Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2019, 02:31 AM   #1281
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Much appreciated!! It is a regular preamp, so RCA in and out. I can bring a set. Not sure what connectors your test set used.

Regards,
Old 4th December 2019, 02:43 AM   #1282
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

It uses BNC, but I have BNC/RCA adapters.
Old 4th December 2019, 03:15 AM   #1283
ticknpop is offline ticknpop  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes I bring my boards, there are several unmodified Haflers there, and the Perreaux 3150 chassis and power supply for a high powered version.
I recapped and CLC filtered the Perreaux‘s power supply so I can’t use the original Hitachi 135/50 devices because now it doesn’t sag enough at full power to stay within the Voltage breakdown limits of the Hitachis. Rails are +/-95 volts.
I have matched sets the higher voltage and current K176/J56 Hitachi devices and a set of the double die TO3 Exicons. The heatsink is drilled for 3 of each device And before some-ones says it can’t work ( Syn08 possibly), remember this amp is 33 years old and had the original output devices still running In it.
Old 5th December 2019, 03:38 AM   #1284
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
. Rails are +/-95 volts.
I have matched sets the higher voltage and current K176/J56 Hitachi devices and a set of the double die TO3 Exicons. The heatsink is drilled for 3 of each device And before some-ones says it can’t work ( Syn08 possibly), remember this amp is 33 years old and had the original output devices still running In it.
It will work, since these are self protecting lateral mosfets and therefore won’t blow in your face, but I would not hope to get much current out of them. They still have only 1S transconductance, which will drop with the drain current and the temperature.
Old 5th December 2019, 04:13 AM   #1285
ticknpop is offline ticknpop  Canada
diyAudio Member

It’s going to use Bob Cordell’s new Hafler output stage driver board the Rick has been collaborating with Bob on - to run the shop speakers (100db @ 1 watt) - 2 pairs of them with about 3 ohm minimum load in the bass, most of the time they’ll be running at less than a watt or 2 - except when I play them too loud at Diyaudio meets.

My question will be can I use 3 pairs of the double die 16 amp Exicons to get a higher current output capability that maybe I can’t bias high enough because of heatsink limitations, or stick with the lower current single die 7 amp Hitachis and bias them harder.

Last edited by ticknpop; 5th December 2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 5th December 2019, 07:01 AM   #1286
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
It’s going to use Bob Cordell’s new Hafler output stage driver board the Rick has been collaborating with Bob on - to run the shop speakers (100db @ 1 watt) - 2 pairs of them with about 3 ohm minimum load in the bass, most of the time they’ll be running at less than a watt or 2 - except when I play them too loud at Diyaudio meets.

My question will be can I use 3 pairs of the double die 16 amp Exicons to get a higher current output capability that maybe I can’t bias high enough because of heatsink limitations, or stick with the lower current single die 7 amp Hitachis and bias them harder.
The double dies exicons will simply double the available current, you can think of 3 exicons as 6 hitachis in parallel.

The problem with these laterals is the large idle power dissipation due to the high required bias. It is hard and doesn’t make much sense to bias them under the zero tempco point (about 150 mA per transistors) meaning that 3 exicons will need almost 1A bias. You do the math for the power you have to dissipate before getting 1W of output power.
Old 7th December 2019, 03:50 PM   #1287
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a "warm" day and no snow is expected.
See you guys same time (around 11:30 am ?) same place!!

Regards,

Allan
Old 7th December 2019, 04:29 PM   #1288
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Beats the heck out of previous years. I would show up regardless of the weather.

-Chris
Old 8th December 2019, 01:24 PM   #1289
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

See you all soon. Walter
Old 8th December 2019, 02:51 PM   #1290
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Just waiting for my ride in. See you all soon.

Here he is ...

-Chris

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetupHide this!Advertise here!