Adelaide DIY hi-fi meetings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your presence at the LX521 demonstration. The speakers were commented on favourably by some people who know their stuff, one being Jack Davis a one time speaker designer at Duntec.

What was a little unfortunate was that the large venue revealed some non linearity at higher volumes. This was almost certainly due to a failing electro cap in the negative supply for the mid power amps, now fixed.

We tried to tame a strong reflection from the wall behind the speakers with screens but it was only partially successful.

Just a couple of days before the meeting a guy came over from Melbourne especially to hear the speakers; so they are creating quite a bit of interest.

Keith

Hi All

Not certain if the next AES meeting holds much interest, but here are the details.

Subject, AV Technical Tour - Burnside Uniting Church.
7.30pm, Tues 18th June 2013
384 Portrush Road (cnr Fisher St) Tusmore.

Products mentioned include Roland digital mixers, multicore systems and vision mixer. ElectroVoice speaker systems.

The committee will be having a counter tea at the Robin Hood Hotel 315 Portrush Rd, Norwood from 6PM. Others may care to join us.

Keith

Hi All
The next AES meeting is to be presented by Graham Dicker, a one time recording person at the ABC. He is going to play some of his collection of analog master tapes on some vintage equipment.

Tuesday 16th July 7.30pm.
Upstairs room Directors Hotel
247 Gouger St Adelaide

The c'tee will be having a counter tea downstairs from 6pm. Visitors are welcome to join us.

Keith

Next AES meeting, Adelaide

Hi all
Studio loudspeakers & high quality amplifiers
Frank Hinton, Grover Notting Loudspeakers
Hugh Dean, Aspen Amplifiers

Hosted by NovaTech Creative Event Technology
153 Holbrooks Road, Underdale, SA
7.30pm, Tues 20th August 2013.

This will be a demonstration of two way monitor speakers called code 4. Frank and Hugh will be talking about the speakers and amplifiers respectively.

Bring your names and email addresses on a piece of paper so we can give them to the secretary and get you on the email list for meeting notices. Alternatively I could give you his email address.

See you there?

Keith

Next AES Meeting, Adelaide

Hi All

The topic of next meeting is "How to equalise sound systems (or not)"
The presenters are Peter Morris, Adelaide Sound Hire, and our Chairman, David Murphy who works at Krix Loudspeakers; part time, these days.

Upstairs Room, Directors Hotel
247 Gouger Street, Adelaide

7,30pm, Tues 17th September 2013

As per usual the Committee will be meeting/eating downstairs from 6pm. Others may care to join us.

Keith

Welcome Guest at AES Meeting

Last night I attended the regular AES Meeting here in Adelaide.

I was pleased to be invited as a guest and found the AES members to be a friendly bunch. Many thanks for your hospitality.

My particular interest of course is DIY Audio in a domestic hi fi application. AES members are concerned with audio in a public entertainment/studio/commercial environment and it was fascinating to learn about the different issues that apply in this situation and about the different approaches used to solve some of these issues.

I was able to meet some of the local Adelaide DIY Audio enthusiasts who were also in attendance. I hope to keep in touch with you all and look forward to many more discussions on the subject we all share so passionately.

Once again - thankyou all for your warm welcome. Thanks also to guest speakers Peter and David who helped make the evening such a fascinating experience.

Hugh Sparrow

Last edited:
Currently doing final Uni assignment for the year. I have a few days work to do ( mainly pouring concrete for the bass horn ) but as soon as they are finished i would love some help in setting up, measuring and tuning the system.

Cool, the bass horns have progressed! I'm happy to help out, just let me know when you need it and I'll try and be available.

….. progress pictures

Attachments

• Bass.JPG
    Bass.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Horns.JPG
    Horns.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 193
Next Adelaide AES meeting

Hi all, Next meeting will be on Tuesday 19th November 7.30pm in the upstairs room, Directors Hotel, 247 Gouger St.

We are having a return visit by Graham Dicker who is going to make a presentation on his "Research in capacitors". One sentence from the meeting notice mentions new methods of testing distortion heard, but so far, non- measured. If you need a reminder of who Graham is see post #43 above.

The meeting will be preceded by a (hopefully) brief AGM, so no need to fret over being a few minutes late.

3GGG and others, you are always welcome to come and have a listen to the Linkwitz LX521 speakers. They sound particularly good since replacing the mid poweramps that were in use at the AES demo. The current amps are diy to a design by a Romanian guy, forum name Roender, in the Solid state forum. There were three group buys of various permutations of printed boards and other parts. A cow of a thing to source parts for but it sounds good!

Keith

I am looking to put together a current state of the art PC as a digital music feed for the play back of high quality digital Computer Audio.

The Digital music source would be iTunes or similar and internet streaming like Sky.FM.

The document below from Audio Quest goes into some technical detail, but I need the assistance of an audio enthusiast who has been through this process or knows someone who has.

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/Computer-Audio-Demystified-WhitePaper-EN-R2.pdf

Can anyone direct me to someone with knowledge. I am in Adelaide.

I am not sure who has done such things, there are a number of threads here: PC Based - diyAudio

I run a computer for some of my music, and just either have it going through the home network, or plugged straight into a pre amp from the sound card. But I am unsure of what it is that you are asking for help with?

On a different note, Keith Taylor, any meetings coming up? Despite giving my email address several times, I still don't receive meeting notices for our local AES meetings, and as a result haven't been to one since the last one you posted.

Hope all is well,

Ryan

Hi Ryan and others.
There have been no AES meeting notices sent out so far this year. Sorry to hear you are not getting them when they are sent. Long term attendees seem to stay on the list but others do not seem to get on the list or get lost somewhere. We may have to ask the secretary to send email confirmation that you have been added to the list.

The next "meeting" will be the CXRoadshow at the Convention Centre on 19th Feb. See cxevents.com.au/ It is a display of equipment for those involved in audio, video, lighting and staging. Admission is free but you will have to fill out some registration details and be given a badge to wear. This is not an AES initiative.

Some time ago I had a visitor from Victoria who came over especially to hear the LX521 speakers. On the 10th of this month four more Victorians came together and had a long listen to them. They seemed pretty enthused, and said it was well worth the long trip.

Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.