Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep - as far as I know, this is the only Tuckers in Burlington... The Boston Pizza just to the left of Tuckers has much better looking waitresses but then again, Tuckers has better food!

Yes but given the family nature of the restaurant, you're probably not encouraged to eat the waitresses. :p
Sorry, I just couldn't pass that opportunity. :D

My vote would be for the better food.

I'm tentatively in.

What's the agenda going to be? Is anyone bringing equipment?

Are we going to be listening to equipment?

I could bring a few things, ie Lightspeed attenuator, dcb1 buffer, monica dac...

I could also bring some stuff to swap too...

I think we're in a sort of limbo here. It seems like not enough people to rent this Navy Hall (this time around), and we probably can't do much in the way of listening tests in Tuckers. We can probably bring some show and tell and swap stuff though.

-With Casull out that brings us to 13 total as of now.-

Sorry for speaking up so late, but I'd be interested in attending if it was not at a bar (can't drink) and any fees were kept reasonable.

I'm going to try to be bringing another audio buff (but not DIY guy...yet) with me.

Neither of us has any gear to show (my last subs I built were stolen) <sniff>

Thanks for this, folks.

Hogwild

Well Tuckers is a buffet restaurant not a bar. But they do sell alcoholic beverages so I'm not sure if that counts...

Who shall inquire about the Hall then? I'm willing to, but at this point I must point out that I can't pay for anything in the hundreds of dollars without being divorced.
Presumably this Hall requires payment up front. So unless someone else has a bit more ...permission to use their money... than I, we'd need to start chipping in to my paypal pretty quick to make our target date.

I'm going to say that we need to decide on whether or not we want the hall by say... Monday. Then assuming they're not booked up I will go and put our name down. The time for action is at hand!

P.S.

I can bring a pair of L3886 monoblocks in hokey Maple cases, my loudspeakers are built off this design, no disrespect to the designer (most of his stuff looks amazing) but I think cheap gear may not be his milieu. I'd bring them but to my undying shame they were very, verry sloppily made. The rest of my stuff is either not working, pitched or not finished yet...

Last edited:
I'm in for $10 for a hall. I'd be up for more if we skipped the lunch--this is diyaudio.com not diybuffetsampling.com

Some one mentioned PayPal ... convenient and secure.

Not to be a stick-in-the-mud but I think we should limit our meeting (at least our first one) to diyAudio.com members only. I think this is a fantastic opportunity to put faces to avatars and get to know the person behind the post. If I wanted to talk to audiophiles, I'd just go to my local hi-fi store ...

audiophile =/ d.i.y.er

Maybe I'm being too harsh, I'd love to hear others thoughts ...

I can help with setup (it's totally worth a few Robaxacet!) and I can fit some pretty large equipment in my Golf hatch-back (for those around Hamilton)!

Totally pumped! Let's make this happen!

I'm in for $10 for a hall. I'd be up for more if we skipped the lunch--this is diyaudio.com not diybuffetsampling.com

Some one mentioned PayPal ... convenient and secure.

Not to be a stick-in-the-mud but I think we should limit our meeting (at least our first one) to diyAudio.com members only. I think this is a fantastic opportunity to put faces to avatars and get to know the person behind the post. If I wanted to talk to audiophiles, I'd just go to my local hi-fi store ...

audiophile =/ d.i.y.er

Maybe I'm being too harsh, I'd love to hear others thoughts ..

I can help with setup (it's totally worth a few Robaxacet!) and I can fit some pretty large equipment in my Golf hatch-back (for those around Hamilton)!

Totally pumped! Let's make this happen!

Okay I'll call the hall tomorrow. I'll post the results, at which point I'd like all interested parties to PM me for my paypal details.

Obviously if the hall isn't available (which is a stark possibility) I'll post an alternative date somewhere down the line when the hall is available.

I have a pickup truck so I can do some damage if people need to move stuff from Burlington and nearby.

P.S. I'm seeing little interest in lunch so let's say no to the food.

P.P.S. I used to work in a hifi store and feel audiophiles are just lazy diyers :) If people want to bring family members or friends who are interested I see no issue with that. So long as you're confident we won't be hearing "not as good as my NAD/Paradigm" all afternoon.

Last edited:
Ok raypalmer,

Post your email address in some sort of coded form and the funds will flow!

I'm not the biggest techno nerd so I'm not sure of the safest way to keep the spam bots at bay ...

The comments about the audiophile saying "not as good as my NAD" is sort of my point. We'll be talking about so much more that just impressions of sound (topology, passive/active parts, power supplies, regulation, coupling caps, shielding, layout ... ) that the audiophile will just be lost. Worse, we only have a finite time together and that time will be wasted by comments that don't contribute to the diyer. Again, maybe I'm too harsh ... I'd love to hear others' comments.

Cheers,
Jeff

I feel like maybe someone who actually has the ability to put the downpayment on the hall should do this. I see reluctance to chip in on paypal, and fairplay there are a lot of scammers out there so its not exactly misplaced caution.

I wish I could but I'm young, poor, and leveraged at the mo. I can afford to chip in my part, and help with my truck and time. But we'll never get this hall if I'm the one who needs to be laying down the big bucks. I'm ashamed to say.

Hey:

anatech
JimT
mill23bay
Top Shelf
454Casull??
driftwood??
jpechloe
thefragger
rcavictim

Do you guys have PayPal? If so, send $10 CND to raypalmer at:

Hawks In Finland Inhabit Withered Elms So Th@ Gulls Must Angle In Leagues . Common Option Mainstay

If not, post and we'll cover for ya.

Let's get this dog barking!

Cheers,
Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.