Seattle DIY Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Unfortunately, I did forget my tent. I guess I should have checked here for your reminder before going. :eek: Good thing I had enough gas to come all the way home tonight. Come to think of it, the pavement in the parking lot wouldn't go good with tent stakes. Hmmm.......

Everyone had a good time. There was a variety of speakers, amps, a DAC, and even a home-made turntable cut from mostly wood. I'll have to download some pic's tomorrow - even the really cool turntable.

Everone survived the event and, I believe, had a pretty good time. I'll be heading for bed pretty soon to catch up on some much needed sleep, but hopefully I'll be able to add my two-bits worth tomorrow.
:D

Best Regards,
Terry

pictures!

Thought I had taken more. I know I missed some of the speakers. Jay brought some DQ-20's, which I regret not having a picture of now. Hopefully someone else has a shot of Jay's (and others that I missed).

Anyway, I'll group them by post to make captions easier. A 4-way, with some "voofen" that might interest our buddy Cal in Canada, eh? :D

Attachments

• seattle_diy_2011 005.JPG
    seattle_diy_2011 005.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 119
I brought in my 2.1 computer/office set up. The woofer is a Dayton 8" DVC in a ported, 30 liter box, tuned to about 28 Hz. The plate amp is a 2.1 class D, with variable crossover, sub volume, and separate satellite volume. The satellites are some old ratshack drivers from about 20 years ago. The paper cone 4" wide range and paper cone tweeter have a pretty nice detail. The speaker cables are of the "white lightning" variety, as described in a 6Moons article from a few years back. All in all, a fun project for under $200.

Attachments

• seattle_diy_2011 007.JPG
    seattle_diy_2011 007.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 115
TerryO's curved arrays are always a point of interest. The Adire AV8's really fill out the bottom end, and the sweet spot ... well what more can you say?! :D

Don't recall if the GainClone was hooked up at this time or not.

Attachments

• seattle_diy_2011 009.JPG
    seattle_diy_2011 009.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,946
Also brought my 3-way series that kept me off the streets for a few months last year. I believe Damon's amp was driving them at this time. Several other amps were used, including Terry's Gainclone, one of Rene' Jaeger's latest creations, among others. It was all good.

Attachments

• seattle_diy_2011 008.JPG
    seattle_diy_2011 008.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 118
Here's the latest creation by Will Jennings, with a description provided by Will himself

"My speakers used a JBL 2226H woofer and B&C DE250 driver on a QSC waveguide. They were essentially a primo version of the 4π by Wayne Parham."

Nice job Will!

Attachments

• seattle_diy_2011 004.jpg
    seattle_diy_2011 004.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 85
Thought I had taken more. I know I missed some of the speakers. Jay brought some DQ-20's, which I regret not having a picture of now. Hopefully someone else has a shot of Jay's (and others that I missed).

Anyway, I'll group them by post to make captions easier. A 4-way, with some "voofen" that might interest our buddy Cal in Canada, eh? :D

These are actually 3 way, the midranges are in series.

Also brought my 3-way series that kept me off the streets for a few months last year. I believe Damon's amp was driving them at this time. Several other amps were used, including Terry's Gainclone, one of Rene' Jaeger's latest creations, among others. It was all good.

That's my industrial-fugly Leach ver 4.4x (still being tweaked) amplifier sitting in the center. Built in the early 80s and still going strong after a major upgrade in the latter 90s. Still looking for a better solid state amplifier design to replace it.

--Damon

And my favorite for last. Off in the side room there was something spinning that caught my eye. I know I don't get out much, but I don't think I ever saw anything like that, or even expected anything like it. You really have to see it to believe it. Nice job, Jeremy! I bow in the presence of your cool :cool: factor.
:yes:
The Econowave speakers were also Jeremy's, although Will assembled the crossovers for him. Nice sound, in a wavy gravy cool setting. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Attachments

• seattle_diy_2011 001.jpg
    seattle_diy_2011 001.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 82
  • seattle_diy_2011 002.JPG
    seattle_diy_2011 002.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 86
  • seattle_diy_2011 003.JPG
    seattle_diy_2011 003.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 90
TerryO's curved arrays are always a point of interest. The Adire AV8's really fill out the bottom end, and the sweet spot ... well what more can you say?! :D

Don't recall if the GainClone was hooked up at this time or not.

Hi Dave,

From your picture it looks like Rene's Class A, Push-Pull amp is driving them. As usual, Rene' turned out another superb amp for everyone's enjoyment, although there's another builder out there finishing up "his" masterpiece.
:D

It was a pretty good meet and people certainly had the opportunity to try out different combinations of gear.

Best Regards,
Terry

Terry can you do me a favour and measure your 8" woofers? My minds eye sees something larger.

Cal,
Just cut that out, you're viewing them with the look of love in your "mind's eye". :rolleyes:

The AV8 is only 8 inches across. The cabinet is tuned to 33-34 Hz and as far as we could measure them at DaveR's place, they seem to be about that in-room. With the right music, they have a pretty fair amount of impact on the bottom end.

Best Regards,
Terry

I don't have them in front of me, but if I recall, the mounting flange of the AV8 was a little larger than most speakers. The overall diameter might be closer to 8.5", which might give the impression being a larger woofer.

Of course, TerryO will need to provide the facts and data. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.