Super-T. Where's all the bass gone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In another thread I recently mentioned how impressed I was with my Super-T amp. Well perhaps I shouldn't have tempted fate as it appears that my Super-T no longer seems capable of producing any bass :bawling: .

I've had a feeling it's been on the way out for a month or two but it wasn't something I could put my finger on as I live this amp on a daily basis. I gues this 'problem' has kinda crept up on me. To compensate for the lack of bass it's also developed rather wirey shrill sound.

It's not my ears as I've borrowed my mate's Yamaha DSP A1000 and whilst this amp is not renowned for prodigious bass, it does show me what I've been missing.

I can't say I'm impressed as I've had the Super-T from new for just over a year.

Before I bin it :smash: anyone got anysuggestions as to what's wrong?

Sound is the same from both channels. I've shaken/thumped the poor old amp but no joy. I had a quick look inside but no obvious faults.

My diy skills are not up to replacing surface mount components but I figure replacing the capacitors shouldn't be too hard. Could someone perhaps post a picture of the board showing which caps I should consider replacing and with what, or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sorry, my reply yesterday got lost in the forum glitch.

There are 3 power electrlytic caps on the board (and 2 input).

What you want to replace is the big cap near the power switch and the medium size caps near the chip. You can use the same values or larger, if they will fit. 16V minimum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.