Sonic Impact for MI amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I couldn't find anything about this in my searching but please feel free to point me to any threads that I missed.

I have recently picked up a Yamaha stereo keyboard for which I need amplification. The built in speakers are nice for practice but... I have some MI drivers that I can use but I need to get the amplification as reasonably as possible. This setup will be for small venues like your average nursing home activity room.

I will be using a 10" dual cone possibly augmented with piezo horn for the main speaker and a 15" driver in a seperate cabinet for sub 80Hz. My first idea was smething like a carvin or pyramid PA with a lowpass filter feeding one channel for the 15" driver. However I began to wonder if I might not be able to save some money by using something like the 30W SonicImpact to drive the upper section and a plate amp (with built in Low Pass) for the sub.

Is this a reasonable idea or is there trouble down that road?

mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't think the Sonic will have enough power to keep you happy. FIY, it isn't 30WPC, it's more like 6.

The amps don't cost much, so it won't hurt to try, especially if you are using a powered sub.

MI speakers are typically very efficient and don't need gobs of power - think how loud a Fender Twin or Marshall stack gets on tube power - so the SI might drive what you have.

So it wouldn't hurt to try it on your 10s. Just don't try it at a gig for the first time, know what I mean? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.