The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In addition to above mentioned, we are expecting to have virtual Choky Zen Mode , with his not virtual and real Pumpkin preamp present. The Burning Amp will be happening on October 20 and 21, so we will have a lots of pumpkins by that time! (It's a Halloween time)
Choky just couldn't pull better timing for his world wide preamp promotion!

SY said:
I would suspect that, with all these geeks around, there will be some test equipment. My next task is to find a USB sound card that will work with my laptop so I can do the speaker measurements- generally, I use my desktop for that, but it's a bit impractical to haul down there.

Would firewire device be possible with your laptop? If not, I will have available an extra laptop that will work with my MAudio FireWire410. Lets speak on Wednesday during our second organizational meeting!!!
:) :) :)

Choky!!!

Shoot, If ZM is gonna be there,I GOTTA go... :smash:

Hope my (t)rusty old Chevy makes it...
I'm gonna need to rob a bank to afford the gas though! :bigeyes:
Hmm.. I'll see what I can do..I probably have a place to stay,not too terribly far away..(wait,how far away is Concord?)

Maybe we can drag Greggeek down too!? :confused:

(Edit: I'm in need of a Six-Flags visit anyways! Love the 'coasters!)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Choky!!!

DigitalJunkie said:
Shoot, If ZM is gonna be there,I GOTTA go... :smash:

Hope my (t)rusty old Chevy makes it...
I'm gonna need to rob a bank to afford the gas though! :bigeyes:
Hmm.. I'll see what I can do..I probably have a place to stay,not too terribly far away..(wait,how far away is Concord?)
Maybe we can drag Greggeek down too!? :confused:
(Edit: I'm in need of a Six-Flags visit anyways! Love the 'coasters!)

nope :bawling:
poor old bstrd Choky will be just virtually there ........
Pumpkin will be,in any case .......

hehe

mebbe we can arrange few chats ,even conference ones, if my dreky wifi will have one of better days .........
anyway- you'll just miss almost Paytonian xperience ......... Choky speakin' Engrish .........
I'm doing that even worse than scribin' :clown:
(even if that is hard to imagine )

Last edited by a moderator:
lousymusician said:

What will there be for sources and speakers?

Bill

I will bring my sources:

Sony CD XA20ES
Denon SACD/DVDA DVD2900
Cal Lab D/A converter with tube output modified with Black Gate caps...
Behringer DCX2496 – modified with Lundahl transformers and Xbosoz output (or just with Lundahls in the output) Behringer could serve ether as active crossover or just as DAC
M Audio Fire Wire 410 mobile sound card...
I will have my Apple Power Book and PC laptop for anyone in needs of mp3 sources (but why someone would need that?)
:devilr:

We are planning to have a whole set up for low cost iPod/chipamp stuff that should be attractive for younger crowd - so bring your kids.
We are hoping for analog source as well, but I do not have any info on that yet

Speakers wise I think we will be quite fine, although I already see a lots of speakers with active set up. In addition to Mr. Linkwitz's speakers that Don Naples will be kindly presenting, I will have mine (Lambda, PHL, Aurus Cantum) that will serve as base for RAAL ribbons (we will compare and exchange RAALs with Aurum Cantums)
There are also few horns coming, I will leave one set up for Variac to explain. A friend of mine will be bringing his beautiful TAD +JBL set up...

So far we are really good and if everything goes well there will be a lot to see and to listen. We are just at the beginning and we are still to see the full list of goodies. If anything I would like to see some more analog exhibitors and it seems like we could use some more full range and passive set up speakers.

We do not know yet what Mr. Pass will be presenting, but whatever it is, I am sure, it will be something that The Burning Amp 2007 will be remembered for.

I'm heading off to Burning Man in a few days, so I've had a good chuckle at this, I'd love to join everyone but I'll be long gone by then. I'll probably have just got over the whole thing by October...Given that I'm in SF itself for five days, this might be a good place to ask if there is anywhere in SF an overseas geek or two should make a pilgrimage to? Electronic surplus stores and the like? The older the electronics the better :devilr: Some others going to burning man, errr, amp, may also like to hear.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As far as sources go, It looks like we will have a Virtual Russ White, in the form of his DAC's . I'm hoping for the DAC DC coupled to his amp, and one with an adaptor card for USB so we can play uncompressed audio files on a laptop- I have a laptop to use also..

The talk about live internet feeds is true.
I will bring my modified Basszilla varient speakers:

http://store.hifiauthority.com/olsherkits.html

http://www.blackdahlia.com/html/tip_43.html

and some cheapo BIBB horns I am finishing up:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1279997#post1279997

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well Dave, if you come to the show, we should have those Twisted Pear DACs with USB to try. I sure will give it a go with my laptop...I think the whole setup is $200 with power supply . They are balanced output though...Ity seems that you can use an iPod to just store data, right? Could you run a USB DAC off of the iPod, playing lossless files, bypassing the iPod DAC?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
It seems that you can use an iPod to just store data, right?
Could you run a USB DAC off of the iPod, playing lossless files, bypassing the iPod DAC?

Yes, a lot of my clients consider an iPod to be a "portable USB back-up drive" so that they can claim as a business expense. As i understand it there are 2 classes of USB devices... lets call them master & slave (i can't remember the official terms). An iPod is a slave & a USB DAC needs to connect to a master. It would be nice if Apple added a digital out to the iPos and even better if it was IS2 and no SPDIF as on the computers.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.