Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D Design Issues
Class D Design Issues
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2017, 01:27 PM   #101
Ouroboros is offline Ouroboros  England
diyAudio Member

Default Output filter perhaps?

I would guess the Behringer uses pre-filter NFB, so the amplitude and phase characteristics of the output low-pass filter directly affect the measured response. The switching frequency isn't likely to be the culprit, except that a higher switching frequency would allow the use of a higher cut-off frequency for the output filter, minimising the effect.
Class-D amps with post filter NFB, such as those from Hypex, greatly reduce the effect, although they can suffer adverse effects if the load is extremely reactive.
Old 14th May 2017, 01:43 PM   #102
JonasKarud is offline JonasKarud  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
I would guess the Behringer uses pre-filter NFB, so the amplitude and phase characteristics of the output low-pass filter directly affect the measured response. The switching frequency isn't likely to be the culprit, except that a higher switching frequency would allow the use of a higher cut-off frequency for the output filter, minimising the effect.
Class-D amps with post filter NFB, such as those from Hypex, greatly reduce the effect, although they can suffer adverse effects if the load is extremely reactive.
Yes, it's a pre-filter NFB design using the IRS20957s driver and the switching frequency is one MHz, checked it with oscilloscope..

What happens if I change the output inductor from 21 uH to, let's say 10 uH?
Old 14th May 2017, 01:46 PM   #103
Dimonis is offline Dimonis  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasKarud View Post
the switching frequency is one MHz
Joking Class D Design Issues Class D Design Issues ?
It must be 320-350kHz.Not more.....
Old 14th May 2017, 01:54 PM   #104
Ouroboros is offline Ouroboros  England
diyAudio Member

1MHz is a very high switching frequency for a class-D amplifier, normally it would be between 300kHz and 400kHz.

You cannot simply change the L or the C in the output filter on its own. The filter needs to be (roughly) matched to the load.
It might be useful for you to download the free version of TINA-spice from the Texas Instruments website and perform a few frequency response tests using a simple sinewave source. You could start with L=22uH, C= 1uF and R_load = 6 Ohms.

TINA is very easy to use and gives you a good insight into how component changes affect things.
Old 14th May 2017, 04:19 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I misread the oscilloscopes 1 uS/div scale, 400 KHz is a more correct value!

Still high, apparently. Can be the uncalibrated old scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0958.jpg (784.6 KB, 341 views)
Old 15th May 2017, 06:50 AM   #106
basreflex is offline basreflex  Spain
diyAudio Member

the high noise content in the 10-20khz range could be the smeared difference freq of the two L/R modulators interfering . the idling freqs of the 2 channels should be either synced or at least 30khz apart.
Old 15th May 2017, 08:44 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

On the output board there's a ferro core with 4 separate windings. See picture and diagram. In my opinion, this will connect left and right channels with each other inductively. I'm familiar with Tina and P-spice, but I think this one will be difficult to analyze/simulate, involving two channels.

I shortened out the inductor with 4 jumpers(see picture), and measured again.

The noise is the exactly the same, but phase went from -180 deg to +180 in the same freq region. The sound now is improved, with more open/airy treble.(but not as good as my beloved Nad M3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0965.jpg (666.9 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg Output.JPG (40.7 KB, 301 views)
Old 15th May 2017, 09:02 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

After some more listening, I can tell the sound is very much better!
Old 15th May 2017, 09:28 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Time for some serious A/B listening, with or without the inductor shorted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0967.jpg (651.5 KB, 308 views)
Old 15th May 2017, 09:34 AM   #110
basreflex is offline basreflex  Spain
diyAudio Member

can you measure the Ch1 and Ch2 idle freqs accurately ?

Class D Design IssuesHide this!Advertise here!