SMPS for AMP32-PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey,

i have an AMP32-PS on the way and i was thinking to look for a power supply while i wait for it as shipping to israel could take around two weeks. i read that people like SMPS for class-D amps and i guess if it's good for most people it will do just fine powering the AMP32-PS which i'm building for a friend to power the speakers that connect to his PC.

I admit not knowing too much about SMPS past the basic operating functions, so is there anything special I should look for other than the right ratings? any makers or specific models that are better for some reason? and do i have to use any other regulation or filtering or hooking them up to the amp is good enough?

1. If you are happy to dabble inside his PC - you could its 12V supply.

2. If you want something separate and external - you can use something like a laptop supply. You can get a universal one that lets you select the voltage output and could be handy for other uses too. Some laptop supplies like Toshiba and Sony are set at 15V and 19V respectively. You could then add extra regulation to bring this down to the required level.

3. You could get an uncased/open SMPS like the one NUUK sells - and build it into the case with the amp.

theAnonymous1 said:

Hey Anonymous1

None of these SMPS represent the value of the one that you hate me informing other DIYers about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you are not getting commission on any of these "expensive" ones.....:)

Hey Anonymous1

None of these SMPS represent the value of the one that you hate me informing other DIYers about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you are not getting commission on any of these "expensive" ones.....:)

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

If we were both working off commission it would just mean I'm making more.:clown:

As e-Shakespeare would say..... "To sayeth once is to inform, to sayeth twice is to spam".

Not to mention I have about 8 of the supplies from the last link. They work very well and are already in a nice plastic case with an IEC socket. Pay more get more.;)

I actually have a couple that are just like those suggested by Anonymous1....but a bit more powerfull and with selectable output voltages (3V to 15V).

I have to agree to agree that they are very handy and neat - especially if your amp is already in a case. However - if you still have to build the amp and get a nice case for it - you might as well put an uncased SMPS in there too. That way you don't waste money on the "nice plastic case with an IEC socket". The additional $20 or so could then be spent on getting a nicer case for the amp - which is the part that will be seen - and not hidden away somewhere.

Also - having the supply and regulation closer to the amp (ie. in the same case) would have to be better than it travelling through a meter or two of unshielded cable before it reaches the protection of the metal case.

Pay less - get more.......that's my philosophy...and the reason for DIY.

The additional $20 or so could then be spent on getting a nicer case for the amp

I agree, but then again I only paid $8 each for them; not $20.

I have a pile of open frame supplies and I don't really care for them. They are twice the size and can't be adjusted up to 14v without modifications to the board. Most of them max out at around 12.8v.

I'm not bashing the supplies you posted. I agree they are a good deal for the money, I just personally like these "line lumps".

And yes I agree with "pay less get more(quality)"; but not "pay less get more(quantity, of less quality)".

theAnonymous1 said:
I'm not bashing the supplies you posted. I agree they are a good deal for the money, I just personally like these "line lumps".

Yeah - I like the line lumps too. Great when you want to keep the amp case really small.

theAnonymous1 said:
And yes I agree with "pay less get more(quality)"; but not "pay less get more(quantity, of less quality)".

That's "assuming" that the ones I posted are 'lower quality".

What makes you say that?
Here is the datasheet.......

Attachments

• nan40-7663.pdf
    67.8 KB · Views: 70
Well - It looks like we have answered all possible questions and presented all of the options for choosing a SMPS.

But we need to get back to spacecakes question.....
You can add aditional filtering if you like. Most people add a large stifner/tank cap close to the amp.
Is this what you were referring to?

It seems that AMP32-PS has already such a cap. That's what "PS" stands for in the name of the amp.
I've seen some printer SMPS modules that could be purchased separately (without enclosure). I'm not sure about their quality but the price was about 5$. Mayby you could check some printer power supply modules?
There are also some very cheap Chineese SMPS modules described some time ago in Elektor Electronics but I don't know where to buy them and what is the quality.

Marek

HI

my amp32 is powered by my pc power supply ,the sound is wonderfull!!!

Smps is the way to go especially for class-d

tip: with big 12000mf you must ad a 220ohm -in serie(rail line) for
softstart ,for turn on the amp add bypass

I have leave the diode bridge in place, because they are a low loss type

space-cake said:
yes FIN, thanks.
i was wondering if any additional filtering is needed at all since it seems to me that SMPS is better than a standard transformer based power dupply is pretty much all fields. how come they are not used that often in audio?

I wouldn't like to use one in a CD player or high quality DAC.

nicoch46 said:

Smps is the way to go especially for class-d

Seems to be what most people are reporting....but some - like Motherone - report good results with a linear supply. I'm still evaluating both with a SI T-Amp and Lepai T222 Amp.

The final choice probably depends on a lot of things like personal taste, space, efficiency requirements and ancilliary equipment. I think that a lot of people are going for SMPS in this application - not because they are necessarily better - but because they are not significantly worse.

Much of the appeal of these little T-Amps is the size and cost. SMPS seems to fit nicely with this concept. As theAnonymous1 and I pointed out above (by argueing over who could find the best value/cheapest SMPS) it is easy to find something that is small, neat, already regulated and ready to go. They are also efficient - meaning that you can power your T-amp from a 3A or 5A SMPS that would probably equate to a (from a price and size pint of view) to a 1A or 2A linear supply. The extra power on demand probably outwieghs any negative aspects of using a SMPS in this situation. So - where you have a switching amplifier anyway - you might as well have a switching supply that gives you more power for you dollar and available space.

That's what I thnk anyway - but I could be wrong......

Well - as I understand it - and I've only picked this up by reading comments from those I consider to be the Gurus of this stuff - the thinking is as follows:

Inside a CD player, "stuff" is happening at all sorts of frequencies. You've got the mechanism and it's servos opperating at lower frequencies, the digital stuff and clock opperating in the mHz range, the analogue output stage operating in the audio range and the critical D/A process happening in all of the ranges.

In a SMPS - the switching has to occur at some predefined frequency - which will produce noise at that frequency. If you were to design your own SMPS - you could determine the frequency you would like that to occur at......but which frequency would you choose. All of them are critical in a CD player or DAC.

So - buying a garden variety SMPS off the shelf is even worse - because you have no control over its opperation and no idea what it's influence will be on the performance of the CD player or DAC. This can only lead to an increase in jitter in one particular area of the CD player or DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.