Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2019, 09:25 PM   #1191
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

It is worth attending. Car pooling is a must!

-Chris
Old 30th June 2019, 03:15 AM   #1192
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

I usually go on the first day (Friday) - less crowded. "if" our group decided to participate in the DIY "show off", I can help out.
Old 30th June 2019, 12:44 PM   #1193
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good suggestion. I will attend Friday. I am focused on seeing the commercial equipment. I'll never buy any of it, but cool to see/hear what is out there.
Like visiting the Ferrari dealership. I look but do not buy.
Old 30th June 2019, 12:55 PM   #1194
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
Good suggestion. I will attend Friday. I am focused on seeing the commercial equipment. I'll never buy any of it, but cool to see/hear what is out there.
Like visiting the Ferrari dealership. I look but do not buy.
+1

I bring a CD with brief selections from some of my favourite test pieces. Some vendors can't play it and some make excuses not to play it.

Last time I went, the suites had numerous vinyl recording set-ups. And special cables. What does that say about the sanity of the industry? Sad to see so many vendors who would rather cater to delusional and faddish buyers than devoted to advancing the SOTA.

(Hope I'm not hurting anybody's feelings.)

My treat is hearing large Martin Logan electrostats. Sure sound different to my ears compared to box speakers. Soooooo many boxes.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 30th June 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 30th June 2019, 03:36 PM   #1195
kct is offline kct  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
+1

I bring a CD with brief selections from some of my favourite test pieces. Some vendors can't play it and some make excuses not to play it.

Last time I went, the suites had numerous vinyl recording set-ups. And special cables. What does that say about the sanity of the industry? Sad to see so many vendors who would rather cater to delusional and faddish buyers than devoted to advancing the SOTA.

My treat is hearing large Martin Logan electrostats. Sure sound different to my ears compared to box speakers. Soooooo many boxes.

B.
I totally hear you. I have just been on the HighEnd show in Munich, and experienced myself the overwhelming sad silliness first hand. On all accounts mbl took the cake. They fabricate hopelessly overpriced and totally under performing yet beautiful looking electronic junk. Same goes for another well known company, seriously advertising they're flagship reference amplifier with a whopping 0.5% THD. WTF ?

But hey, if there is a market for this sad silliness, why not cover the demand and make a pretty penny on this ?

So I adjusted my expectations substantially lower, meaning don't expect too much other than pretty looking gear and hopeless high prices. As far as amplifier audio performance goes, there are some fellows on here that can easily blow these 'professionals' out of the water, beating 0.5% THD is not too hard even for a novice with little skill.
Old 30th June 2019, 03:58 PM   #1196
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
Affordable triode connected sweep tube amps.
diyAudio Member

They will probably tell you the 0.5% THD is mainly 2nd order and makes the amp sound "warmer"... LOL
Old 30th June 2019, 04:27 PM   #1197
kct is offline kct  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodabmx View Post
They will probably tell you the 0.5% THD is mainly 2nd order and makes the amp sound "warmer"... LOL
Oh yes, they give all the sing and dance you can imagine. It's so sad...
Old 30th June 2019, 04:50 PM   #1198
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I normally meet a friend from Ryerson days (University now), so he's pretty much locked into a weekend day. I can ask if he wants to take a vacation day to attend on the Friday.

-Chris
Old 30th June 2019, 05:37 PM   #1199
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
+1

B.
If you are bring our own gears, you can play whatever music you want

So, is anyone interested in showing off our diy stuffs? Actually if we demonstrate how good our diy stuffs are, I am worry that the organizer will not allow any diy gear "show off" next year due to objection from the vendors. Hey, I think it will be fun.

Well, the purpose of the show is to promote sales. So we really cannot fault the exhibitors, especially if the admission is free:.

Regards,

Greater Toronto Area DIY meetupHide this!Advertise here!