Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2020, 02:16 AM   #1381
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

It is the magic conjunction of relays exactly at 65 that emits the spiritual burp.

Might be fun to untangle the logic of seven relays to see how 65 is created. Might be all seven or might be zero.

BTW, that gizmo might be a perfect solution to a problem many have. When you have signals to amps coming out of a Behringer DSP or when the music comes from a computer. The best trick is to control them after they exit the DSP (lets the DSP run at max bits while you have a nice remote in your hands to control 2 or 4 amps in identical steps... like with extra boards inside the box). I made a little box with 4 Bourns ganged pots, crude in comparison.

Last edited by bentoronto; 9th June 2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 9th June 2020, 03:00 AM   #1382
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks nice though mixed messages in that Ebay ad. 50K is high for an unbuffered passive 'pre'. It also can't maintain a constant impedance to sources since at higher volume settings the downstream power amp's input impedance begins to appear in parallel with the pot. Whether any of that matters will be system dependent.
Agree with bentoronto. 64 is 2**6, too coincidental a binary number. It's possibly the combination of relay logic. If it is completely passive testing with an ohmmeter between output and ground while switching volume from 60 though 70 with an empty input selected might give a clue.
Old 9th June 2020, 05:52 PM   #1383
ticknpop is offline ticknpop  Canada
diyAudio Member

I’ve used the twisted Pear unit - Volumite/Joshua Tree with a remote optically controlled Linear Alps pot to drive the Omron relays. Its good

I now use the Bent Audio volume control which ises totally silent Pickering reed relays from the UK. A balanced Bent Audio relay version is expensive. I won’t even talk about resistor types.................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 661AA009-AE75-487C-B14D-139DCD1A1499.jpg (994.7 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by ticknpop; 9th June 2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 9th June 2020, 05:55 PM   #1384
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

I used to use one of these but I reverted to a 2$ Alpha pot.
Resistor volume control 256 steps unbalanced stereo w/ highly reliable relays !! | eBay

I like the rainbow ribbon cables
Old 9th June 2020, 05:57 PM   #1385
diyAudio Member

The ribbon cable was extra
Old 21st August 2020, 09:57 AM   #1386
diyAudio Member

With all the time at home there should be a minimum 2 new projects per attendee at the next meet. (only after a proven vacine).

I’m finishing the jfet phono stage I’ve been working on for a decade ( or more) that matches the dac and preamp I brought last year. Now to get the turntable running.

I plan to try Bob Cordells / Rick’s Hafler driver board on a Perreuax Hitachi lateral mosfet amp later in the fall - hopfully its stable .......

Hope you remain well.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:19 AM   #1387
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Since covid, I built a tube integrated amp and my take on the de-lite amp from Nelson Pass... Mine is a hybrid using tubes for VAS and a single MOSFET as a source follower using a 300W light bulb as the load. Amazing sounding for an amp with no gnfb

I'm trying to decide if I want to make an all in one integrated now. My current ones use a separate PSU.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:44 AM   #1388
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello folks,

Dave, I have found two that have signed up as beta testers trying out DH-220C in a DH-500 chassis. For the Perreuax, using three output pairs, I suggest to use the P230 output stage containing the extra supply filters and Zobel networks. Not sure how it would fit mechanically, but something to consider. Could help with stability. Bob has evaluated DH-220c in a P230 chassis successfully. It has three o/p pairs.
Another beta tester wired up a DH-220 as a mono-block, drove four pairs using one driver and both heatsinks.

Stay safe everyone

Cheers
Rick
Old 23rd August 2020, 01:46 AM   #1389
diyAudio Member

Rick,

The Perreaux’s mechanical layout won’t allow me to use the P230 Output board.
i’ve added additional multiple power supply decoupling caps right at the output devices, and the output zobel is right at the output devices. The Perreaux pc board lets me use paralleled film/foil caps for high current zobels. The output choke is 12 gauge solid core. I may have to tweak the choke and caps once I test, but October maybe

The power supply was 2 x 18,000uf /100 volt caps, but I was able to fit a soft start, a Quasimodo snubbed Hexfet bridge, and made it a CLC with 2 x 56,000uf .47mh chokes and 2 x 18,000uf and it looks totally stock. A separate small transformer powers a DC protect board and the turn on delay speaker relay.

I just need to build up new driver boards and test it with single devices and then move to the output triples. But 2 front end projects to finish first.

Dave

Last edited by ticknpop; 23rd August 2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 11th September 2020, 09:20 PM   #1390
twitchie is offline twitchie  Canada
Magic Smoke Liberator
diyAudio Member

Anyone in the GTA interested in joining the group buy for Cinemag SUTs (step up transformers)? I can have the units shipped to me and arrange local pickup to save on shipping. Please PM me by Sept 13 (Sunday) if you are interested.

Cinemag 1254 SUT Round II

Cheers,
Stephen

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetupHide this!Advertise here!