7th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2010

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are a few pic's, although mostly repeats.

Our most gracious host, a couple of guys working on a last minute project, and a before and after 5 o'clock shot of the fuzzy guy.

Attachments

• the_host.jpg
    the_host.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 726
  • last_min.jpg
    last_min.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 708
  • after_5.jpg
    after_5.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,169
Last edited:
Maybe just a couple more. Real imagination at work in the styling. And best of all, they sound awesome. I'm always amazed at the sound quality and the broad range of these single driver creations.

Attachments

• in_house1.jpg
    in_house1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,996
  • in_house2.jpg
    in_house2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 777
  • in_house3.jpg
    in_house3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 356
tonearm pictures...

for any interested, I can post a few of an arm I completed last night, essentially exactly what can be made with the head-shells and blocks from Bernie, a counterweight, and the rest of the stuff....to what I sent out...except mine has an effective length in excess of 315 mm :)

Listening to it quickly during my lunch hour... it is better than I remember the original arm sounding. I think the newer design bearing is much better...

Cal can hold his own. He doesn't need me to misbehave.

thanks for emphasizing my point -

let's face it, most of us don't need any enabling to misbehave; but guidance as to a specific direction in which to focus our energies, rather than shattershot, is always helpful

in other words, those so inclined can gracefully find another corner in which to occupy themselves ;)

Last edited:
"The unkindest cut of all."

You're all against me, just like a pack of those Yukon Lickspital Shiskadweebs!
:eek:

Bah Humbug,
"Terribly Tramatized" TerryO

Cry-baby, your former career should have prepared you for submission of HFR through appropriate channels

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PS - oops, I almost forgot the emoticons, ;):grouphug:

actually, this one looks like an official Government agency report ( WCB Form 7 for example)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Who else can't wait for 8th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST, 2011? :)

I should have a project (or 10) ready by then. Maybe something with drivers halfway between the mini polka-dotted FR's and Cal's PA system. And maybe a PP KT88 thingy, and a large Brazilian amplifier (or 3) with fins, worthy of Cal's PA system. I like fins. :p

I have to get this damn DIY house done first.

..Todd

Last edited:
er a pix and some further thoughts....

the arm as shot last night. I have since mounted it at approximately the same height as my SME309, both use Grados. Mounted at 315mm from the centre of the spindle, effective length=330mm. Big ballsy sound. Not the same presentation, but in the same league as the SME. In this case size matters. Oh, no tim spent actually aligning anything, just plunk and dunk :).

I'll actually set the thing up properly on the weekend. If I can develop a good process, I'll definitely produce these commercially.

Dave, the Kynar worked well. In the pst I've always found it it too stiff.

Attachments

• diy arm in action.jpg
    diy arm in action.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Todd, I just had a closer look at your avatar and a light bulb just came on. :)

Yeah, that was shot at some DIY thing in Florence a long time ago. I really should update it; it's so 1500's.

I'll need to use the Hiab for the big finned amps. We should invite a band and have a real DIY party. I have some DIY mics, but no DIY mixing boards (but we can probably use DSP on a DIY computer for that). I wish I had a dollar for every DIY mic cable I've ever made.

..Todd

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.