Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2020, 12:58 AM   #1401
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

If we were all honest, we'd recognize the digital design is the future. But most of use take more pleasure in analog design, components you can solder, and the physical side of acoustics.

Am I speaking just for myself?

BTW, my audio life has been immensely enhanced since getting a Behringer DCX2496 DSP (like $180, but takes 2 yrs to get good at setting it). How did I get along without one before?

Ben - hope to see all when this epidemic is over

Last edited by bentoronto; 16th October 2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:36 AM   #1402
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

no, you’re speaking for many of us.

Mikett, my junk box is also constantly expanding. Let’s call it “Mike’s Law”, “a DIY Audio junk box will expand to fill all available space”
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 16th October 2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 16th October 2020, 02:32 AM   #1403
diyAudio Member

Thanks for support.

BTW, I also hate computerized fuel injection in motorcycles and love carbeurators. Guess I'm losing that battle too.

B.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:55 PM   #1404
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenschel View Post
@mikett
Nice stuff.

Could you detail the construction of your DC power cables -- the twisted pairs -- and connectors please?
The connectors are aviation type connectors that I purchased on Ebay. They are very reasonably priced there.
The twisted cables I fabricated using PVC stranded wire hookup cable. The trick is to secure the wires in a variable speed drill. Hold them out in a straight line and then have the drill slowly turn. You then need to use a hand that holds the wires that must be kept separate and you hand must stay close to the twist point and also allow the wire to slip through your fingers as the twisting progresses. If you need to make more than 2 feet then a second person might be necessary. For short runs, I operate the drill with my left hand and I control the twist with my right hand. To keep the twist even, the tension must be kept constant and the more tension, the tighter the twist. For large gauges, a leather glove will help prevent skin burn.

If we had a meet, I could demonstrate the process. It's best that way.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:11 PM   #1405
Mikett is offline Mikett  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDzStereo View Post
I'm currently using a modded Assemblage DAC 3.1, have a jitterbug somewhere in the basement.
Next DAC will likely be Twistedpair ESS 9028/9038
I looked at a twisted pear when I burned out my first DAC board. ( My hand slipped with a probe and AVCC got 12V instaed of 3.3V) and instant smoke, CMOS construction)

Then I started to add up what a Twisted Pear would cost in the end when I would finish and it was not too far off what a Benchmark DAC3 would run and with the Benchmark, the resale value is very high. Whereas with DIY stuff, not that much. So my theory at the time was that the taxes on the Benchmark = cost of DIY DAC or so I thought. Was not to be the case.

The other thing is the amount of work for the chassis in the case. I needed a ready made case and I was able to obtain a DAC case premachined as well as the identical case with no machining for the power supplies. That was a significant factor for me.
Old 16th October 2020, 01:55 PM   #1406
mhenschel is online now mhenschel  Canada
diyAudio Member

@mikett Thanks.

That's a technique reminiscent of one I read in a TAA letter about making pseudo litz cables by twisting. A lot of work to get a tighter twist!

Is the objective to get more turns per inch or to keep the wires close together along their length... or both?

Insulation thickness might be consideration in either case.
Old 16th October 2020, 02:24 PM   #1407
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikett View Post
Got enough light in there? I spot another 1000Watt or something workling on the left side.

Don't laugh, as you get older those things become invaluable. I'm down that hole right now. Soldering can be a bit challenging nowadays especially with the SMD stuff.
LOL the one that is on is 30W, the one that is off is 100W (and it flickers at 60Hz - Annoying!) and the yellow one is a 500W halogen that needs a bulb and has basically been retired.
Old 16th October 2020, 02:27 PM   #1408
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

I twist wire in my drill too, but I use my foot to run the drill so I have two hands for the wire.
Old 16th October 2020, 03:06 PM   #1409
diyAudio Member

I keep a bunch of snap-on ferrite collars around, mostly for aerial leads to TV and, sadly no longer, for FM from Buffalo but could be for audio cables too.

Are these good luck charms or do they help?

B.
Old 16th October 2020, 06:31 PM   #1410
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re Ferrite clamp

IMHO, Ferrite clamps make a difference but to my ear not always a good difference. If I put them on a power cord as often recommended, I find it slightly kills the reproduction of low level information.
Where I use them to advantage is on the safety ground of power cables closest to the consumer. Surprisingly, I find they add to the clarity and low bass. I believe it may reduce RF/EMI on the ground plane but am only speculating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ferrite.jpg (59.1 KB, 42 views)

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetupHide this!Advertise here!