Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

7th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2010
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2010, 03:31 AM   #131
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

Terry and I made it back via our amphibian route this afternoon. Thanks to Dave D. for the extra caffeine boost this morning before departure.

For a first-timer, I had a great time new friends, great weather, and a lot of great gear and good tunes to check out. I am impressed with the unbelievable sound from the single drivers.

I appreciate the kind words on my 3-ways, and glad to hear so many enjoyed them. It was amazing to see the talent of so many others, driven by such enthusiasm. Must . . . find . . . antidote . . . to . . . this . . . solid state . . . rut. Must . . . seek . . . tubes!

And of course, the hospitality was second to none. Thanks to Dave D. and of course, Ruth.

Looking forward to doing it again.
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:45 AM   #132
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ruth has posted a whack of pictures here: http://7thannualvidiyfest.shutterfly.com/

dave
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:37 AM   #133
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Terry (with his Obama Bib), , speaker assembly/electronics checkup, back deck, Tysen & Jeff discussing the state of the art,Barry.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TerryO-obamaBib.jpg (49.0 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg speakerassembly-4.jpg (90.2 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg BD-sun3.jpg (72.5 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg tysen-jeff.jpg (81.2 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg Barry-glasses.jpg (43.4 KB, 381 views)
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:07 PM   #134
c2cthomas is offline c2cthomas  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Ruth has posted a whack of pictures here: http://7thannualvidiyfest.shutterfly.com/

dave
Thanks for taking the time to get so many of them up so fast Ruth!!!

My hat's off to you for being able to have that lot over for a weekend AND doing the photo's as well - AMAZING!!!!

Wonderful bunch of great looking speakers and gear!

I'm practicing some degree of self control by not commenting about the attendees. Obviously by even making this small statement I still need some more work on that - but then I do have many years of therapy remaining.
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:23 PM   #135
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Once again an event to remember.

Up until about 9pm Saturday that is. All though it didn't rain, I wasn't as dry as I thought I might be so things get a little hazy after that.

A big thanks to Ruth and Dave, gracious hosts as always. Good food, good company, good music, what more do you need in life?

It was really nice to see old friends there. Ones that you come to know through these events and the new ones that were there for the first time. Sad also that some couldn’t make it. Nanook Stew comes to mind. The place wasn’t the same with only one dork there. I did see the box of arms with headshells that together with someone else they had there for others to enjoy and take home. Heck of a nice gesture when you aren’t even gonna be there.

Other noobs included Dave R, Todd, Mathew and his son Colin, Daniels friend Nick, Eric, Fleming, Peter, Bob, Gary and Brenda. I know I’ve left some out but as mentioned, (including someone who’s toolkit I used) things were a little foggy later on. And maybe this wasn’t their first time but...

And the old crowd of friendlies like Terry, Chris, Bob, Daniel, Gregg, Bud, Don, Barry, Frank, Jeff, Jim, and of course, my brother from another mother Scott who remains one of the funniest and most talented guys I know. When I grow up I wanna be just like him. In some ways I have already surpassed him but I wasn’t really talking belly size. One day I’ll get up to his place and get to see all his hard work. I’m afraid the pictures just don’t cut it.

It was also nice to see those who are kind enough to donate for the raffle, that always adds an extra kick to the evening. Mind you, our good friend Terry was a bit piggy with the winning. Not sure how he kept picking his own tickets, we might have to investigate that one. He won so darn many times he had to forfeit most of his prizes, poor guy. He was kind enough to leave at least a couple prizes for his pal Cal in the way of some connectors and a beautiful Trio 12 subwoofer.

Lot’s of good speakers there including the one Scott mentioned. Terry’s friend Dave R made a 3 way with a Silver Flute 6.5 that sounded better than it should and a few of the FR in the appropriate boxes were great as well. I didn’t get upstairs much as I’m simply not allowed there after rum but I hear the systems up there were really good as well.

It was also nice to see the collections of amps and preamps that these guys put together. I couldn’t even make the box they’re in let alone the guts. Some real talent there at this fest.

The porta-potty was a nice touch too. Placed right beside the fallen peetree, in it’s honour.

Thanks again Dave and Ruth for all your hard work. I think we know what it takes to put one of these things on and are very appreciative of all your efforts. Thanks again to all those who pitched in and were a big help to Dave and Ruth whether it was with set-up, assembly or food contributions and prep work, dishes, whatever, it was a big job and it was nice to see they had help. Me? I just sat around and got funnier, taller, smarter and tougher as the night wore on. Just ask me, I was great. What? You don’t agree? Damn, I knew that would happen.
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:07 PM   #136
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default wow, a 1/2 person...

not bad for being a virtual attendee..

hope all who ended up with the head-shells and tonearms will put them to use. I guess I should have drilled the tubes for a wire exit...
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:30 PM   #137
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post

hope all who ended up with the head-shells and tonearms will put them to use. I guess I should have drilled the tubes for a wire exit...
How cool, a single ended tonearm to match our single ended amplifiers!!!!

I did manage to snag one before I left and hope to put it to good use.
Thank You Nanook!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 23rd August 2010, 07:50 PM   #138
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looks to have been a great day. Sadly, being a few thousand miles away, I couldn't be there in person, but the spirit was.
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:02 PM   #139
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Looks to have been a great day. Sadly, being a few thousand miles away, I couldn't be there in person, but the spirit was.
We did notice a certain unexplicable "presence" at the Fest, which prompted a conversation about Patrick O'Brian. Was that you?

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:21 PM   #140
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

1st functioning event speaker was a variation om the MJK/Shearer passive OB with FF85KeN + Eminience Alpha

The baffles are a coffee table top cut in half. Standard height (32"?) but 24" top/28" bottom width.

XO based on Jim's XO using parts in the junk box. Deviations were towards lower XO to compensate for wider baffle. (pics to come)

Sounds pretty good. Still needs work.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mjk-ob-playing.jpg (67.6 KB, 974 views)
File Type: jpg mjk-ob1.jpg (50.8 KB, 926 views)
File Type: jpg mjk-ob2.jpg (63.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg mjk-ob.jpg (65.0 KB, 119 views)

7th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2010Hide this!Advertise here!