Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pete,
Generally, the cold months of winter and speakers do not mix. The temperature change can also cause the epoxy holding the magnet assy to fail outright. Don't ship speakers in the winter months folks!

Please let me know when this thing is to come together.

-Chris

Greetings All-been lurking for a couple 0f years and decided to join in. To start off the new year and get some kind of meet going, I would like to host a meet at my home in Barrie sometime in latter Feb. or early March. It would be a great way to meet some of the people in this part of the world. I was surprised to see how many of you there are so close to Barrie.
I am able to accommodate about 20 or so people . What I need is some sort of consensus concerning suitable date-Sat. or Sun and time.Please advise if interested and we can plan this together.

Not sure how much of a drive it would be for me to Barrie, I would look to the Canadians interested in having a meet to take the lead on planning it.

Actually I am sort of a Canadian having been born in Kitchener. However now I live in Maine, so whether or not I can participate is questionable.

Thanks for the offer, jscelo.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi jscelo,
The winter may have other plans. Some time later may be better for the folk who live in the GTA and surroundings.

Hi MCPete,
If you wished to go, and if I can go, we can meet and drive up from Georgetown if you'd like. A little company on the way never hurt anyone. I'm going to make a guess and say you have a good idea where G'town is.

This way you get a washroom break and a coffee, and you don't have to drive the entire way. It's only a small break for you, but it'll help breathe life back so you can enjoy the get together. There may also be another member closer to the border that you can team up with so there would be less solo traveling.

Just a thought ...

-Chris

Barrie is in the Toronto area, is that correct? Anatech, I don't have any idea where Georgetown is. If the meet is to be near Toronto, I think that I would need to bow out. My estimate is that it would be about 700 miles from coastal Maine (Bangor area) to Toronto, which for my circumstances is too far away.

Thanks for the thought of traveling together from Georgetown, Anatech.

Best Regards,
Pete

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pete,
Hey, no problem. It's always nicer to have company when you aren't in your own area. That's why I offered.

Barrie is up on highway 400, well north of Toronto. You do not want to go there at the start of a holiday weekend, or after 3:30 PM on a working day. The 400 turns into a parking lot, no fun in that!

Georgetown is pretty close to your home town, towards the east. It's located on highway #7 in between Trafalgar Road and Winston Churchill (actually a bit west of that). Since we are next door to Toronto in comparison to your travel estimate, I don't think you're coming. For that matter, even St. Catherine's is too far for you. I'm sort of on the way to Barrie from the US - Canada crossings near St. Catherine's.

Should you change your mind, give me a shout. The same goes for anyone else who finds Georgetown isn't too far out of the way going to Barrie.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Heck, You're always welcome over here. I think you can vouch for the fact that there simply isn't any room in my basement though! Upstairs, the poodles roam free. They are friendly - really. See below. The last close-up is of our youngest doggy, Mr. Darcy - the Poodle.

If we are going to head out later, and I can get the car, I'll let you know. Barrie isn't that bad really. It's up the 400 and awayyyy. Now, in the summer months, I'd opt out of that plan. Vacationers have the ability to mess up a perfectly dry, straight road in the daylight without any problem at all.

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN0204 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0204 (Large).JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN0205 (Large) (3).JPG
    DSCN0205 (Large) (3).JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Taking off (Large).JPG
    Taking off (Large).JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN0241 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0241 (Large).JPG
    90 KB · Views: 123
Okay, well I lost track of this thread for a while, but I'm back.

I can't make it up to Barrie too easily-I have some serious health
problems-that's why I offered to host.

Don't have anything to show at a current meeting, but I'm hoping to (re) learn a little about speakers. For that, I've just picked up a Dayton WT3 Woofer Tester (quickly measures Thiele-Small parameters and stuff like that) and a Dayton measurement mic. I'd be happy to bring those along to a meetup if I'm well enough.

Hopefully in the next few weeks, I'll be doing some test baffles for the four 10" woofers I have here, and I'd be willing to move them around if I had help unloading 'em.

BTW, those are some great dog pics. We have a Westie here with us.

Hogwild

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.