Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Hi Andrew, The group did meet several times a few years ago and things kinda died down. The four or five meetings were excellent!

I haven't been doing much DIY for a couple of years (study priorities meant that I had no time for anything else) but now that I'm done, I'd like to take on a couple of builds.

I am in for a meeting - late April / early May...

Anyone else interested?

I'd be up for a meeting. It was great to get together and trade ideas and look at people's projects.

I am now retired and can no longer provide the venue.
If anyone has access to a room at an office or the public room at a condo or what not, I am sure we could get a great group together given some lead time.

Walter

I count seven interested people. This is a good start... I will PM folks that previously attended meets and get them to subscribe to this thread.

A quick poll... - select from most preferred to least

2. Whitby / Oshawa
3. Markham / Vaughn
4. Mississauga / Brampton
5. Oakville Burlington

Dates - pick your preferred weekend.

April 14/15
April 21/22
April 28/29
May 5/6
May 12/13
May 19/20

Topics or Themes to build on...feel free to add your particular interests to this list. I prefer to pick a few topics to focus on per meeting rather that bounce all over the place. It will also be a good idea to invite an expert / panel to present on a given topic so the theme concept works to support this.

1. SS Amplifiers.
2. Turntables / analog playback
3. Headphones
4. Digital - DACs / Digital playback
6. Tube related
7. Loudspeakers
8. Test and measurement

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I’m in Mississauga with some interesting jfet/fet electronics and run full range electrostatics with JL audio subs, but live in a townhouse so not a lot of room for hosting or loud volume.

I have a 3000 sq foot electrical manufacturing shop in Toronto.
Finch and Markham Road in Scarborough area.
Lots of empty floor space. No neighbors on the weekend.
Has chairs, small kitchen, fridge and microwave.
Lots of electical , power cords , mobile work tables etc.
So if you want a place its there.

It also has 4 sets of JBL 2 x 18 inch, 12 inch mids, 2440 alnico + 2395 yard wide lens, bullet tweeters - built very close electrically to the big 4350 studio monitors of the 1970s. Like the picture, but black plywood.
All passive x over. Runs off a receiver currently. Working on amps for my next project.

Attachments

• D99D7B16-B151-4C24-960F-CA4568BFAE20.gif
    D99D7B16-B151-4C24-960F-CA4568BFAE20.gif
    368.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Thanks for offering up your space - This is a good start and increases our number to a possible eight attendees!

Your 4350 clone must be amazing - something to drool over. The 12 inch mid will put a smile on any face... I'm a recent JBL convert, running a pair of LSR308's and itching to pull the trigger on the LSR708P's

Last edited:
Glad to join in.

I'm in central Toronto but mobile (esp in good motorcycle weather). Almost any DIY-sort of demo would interest me. Sorry, my present music room is too small for a gathering and my toys too large to transport.

BTW, I've had happy past contacts with Mr. Ticknpop.

Ben

Last edited:
I have some ideas that I want to put to MDF but I find that I can't seem to get the ball rolling when it comes to the woodworking.

1. Whether audio or automotive, there's barely any tool I won't buy to do it myself, cheaper and sometimes better.

2. Often scrounging around Parts Express or Ikea or elsewhere will provide a starting box that can be modified.

3. The more you contemplate, the more you'll invent easy fixes and work-arounds.

4. DIY shops that rent space by the hour.

B.

I’m in Mississauga with some interesting jfet/fet electronics and run full range electrostatics with JL audio subs, but live in a townhouse so not a lot of room for hosting or loud volume.

I have a 3000 sq foot electrical manufacturing shop in Toronto.
Finch and Markham Road in Scarborough area.
Lots of empty floor space. No neighbors on the weekend.
Has chairs, small kitchen, fridge and microwave.
Lots of electical , power cords , mobile work tables etc.
So if you want a place its there.

It also has 4 sets of JBL 2 x 18 inch, 12 inch mids, 2440 alnico + 2395 yard wide lens, bullet tweeters - built very close electrically to the big 4350 studio monitors of the 1970s. Like the picture, but black plywood.
All passive x over. Runs off a receiver currently. Working on amps for my next project.

Sounds like you are our men!! :p
Wow, your speaker system can really rock the house!!
I am fine with the location. It is close to 401 and readily accessible. More importantly, no neighbours on the weekend :D
Saturdays suits me better. I can attend on Sunday too, just need to make some arrangement ahead of time.
My capability to build is much less than you guys. I have recently built a preamp which is s clone of MBL6010 (opamp based). Also put together a Class D amp based on TI's most recent TPA3255 chip. Both I can bring along. Really looking forward to meet you guys!

Regards,