Big Tripath power fun on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got the unit. It's as heavy as a normal rackmount amp. I don't have any issues with humming noise or anything inside the unit. It has plenty of power to control some 87db speakers I have that the smaller t-amps couldn't drive well. I'm not exactly a modder, but a copy cat tweaker, so I'm hoping a few people will give a few hints to mod this unit. Here are some docs that might be useful.

http://www.tripath.com/downloads/EB-TA0104A.pdf
http://www.tripath.com/downloads/TA0104A.pdf

theAnonymous1 said:
Can anyone who bought from this ebay seller verify some info for me......

lanaxes19@aol.com

Adam & Clark, Inc.
Structural Engineer
Department Of Construction Consulting

........Does any of the above look familiar and did the seller mention anything about being in Romania?:xeye:

Ummm... that doesn't look familiar at all. I bought mine from rhctrading of Chehalis, Washington, and all communications came from them.

jon_010101 said:

Ummm... that doesn't look familiar at all. I bought mine from rhctrading of Chehalis, Washington, and all communications came from them.

I received an email response from "Carisa RHC Trading <sales@rhctrading.com> " through ebay in regards to the best price they could do on 3 units. After that I received this very strange email that did not come through ebay.......

You expressed interest on this item. I'm the seller of this item on which you've recently bid on through the eBay system... ***Item title: AudioSource 2 CH Class T Digital Stereo Power Amplifier -- Item number: 120105684760*** ...And I've contacted you because I need to know if you are still interested to buy ... Email me as soon as possible with your answer because I must to know if is necesarly to find another buyer or if you can buy the item(i need to know your final price)...If you accept this offer the eBay policy automatically proclaims you winner. The transaction will go strictly according to eBay's RULES and POLICY and will be supervised by eBay Trust & Safety Department. If you are interested just reply to this message...I am waiting a fast response!...Thank you!

I wasn't thinking at the time and responded with the amount I would be willing to pay for 3 units. Then I got this response......

In order to make the transaction legit so we can be able to exchange feedback once completed i will have to get in touch with eBay Best Offer Department. I will need to confirm me the following details:
* your complete name
* your complete shipping address
I'm located overseas for the moment, in Romania because my little sister is getting married and i couldn't miss this once in a life time moment. She found her true love over here in Romania. I have to stay here for at least two weeks.
Must inform you that I have the item in the custody of the shipping company who helps me very time to ship the goods to the buyers addresses. A 100% serious company and i have a contract with them. Regarding the shipping insurance,who protects my items from any damages on the way to the buyer, i can inform you that they are already paid.Shipping is covered by me so don't have to be worried to pay extra charges for delivery.So the final price will be US $600.00!
Once you will provide me the requested details (full name, address) i will contact the eBay Best Offer Department and they will do the rest. They will send you the rest of the instructions and info regarding this process. You need to follow the instructions exactly so we can be both protected by their Purchase Protection and Refund program. Positive feedback is assured once everything is fixed up.
Thank You and along with the requested details email me with any other questions you may have!!

All the best,

Adam & Clark, Inc.
Structural Engineer

Sounds like a scam. I realize on ebay you can see who submitted a best offer on an item, I would just like to know how they got my email address.:xeye:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
We all best watch out...I just got an email from PAYPAL saying that I needed to login and confirm my change in email address (to my existing email address no less).

When I queried the link for www.PAYPAL.com/login on the email, the link was to a German website - obvious phishers. I reported it to PAYPAL. Not very sophisticated, but opened my eyes a bit...

Anyway, it is pretty easy to get someone's email - even off this site.

Not sure there is anything nefarious going on. The company sells a huge amount of Phoenix Gold stuff, and since Audiosource is owned by them, they probably offered up the amps once they could legally sell them in the US. The Trading Company may be the hobby of a Romanian engineer who lives in Seattle. Its a small, small world we now live in.

Hes got a big eBay business and probably wants his sales to go through it and get the feedback and discounts for his volumn. My amp was shipped within a 48 hours of the purchase and I was emailed a FedEx tracking number and a confirmation of shipping. I also received an offer for an extended warranty too. Some of the best mailorder service Ive ever received.

I think if you corrospond through the eBay email service, you shouldnt worry.

On another note, I finally have a night with the house to myself! I can finally give the thing a thorough listening. My small dedicated room doesnt do the Maggies justice, so when the family is gone, I can have my way with the livingroom. (the agreement was I get a dedicated listening room if the ugly big audio stuff, wire and cables stay out of the livingroom)

OzMikeH,
It appears to only have a single pair of primary wires. Sorry about that.

amt

OK, this is getting really strange.

This last email states I can only pay through Western Union and none of the ebay policy links at the bottom work. I have not received any correspondence directly though ebay about any of this.

Personal info removed. PDF is too big for upload here.....

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=08969399699716042222

EDIT: Haha, boy this fellow is eager. I told him the invoice that he sent stated a quantity of 1 for the price of $600 and that I was interested in 3 units.

This was his response......

There is no problem it was my mistake... Please arrange the payment and i will shipp 3 items!
Use this link to locate the nearest Western Union office:
http://locator.westernunion.com/AgentLocator/channelHtml/AgentLoc.do?method=search

All the best,

Adam & Clark, Inc.
Structural Engineer

No thanks.:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

theAnonymous1 said:
OK, this is getting really strange.

This last email states I can only pay through Western Union and none of the ebay policy links at the bottom work. I have not received any correspondence directly though ebay about any of this.

...pdf...

No thanks.:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

You should send that to RHC -- I bet they'd like to know that someone's trying to scam their customers.

theAnonymous1 said:
Can anyone who bought from this ebay seller verify some info for me......

lanaxes19@aol.com

Adam & Clark, Inc.
Structural Engineer

........Does any of the above look familiar and did the seller mention anything about being in Romania?:xeye:

I got 3 of those emails from that sender as well. It's gotta be a scam. I would be suspicious of anything that didn't come from rhctrading or thru ebay.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one. I just wish I didn't have to pay $30 shipping. It's 80 miles away!!!

Hope this helps--

Greg

I've been an ebay member for about 6 years now and this is the first time I have ever had someone try to scam me. RHCTrading told me to forward the email so spoof@ebay.com, so thats what I did.

Anyway, I wish I would have submitted my offer earlier when amt got his for $225. They quoted me $240 each for 3 units. I told them to send me the invoice. My girlfriend is going to kill me.:dead:

I received the invoice earlier and was about to pay until I read an old post at audioasylum about this amp...

BOTH my AMP7's died, and I have no idea why!? One about 3 months after the other. They lasted about a year before either died though!?

The power still comes on, but no signal comes out. Not even any noise.

That sounds identical to how Petey said his amp is acting. I really want to buy these, but I don't want to spend close to $800 on amps that are going to die on me.

I would like to know what exactly goes wrong with them. Does the Tripath chip go kaput, or is it something else?

:cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.