Class D Design Issues

Did you release any amplifiers with an air core inductor? How do you isolate & contain the magnetic fields?

High switching frequencies can make air core inductors a more sensible solution, but the high frequencies can cause other issues.

At high frequencies timing jitter can be an issue & 1/f noise in the clock buffers can make it worse.

Did you review this paper?
c1.JPG
C2.JPG

I designed a board for a powered speaker and it has a TPA3116 amplifier as per the schematic below. However, I get very little power out of it. The power draw from the PSU is about 1.4W.
I tested it using the output from a phone, so I'm thinking maybe the signal level is too low. Does it need a preamplifier to drive it?

Attachments

• 3-way_LR+TPA3116-Amplifier.pdf
    40.8 KB · Views: 232
Building a class d amp is not easy, feedback needs special attention and also pcb design and dead times.

Best is use a driver ic for that.

I have play some, with it, can be good designed with a lineair model in spice. (simulates high switching frequencies).

But now busy with helping someone who is sick and will die. I supporting.

Attachments

• single-do-work.jpg
    single-do-work.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 253
  • ScreenHunter 1588.jpg
    ScreenHunter 1588.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 263
  • ScreenHunter 1589.jpg
    ScreenHunter 1589.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 254
Best is use a driver ic for that.
Which of the current IC would you recommend to get the highest current out? I do not know an IC which has a high switching capability to drive more than 100W (real Watts) without either quality or heat issues.

Going back to another posting with the swedish paper, I wonder why the need GaN-Transistors for this? And I wonder what the purpose of the paper actually is, since these amplification stats have been introduced very much earlier already for higher currents. Maybe it is because of audio (?)

However I was involved in a project in 2008 when I performed high precision synchronisation of power amplifiers for particle beam accellerators were used GaAs-Transistors to perform switching in the range of 4GHz and higher. Actually on-times had been around up to some 0.5 to 2 us.

The best sounding class D inductor currently being made.

Core mateiral

• Manganese zinc ferrite core(MnZn) with wide temperature, high frequency, and low loss.
  • The EP shape magnetic core with excellent magnetic shielded ability to reduce electromagnetic interference.
Coil material

• coil is wound with oxygen-free copper enameled flat wire, with excellent conductivity and high-speed signal transmission ability, which will not cause distortion at the output of the amplifier.
Above core material +coil material +compact design is suitable for various small volume and high-efficiency designs.

I have never ventured into Class D or H power amps. still with A & A/B. Wondering how they compare in audio systems. A few years ago I bought a Panasonic 5.1 surround system,(now consigned to the loft!). The output stages claimed to be 100W/ channel, from the appearance they could have only been Class D. The supplied connecting wire to the speakers was bell wire, even to the sub woofer, an 8 inch pressed steel driver, I was not impressed with the performance of the system. A great disappointment, as I have a great respect for Panasonic / Technics products. Would appreciate others' experiences .

I have never ventured into Class D or H power amps. still with A & A/B. Wondering how they compare in audio systems. A few years ago I bought a Panasonic 5.1 surround system,(now consigned to the loft!). The output stages claimed to be 100W/ channel, from the appearance they could have only been Class D. The supplied connecting wire to the speakers was bell wire, even to the sub woofer, an 8 inch pressed steel driver, I was not impressed with the performance of the system. A great disappointment, as I have a great respect for Panasonic / Technics products. Would appreciate others' experiences .
I had the same bias as you before, until I heard the well designed TPA3255 class D amp, it actually sounded better than all the class ab amps I've heard. I can listen to it all day, enjoy comfortable sound without fatigue

I have succesfully figt late lyme. antibiotics did work.

So again I am started with the electronics. Have no ready build a pcb cnc router.

I go do class d wh has current feedback, and below 1Khz it has voltage feedback, reason is current feedback do
not well in low frequencys. I use multilevel system.

Making goodFeedback is quite a long pad, when have extreme low distortion, amp is unstable and square test is bad, when let it have higher
distortion it does a lot better, so need to make some step between. still when use capacitor current feedback I have a very nice triangle output
who do have dynamic adjustment in feedback path, so things did go a lot better.

Pics are feedback before and after low pass with triangle generator in trhee level flying cap. See the double tone test is very clean, no bad distortions.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 2054.jpg
    ScreenHunter 2054.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 129
  • ScreenHunter 2084.jpg
    ScreenHunter 2084.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 141
  • ScreenHunter 1990.jpg
    ScreenHunter 1990.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 1 user