Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think June 11 at about 1pm (Sat.) appears okay for everyone. Anatech is also probably making an appearance.And will speak about something regarding our hobby. Depending on no. of attendees I will put on a barbecue (toob steaks and burgers). If lots of people end up attending we can work out a small donation for costs. It will be B.Y.O.B. and cigars. Please p.m. me to advise of your attendance and I will supply you with instructions how to get here. I am just off 400 hwy. at s/end of Barrie.

I think June 11 at about 1pm (Sat.) appears okay for everyone. Anatech is also probably making an appearance.And will speak about something regarding our hobby. Depending on no. of attendees I will put on a barbecue (toob steaks and burgers). If lots of people end up attending we can work out a small donation for costs. It will be B.Y.O.B. and cigars. Please p.m. me to advise of your attendance and I will supply you with instructions how to get here. I am just off 400 hwy. at s/end of Barrie.

I like the Barrie location but will not go anywhere near nor expose myself or any of my homemade gear to cigarette or cigar smoke. I did all of that which I required earlier in my life as so many of us did and have now moved well on. As for liquor, is this supposed to be a party or an audio enthusiast meeting?

There is no cigar/cigerette or whatever in my home. Some people do smoke and if so desired they can smoke outside. Some people (at previous audio type fests) have brought some beer. It is not a party, but the occasional beer never hurt anyone.

I held a Teslathon once amongst friends and fellow coil winders at my high voltage lab and as a joke brought in a six pac of Corona, considered an occasional beer for that event.

Great! Look like this "Inaugural Diyaudio Southern Ontario Region" meet is going to happen!! Jscelo, I will PM you later for the instructions to your place. Looking forward to meeting you DIYers!

Lo_tse

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well everyone, it sounds like this is coming off just fine. I'll do my best to be there, and if anyone wants to hitch a ride ... Shouldn't be a problem. My wife's dad is in the hospital now and it's serious. That's about the only thing that might sink my plans (then I may need a ride!). One car, and it's a small one.

If any of you are left out due to distance, another meet somewhere else might be an idea. I would do my best to make that as well.

I don't think it's critical to have something to show. No need for anyone to bow out 'cause they don't have a toy - yet. DIY isn't for everyone and a kit can provide just as much satisfaction for some people. Or, store bought works too. I think the best part of this will be meeting everyone. Hmm, and eating of course!

-Chris

Well everyone, it sounds like this is coming off just fine. I'll do my best to be there, and if anyone wants to hitch a ride ... Shouldn't be a problem. My wife's dad is in the hospital now and it's serious. That's about the only thing that might sink my plans (then I may need a ride!). One car, and it's a small one.

If any of you are left out due to distance, another meet somewhere else might be an idea. I would do my best to make that as well.

I don't think it's critical to have something to show. No need for anyone to bow out 'cause they don't have a toy - yet. DIY isn't for everyone and a kit can provide just as much satisfaction for some people. Or, store bought works too. I think the best part of this will be meeting everyone. Hmm, and eating of course!

-Chris

I cannot agree more! Even with no toys to show, we can just get together and chat about DIY audio stuffs (current projects, future projects, abandoned projects, whatever). It will be fun.

Lo_tse

NAB takeup reels wanted

I'm desperately trying to track down a few 10-1/2" NAB style metal reels for 1/4" wide recording tape for a nice two channel deck I recently inherited. They have the large 3'ish inch hole in the center. Anyone with some of these to spare and maybe even some tape on them and also planning to attend this meet shud contact me off list. rcavictim (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanx!

It is great to see that there is sufficient interest to have this meet at my place. To reiterate Anatech-if you have nothing to bring,do not worry about. The main thing will be to meet people and talk about our hobby.And listen to a bit of music. Do not forget to pm me for directions.I am looking forward to seeing you and it should be fun. This first meeting will hopefully be an incentive to do this more often-we have to start somewhere. Regards-John.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Darn, just lost my entire post. ****!

There are some Carver M-400's around, but they are very involved to take apart. They can't be run while apart either. Adcom GFA-1a's are around as well, and they sound good once serviced properly. I often see the traces destroyed on both of these due to poor servicing and a lack of care. Output transistor sockets also tend to get broken for the same reasons. If you want to see any apart, you'll either have to see them here or settle for pictures.

Hiya Rob,
I'm desperately trying to track down a few 10-1/2" NAB style metal reels for 1/4" wide recording tape
Me too! I need a pair since I may get tape in pancakes. Flanges are not included with those.

It'll be good to finally meet you in person.

Hi Ray,
I may need a ride with you if you can swing it. Maybe Gareth (bigun) can make it too, if he meets here.

I think this would be a great way to get people together. Later meetings should be easier then since the ice would have been broken. All you need to have is some interest in audio. Interest in DIY or even kits would make the hobby a richer (and less expensive - NOT!) hobby. No interest in solder fumes? 'sokay, come along.

Beer. Nice and Dark? Anyone tried Waterloo Dark? So far it's my #1 pick, although various English Bitters are really good too. One will generally do me for a day - I'm a cheap date.

Hey John,
Can you please give me a reminder on the Thursday or Friday before the meet please? I have trouble keeping track of time these days and I'm afraid of missing the event.

-Chris

Anatech, you are welcome to a ride. Bigun as well. I'm going to opt for my wife's civic so it should be a frugal jaunt up to Barrie.

TBH I need someone to talk to me about how I can understand circuits more so having you captive in the car might be quite beneficial. I can read circuit diagrams fairly well, I just don't have the math to work out the very basic hows and whys of it. So far I've been the kid who builds all his lego according to the instructions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.