will be salted. My experience was that the wind screen could ice up badly and visibility becomes limited. However, if the freezing rain is not that heavy, the defrost will take care of things.

With the warning came out early, I suspect the road way and streets will be "barren" tomorrow morning:D. So less "idiots" on the road, which means easier driving.

I survived the big ice storm in Montreal last century where heavy freezing rain lasted almost a week and "killed" a large number high tension powerline tower. I had to spend 40 minutes every morning scraping the ice off my car before driving to work everyday.

I will show up no matter unless Dave cancel. Let' hope for the best and prepare for the worse.

Regards,

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, that sounds fine by me. I'll make it in without too many problems unless Dave cancels.

I can bring in a tube amplifier (Eico HF-87) if anyone is interested. It's rebuilt, but mostly stock. I'm designing an amplifier using this as a starting point, but with better transformers and new circuitry. Just starting the build, so nothing to see yet except the new Hammond iron.

I can also bring in a Keysight multimeter if anyone wants to see a current meter. I'll see if I can get a Counterpoint SA-5000 preamp I've modified. That might come with my +1.

I'm suggesting this in case the turnout is light.

-Chris

It's time to separate the boys from the men.

It's tricky to reschedule for me. Tomorrow just happened to fall on a day I'm not needed elsewhere.

If we do get freezing rain, just avoid the 401 and 407 using major surface streets. No problem. I'm not worried about the weather, it's the morons that inevitably clock the streets who don't know how to drive.

Hi Ben,
That is the US weather service. Lookup something in Toronto.

-Chris

+1
Just drive carefully.

Thanks Ticknpop for hosting a great meet!!

Again, thanks for a great meet up. Super location! Perfect venue :)

Great to reconnect with former members... Lo_Tse, Jay, Dug etc
Great to make new connections in the GTA.

Great sound from awesome 'shop' speakers. Great to hear Counterpoint SA-5000, Dug's Class D & Ticknpop's massive class A amp. Great to find someone else who loves BG caps as much as I do!

Again thanks to all. Drive carefully...
Walter

Here are some pix from today.

From L-R

Group
Eico amp and Counterpoint pre-amp with F5 behind it
F5
My TPA3116 PBTL DUG-1 with arduino controlled preamp
15W/channel amp
TPA3255 amp

Respective owners can comment more about their equipment...can't remember everything :)

Great event.

Thanks Dave for hosting.

Looking forward to a warmer weather event.

Attachments

• IMAG3930.jpg
    IMAG3930.jpg
    809.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG3937.jpg
    IMAG3937.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG3936.jpg
    IMAG3936.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG3933.jpg
    IMAG3933.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMAG3932.jpg
    IMAG3932.jpg
    838.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG3931.jpg
    IMAG3931.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Slagle AVC

A couple of people asked me about the Autoformer Volume Control... specifically where to get the autoformers. They are the artistry of Dave Slagle at Intact Audio. intact audio

They were reviewed by Enjoythemusic.com many years ago.
The Slagle Autoformer Volume Control Modules Flawless reproduction of ambient clues and amazing spatial impression. Review By Dick Olsher

I heard about them from Arthur Salvatore. He listed them as reference quality preamp/linestage. He used the EMIA product which contains the same part hand made by Slagle. The EMIA costs mega$ but it is just a fancy box with the $200 autoformer.

Attachments

• Phone back up Aug 23 2014 096.jpg
    Phone back up Aug 23 2014 096.jpg
    855.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I would like to join others in thanking Dave (ticknpop) for hosting the get together. It was fun listening to different gears and talked about audio and other stuffs. Really enjoy the music collections that Dave has.

It was great to reconnect with "old faces" - Walter, Jaimo, DUG, Anantech, Daze2 etc.; and to meet new ones.

Hopefully, we can do that again sometime in the near future. Thank you again Dave for your hospitality. Much appreciated!

See you guys soon!

Regards,

Pictures

A big thank you to Dave for the meet up. I'm delighted to meet you all.
Here's a few pictures I took this morning.
Miklos

Attachments

• DSC04761b.jpg
    DSC04761b.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC04762c.jpg
    DSC04762c.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 81
  • smDSC04762b.jpg
    smDSC04762b.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 87
  • smDSC04756b.jpg
    smDSC04756b.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 75
  • smDSC04758b.jpg
    smDSC04758b.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 68
  • smDSC04757b.jpg
    smDSC04757b.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 65
  • smDSC04760b.jpg
    smDSC04760b.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 76
  • smDSC04754b.jpg
    smDSC04754b.jpg
    620.8 KB · Views: 82
  • smDSC04752.jpg
    smDSC04752.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 92
  • smDSC04759.jpg
    smDSC04759.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 68
April‘18 Toronto DIY meet

Again, many thanks to Dave for hosting the meeting and laying out tons of snacks and drinks.

Lots of talent in this group, Arduino controlled preamps, hotrodded Counterpoint pre, cool (cold) class D Amps, warm Class A’s, hot Tube Amp all took turns to drive the mind blowing JBL stacks. Pity I didn’t get a closer look at the hand honed aluminium enclosure and some well engineered interconnects that were floating around. I was amazed at how good the systems sounded, even in an electrical shop.

Looking forward to the next meet...

I have a few more pics to add. Will do later today.