Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIYFest

Good Day Everbody attending the "Fest". So far I have 8-9 people showing up.I believe I have responded to everybody's request for directions to my house. Please if I have missed any of you send me a p.m. and I will get back to you A.S.A.P. I am hoping to start about 1pm and we will worry about shut down time when everybody has had enough. I have also had offers of assistance by some of you re organizing the meet. I wonder if for a 1st time meet if we do need much organization. I think that some of you are probably extremely knowledgable (Anatech) and should be able to give a bit of a talk at this time. If anybody has any ideas about this first meet, by all means drop me a line.

Hi, Jscelo

I have just PM you for directions to this Saturday's meet. Thanks!

Lo_Tse

Good afternoon fellow DIYers. A reminder that this is indeed a 'show and tell 'and to please ,if you have anything, bring it along. If you have amplifiers however, it will be difficult to listen to them as my present system is bi-amped with elect. x-over, although I do have a small set of speakers we can hook up. I will also have some test instruments there-scope,audio gen etc. etc. I am hoping Anatech can wrangle a ride and make it up because he is a fount of knowledge and I am sure he would provide us with some very interesting talk(s) about our hobby.Do we wnt a barbecue that day or will everyone have eaten ?. Either way is fine with me.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Hey, a BBQ sounds like an amazingly good idea! Burgers and dogs would probably keep the throng happy. ... Do you want fries with that? :D

It's been overly busy for me as of late, and I am now unable to drive there myself. If there is anyone passing near G'town on the way up, may I hitch a ride? I really do want to attend and would really love to meet everyone. I'm pretty sure the get together will be extremely enjoyable for all. That includes anyone who doesn't have anything on the go, or is simply interested.

I don't have that much in the way of test gear I would be comfortable in transporting, but there are a couple things (small things) I can bring that might be of interest to everyone. There are a couple small jigs that are easy to make that might really help with projects. They look terrible, so that should give everyone an extra boost of confidence! I have documentation that I'd be very happy to email to interested parties. Some of you may have some great ideas on how to improve these things too. We all win.

I have a test jig I built 20 years ago (or more) for testing speaker drivers for T-S parameters. I used it for a lot of projects, so some variation on it may also be of interest to some members. I'll drag that up too if you want.

So again, I really need a ride if anyone can make it to Georgetown. Please let me know if this is possible. You can PM me, or email direct bhome at sympatico dot ca will work. G'town is in the 905 at eight seven seven, one four three seven. I have a dialing plan with Bell, so I can call you back to avoid charges. Just message or email me with a request to call in that case.

Take care everyone and I hope to see you all up there!

John, thank you for organizing this. I'm sure we'll see other members following your lead.

-Chris

Greetings-Saturday at about 1pm sounds fine for me;if you are earlier that is fine also. I will get a supple of tube steaks and hamburgers in to-night.Anatech says he loves cooking-great.If any of you would like to bring some chips and pop that would be good too.I also have a sheltered deck for those who want fresh air and the family room is more than large enough to accomodate us. I am looking forward to meeting all of you tomorrow. Regards John.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jeff,
I wouldn't be too worried about missing this one. Mostly, I think it will be about meeting each other and messing around a bit. Other informal meetings will occur over time once the ice had been broken. I can't see any reason why this meeting can't be repeated in various places that might better suit some members that can't make it to this one.

I'm going to bet that once a DIY community here gels, we'll see other interested people attend. Nothing but positive things will come of this. For our business oriented members, it is an excellent opportunity to "network". For those looking to hire someone for whatever job, here will be a collection of motivated and intelligent people to choose from. Great opportunities for both business and individuals.

Of course, it's also a wonderful way to get people involved in experimenting and possibly even building some projects. A group design with a group buy of PCBs may even come out of this at some point. What can be achieved with a group of talented people is probably beyond what you might think. All this through community and friendship. Remember, we all have skills - even if we don't consider ourselves to be skilled!

Looking forward to this John. As for cooking, I'm not sure how long my back can take the job, but I'll at least be able to reduce the load on the official chef. SY is the one you want cooking though to be honest with you. He is amazing. Too bad he's in Texas and not up here. Could it be the cold temperatures?

There are a number of subjects I can talk on if it's desired. If there is a consensus, we can pick a topic or simply approach this as a Q & A type deal. Informal. There may also be some other members who can share some knowledge with us. Once we meet, we'll maybe find out. Topics range from PCBs, electronics, metal working or woodworking. Even something on design for cases or knobs would be more than a little useful. I need help on this as you'll see. :)

Mostly, this will be fun.

-Chris

Hey, Guys

It was a pleasure meeting you all! I enjoyed the get together very much. A sincere "thank you" to John and his lovely wife for their warm hospitality. John, your speakers are truly "owesome"!! Chris, thank you for the tips and info, much appreciated. Really looking forward to the next meet. Take care!

Lo_tse

diyFEST!!

John and your wife, very nice of you to do this fest. Thank you for doing up tubes(the kind you eat and listen to) and burgers, what a setup. The builds are very nice and I learned a lot. Thanks to those who brought they speakers, your fine work displays great craftsmanship.

Peter C

Attachments

• DSC09378 - Copy.jpg
    DSC09378 - Copy.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 66
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
That was a really enjoyable experience. We should repeat it sooner than the end of summer. Of course, never enough time! You and your wife were excellent hosts and couldn't do enough for everyone there. Everyone's needs were well looked after.

Your system was very good (all DIY folks!), as were the other speakers brought up for audition. Andrew's were very nicely finished - as were all the rest. Then there was my stuff, rough at best.

-Chris

Yes that was a great time, I was a bit apprehensive about meeting up with a bunch of people I didn't know. But since we all shared a common interest:) it all just gelled together really quick. Amazing variety of different sounding speakers, I believe I am firmly going to invest in some ribbon tweeters, boy they were silky smooth!!! And those B&G's just sounded so natural ....effortless:)
I really hope that this could be a bi- annual thing if other people are willing to host as well, I will be able to host but that may take a year and a bit for me to finish my listening space that would accomodate the "crowd".
Wow that brahm? track really impressed me as welll as SRV's guitar work! Those Japanese drums sounded like they were getting pounded right in the room albeit at a lower volume.
And finally thank you so much to John and his lovely wife for putting up with our shenanigans, you were the perfect hosts!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.