Class D Amp Photo Gallery

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm really enjoying the flexibility of this little thing - it's a stereo guitar practice amp, a boombox, a radio, a media player, and bluetooth party speaker all in one.

Do you have any other guitar amps to compare to? In particular, tube guitar amps?

My guitar amps are all tube-based. I love 'em, but recognize the advantages of solid state amplification. I'm afraid to make the leap!

5* as a guitar player that i am too i love it ;)

Thank you!

matt_garman said:
Do you have any other guitar amps to compare to? In particular, tube guitar amps?

My guitar amps are all tube-based. I love 'em, but recognize the advantages of solid state amplification. I'm afraid to make the leap!

Yes, I've used both tube and solid state amps. One of my first tube amps was a silver face Fender Princeton Reverb, and one of my more recent solid state amps is a Vox Pathfinder, but I've had lots of others over the years too (Crates, '70s Peaveys, an Ampeg, other solid state Fenders, etc.)

This little class-d amp I put together is different than either. It's really more like a stereo monitor, in that it doesn't really color the sound on it's own and doesn't have a gain/overdrive circuit* - without effects it produces the same clean tone from minimum to max volume. I use my digitech multi-effects pedal and the guitar controls to give it whatever flavor I need at a given moment. It is probably closest in sound to the Vox on clean channel, sparkly, but does not have all the warmth you'd expect of an analog tube amp.

What is most unique about it is that I now have the ability to run stereo sound at a very minimal cost compared with off-the-shelf stereo guitar amps. I've only got about $75 into it, and built it mainly just as an exercise to see what I could do with the low-cost component boards that are ubiquitous now.

*I can get some breakup/distortion by running the guitar straight into the amp, omitting the digitech as a preamp, due to the mismatch in impedance between the inputs in the BT module I run the phono inputs through and that of the instrument.

ICEPower 50ASX2 + Arylic Up2Stream

Hi there,

my first post on the forum with my first creature after some 20+ years away from diy. I got an urge to do something and thought why not start with something modular which felt like a low hanging fruit for a humble come-back. Little did I know... Anyhow, here it goes - a modular streamer amp integrating 5 modules:

* ICEPower 50ASX2;
* Arylic Up2Stream Pro V3 + Arylic DAC ES9023 (those handle the 3 digital inputs - WiFi, BlueTooth, USB); I chose Arylic for this role because of a their very decent App allowing to operate the amp from a smartphone;
* ICEXtend (its feature set was spot on for my application);
* Buffer module with gain x3, stepped attenuator, input selector relay (this module handles the input from the Arylic DAC and the analog input (RCA)). Although Arylic Up2Stream board can handle the analog input signal as well, I decided to feed the RCA inputs directly to the buffer bypassing the Arylic board to preserve signal quality;
* Control module which ties the above modules together. Although a simple one with just four logical gate/driver ICs but I am happy about the outcome since everything really works as one system.
I also added a simple block diagram.

I realised way too late in the process that I might have squeezed too much into the enclosure (20x20x6.5cm mini-PC) risking some performance impairments. Yet, the beginner's luck was on my side and no performance issues have come up to my great relief. Class D can obviously be more forgiving. Sure, I did spend quite a while studying the theory, application manuals, positioning of the modules and wiring for least interference etc. etc. as well as the immense number of posts of you guys here on the forum for which I am really grateful!

And now on to the next project!

Attachments

• IMG_01.JPEG
    IMG_01.JPEG
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • IMg_10.png
    IMg_10.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_09.JPEG
    IMG_09.JPEG
    70.5 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_08.jpg
    IMG_08.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_07.jpg
    IMG_07.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_06.jpg
    IMG_06.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMG_05.jpg
    IMG_05.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • IMG_04.JPEG
    IMG_04.JPEG
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMG_03.JPEG
    IMG_03.JPEG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,249
Hi amigos,

Just finished my new Shui Yuan TPA3255 Amplifier. Sounds very very well )
Some pictures so you can compare with my updated Aiyima A04

As per reminder, what I did :

Stock version

A small 110*70*35MM TPA3255 module with :

SAGAMI 7W14A inductors

Full Nichicon caps, as below :

Nichicon 2200UF/63V VZ serie power caps

Nichicon FW serie Buffer caps (Audio Grade)

DIP8 OP amps socket

My minor Updates :

For TPA3255 module : Remove 2X Nichicon VZ serie 2200UF/63V > Install 2X Nichicon 4700UF KW serie (low ESR Audio grade)

For LLC SMPS PSU : Remove Output Caps 2X Nichicon PM serie 50V/1800UF > Install 2X Nichicon 2200UF KW serie

OP amps : Remove NES5532 Op amps > Install OPA1656

Full Setup:

Updated TPA3255 Module with full Nichicon Audio Grade caps (110*70*35MM)

SMPS LLC 600W 48V PSU small factor Nichicon caps (113mm * 67mm * 56mm)

Aiyima A50 AC DC Filter (anti RMI/RFI) board

Full Copper twisted wires

Full Aluminium black case BRZHIFI (131*249*55mm.)

Premium Banana plugs

Pictures :

Hi amigos,

My Wodom IRS2092 @ 250W. (Nichicon caps)
SMPS 48V PSU Double rail.
Aluminium Case

Hola Amigo :) After hours of reading and researching i decided to build an amplifier Class D with the 2 X 125WATT CLASS D AUDIO AMPLIFIER BOARD - IRS2092 [110] you used. Im a diyer but i've never mounted and amplifier before and i getting fu***** mad about the supply.
Can you direct me to a power supply to feed this amp.
I came to this one in aliexpress but i dont know the watts i need 500, 600, 1000???
Sorry for the silly question but there is too much information in the forum and cant find in the search.
thanks in advance.

Hi amigos,

Just finished my new Shui Yuan TPA3255 Amplifier. Sounds very very well )
Some pictures so you can compare with my updated Aiyima A04

As per reminder, what I did :

Stock version

A small 110*70*35MM TPA3255 module with :

SAGAMI 7W14A inductors

Full Nichicon caps, as below :

Nichicon 2200UF/63V VZ serie power caps

Nichicon FW serie Buffer caps (Audio Grade)

DIP8 OP amps socket

My minor Updates :

For TPA3255 module : Remove 2X Nichicon VZ serie 2200UF/63V > Install 2X Nichicon 4700UF KW serie (low ESR Audio grade)

For LLC SMPS PSU : Remove Output Caps 2X Nichicon PM serie 50V/1800UF > Install 2X Nichicon 2200UF KW serie

OP amps : Remove NES5532 Op amps > Install OPA1656

Full Setup:

Updated TPA3255 Module with full Nichicon Audio Grade caps (110*70*35MM)

SMPS LLC 600W 48V PSU small factor Nichicon caps (113mm * 67mm * 56mm)

Aiyima A50 AC DC Filter (anti RMI/RFI) board

Full Copper twisted wires

Full Aluminium black case BRZHIFI (131*249*55mm.)

Premium Banana plugs

Pictures :
What all did you do to the a04? id it improve it?