2010 Ottawa DIY Audio Get Together

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Greetings from Ottawa

Where the local DIY audio community held its first get together event on 19 June 2010 at the General Burns Community Centre. I’ll be posting some pictures below. Feel free to comment, ask questions, post your own pictures, etc. Many thanks to all who participated and made this event possible.

Pierre

Joined 2004
Paid Member
An overview of the set up in mid afternoon. The room had nice dimensions, a cathedral ceiling, and good acoustic properties. Equipment was set up at one end, and we were listening in the middle.

Attachments

• DSC_0398.jpg
    DSC_0398.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 625
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Second set of speakers are Rick's Dynamic 1S (as the two-way above, a Clearwave Loudspeaker design). Dayton RS180-4, TangBand W4-1337, and Vifa XT25 in a three-way ported monitor. Rick makes his cabinets. Look at these baffles!

Attachments

• DSC_0274.jpg
    DSC_0274.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0271.jpg
    DSC_0271.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC_0267.jpg
    DSC_0267.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 535
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ron Urquhart brought some vintage speakers he purchased real cheap to discuss if they are worth fixing. These are JVC Zero 4. Look at this ribbon tweeter. Not sure who made it but it sure looks nice.

Attachments

• DSC_0300.jpg
    DSC_0300.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC_0303.jpg
    DSC_0303.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Repost from another thread.

It was indeed a great time. I was surprised at the low turnout but we still had a full day of listening with much experimentation. While some were able to stay the full day, others came by early and some later. Some people droped by, left for a time and returned after meeting other obligations. The point here is: don't write the event off if you have other commitments that will not take up the whole day. We had the hall from 8 to 8 and pretty much used every minute of it.

This event was education for me on so many levels. I am glad I was able to attend. Many pictures were taken and I'm sure as people get the time to sort and post we will all be able to see some of what was presented.

A big thank you to Pierre for his organizational skills on this one. Not just the hall booking but the documentaion of the proceedings will go along way to keeping the details straight for the future.

Also, I perhaps more than anyone would like thank Bob at CSS and Owen from OPC for donating some great prizes.

And thanks to all the folks that patiently answered my many questions. I vote to do this again. I thought the location was fine.

Rick.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Rick - Glad to hear that you liked the location and enjoyed the event. I too learned a lot throughout the day.

Speaking of the prizes, here are a couple pictures of the nice TRIO12 woofer that was donated by Bob at CSS (thank you, Bob).

Attachments

• DSC_0373.jpg
    DSC_0373.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC_0376.jpg
    DSC_0376.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 353
This was a weekend i had been looking forward to. Owen's line arrays were just plain fantastic. i hadnt heard anything with that small of a footprint sound so effortless. Pierres towers were just absolutely fantastic, i felt like i could listen to them forever!

i was however pleasantly surprised to find that my center channel, although crossoverless, could keep up plenty well with speakers that cost quite a bit more to build. I think Pierre stood up once i hooked up the center and asked what drivers they were. (creative sound EL70's)

i don't think i could have been happier than when i saw Pierre smiling listening to a very discerning piano track. (his speakers are so fantastic sounding that i took this as a huge compliment)

Marks subwoofer was absolutely insane!
Thats all that needs to be said about this beast.
(30 watts was more than enough to get the floor literally moving to the beat)

Ricks RBR's ended up being quite impressive, i wouldn't have expected the bass to be so fulfilling. His S1's had that intial shock of WOW! these are so detailed its amazing, but became a little fatigueing over time. His handywork leaves nothing to be desired.

Overall, i want to do this again. and again. and again...
Next time ill bring my amp to run marks sub. and my in line low pass crossover to keep setup simple. Anyone wanna help me lift my cerwin vegas? 18x18x32 @ 95lbs each. lol.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Adam's center channel, driven by a Kenwood KR9400 receiver that Ron brought with the JVC speakers. This receiver was Kenwood's top of the line in the mid 70s, puts out 120 watts per channel, and has the reputation of sounding great and having an excellent tuner.

Attachments

• DSC_0436.jpg
    DSC_0436.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0310.jpg
    DSC_0310.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 330
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is Mark's prototype subwoofer. According to his notes, this enclosure is categorized as a front loaded folded horn. The driver within the subwoofer is the TRIO12 from Creative Sound Solutions. In the picture below, Adam kindly agreed to lay down on top of the sub to show its size. The driver is hidden behind the triangular panel. The horn is folded three times. The F3 or minus 3 db point in the response is 16 Hz.

As Adam pointed out, this is a very efficient sub. And it does indeed dig quite low in practice, not just in theory. It changed my expectations of what Saint-Saens third symphony (with organ) is supposed to sound like.

Many thanks to Mark and Adam for bringing this sub for a one-day event.

Attachments

• DSC_0424.jpg
    DSC_0424.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 201
Some great pics Pierre!

By the way, I ended up with a balanced interconnect in my box of cables that is not mine. It has a loop of green masking tape on it. Check your gear folks and let me know who it belongs to and I can make arrangements to get it back to you.

Here are some of my pics:

URL]

Pierre and Ron early in the day.

URL]

Most of the early morning group with ears bent. From left to right: Mark, Wolfgang, Ron, Pierre and Adam.

URL]

Owen patiently answering questions about his line arrays.

URL]

Owen's open concept set up.

URL]

By mid day we were still trying new things.

URL]

After we helped Owen pack up we still had time for Ron's vintage gear and Adam's centre.

URL]

In the early evening we were a little less upright perhaps but Mark woke us up near the end with some organ music that excercised the big box in the corner.

All in all, a great way to spend the day.

It changed my expectations of what Saint-Saens third symphony (with organ) is supposed to sound like.

Hey Pierre

That's my purpose in life. Warping one persons concept of good sound at a time. Evil plan I know! Wait till I bring the line arrays I'm working on. A bit different from Owen's as they have an integrated subwoofer in the design but still the same principle.

Next meet. THey will be there. Maybe even their little brother the towers.

Once you have heard really good bass it's hard to go back. Muhahahahahh

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.