Class D Amp Photo Gallery

Thanks for the nice comments :)
skrstic, I'm not sure which sounds better... :)

It's all very subjective, I have not done any measurements.

TDA7498 seems to have a bit more "punch", somewhat "fuller" sound - which is no wonder, as it's twice as powerful, and that power shows.
The downside is that it requires a more expensive power supply - although I'm driving it using a "laptop brick" (big one, rated at 20V/6.5A)...

I think I might try finding a 24v/5A power source, and see what happens. I wouldn't go above 24V on that one, since it has caps rated at 35V, so....

But, even at 20V, it shows more power than TPA3116. As for "which is better", I don't usually make any claims in that regard, as it's all rather subjective and depends on the experience and preferences :)

To my untrained ear, the TDA7498 seems a tiny bit better as regards the "fullness" of sound and a bit more punch in the lower frequencies.
But, take that with a grain of salt - I'm in no way an expert, nor do I claim to be...
Anyway, at the current prices, you can buy one of each, and try for yourself - each of those can be had for about $15 with free shipping....

Denis

den_hr, that's very elegant!

I've finally finished my multichannel amplifier based on Hypex UcD modules. This ones is fitted with 9x UcD400HG with HxR regulators, fed from three SMPS1200 supplies.

Several people asked me about this, so this may soon evolve into something more than just DIY :)

i-Jh6zvjF-L.jpg

i-9TsWHnv-L.jpg

i-LwJcNkJ-L.jpg

i-dhZjZ8w-L.jpg

i-FB3R7Ht-L.jpg

Thanks den. Yes, at 4ohm, it's 3.6kW of musical power in a 3U tall chassis.

I did spend a lot of time modelling the case in 3D trying to get it all to fit inside, respect minimum spacing for electrical safety, etc. The entire thing is machined to spec and there are one or two minor problems which I'll fix if I need to do another one.

My only concern with it is the heat. The UcD modules are quite efficient, but still get a little warm with two stacked onto each heatsink. I've taken some temperature readings with the cover on after using it for an hour, and the heatsinks are at around 65 degrees, which is OK (max is 90), but would probably go higher if in an enclosed cabinet... I've wanted to avoid having to use additional fans for cooling (which wouldn't help if in an enclosed cabinet anyway). I might have to add a thermistor to cut power to protect against overheating...

Maybe for large multichannel usage, I might restrict to the smaller UcD180 modules. The heatsinks have holes drilled ready for UcD180 mount points too so it's easy to swap.

My next project is integrating with new NCore500 modules which are something else! But I need to do a full PCB design for that. They are even more powerful and efficient though and heat wouldn't be a problem.

I love Class D for this very reason :D

Thanks for the nice comments :)
skrstic, I'm not sure which sounds better... :)

It's all very subjective, I have not done any measurements.

TDA7498 seems to have a bit more "punch", somewhat "fuller" sound - which is no wonder, as it's twice as powerful, and that power shows.
The downside is that it requires a more expensive power supply - although I'm driving it using a "laptop brick" (big one, rated at 20V/6.5A)...

I think I might try finding a 24v/5A power source, and see what happens. I wouldn't go above 24V on that one, since it has caps rated at 35V, so....

But, even at 20V, it shows more power than TPA3116. As for "which is better", I don't usually make any claims in that regard, as it's all rather subjective and depends on the experience and preferences :)

To my untrained ear, the TDA7498 seems a tiny bit better as regards the "fullness" of sound and a bit more punch in the lower frequencies.
But, take that with a grain of salt - I'm in no way an expert, nor do I claim to be...
Anyway, at the current prices, you can buy one of each, and try for yourself - each of those can be had for about $15 with free shipping....

Denis

Thank you. I plan to buy TDA7498 after the vacation.

diagramas de amplificadores clase d

There are plenty of cool pictures in the photo gallery threads posted in the other forums, so it only seems right that there be such a place to post your amp photos in the class d forum as well.

It doesn't matter whether you've got a prototype working on the breadboard, an amp jerry rigged on the table, or an electronic masterpiece in a case; post your stuff here for everyone to check out. It's a good way to share ideas and may even give someone a little bit of inspiration to tackle that project they've been wanting to do :)

Pics of my 8-way DSP+amplification based on one miniShark, one Digi FP and two miniAmps. It contains also 4 stereo 11-steps autoformers to better control my 3-way stereo horn system (and some other active subwoofers/shakers). What a shame that miniDSP is no longer making those true digital amplifiers; till now those miniAmps seems like the most silent and dynamic amplifiers for domestic horn use.

Attachments

• miniShark_inside.jpg
    miniShark_inside.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 820
  • miniShark_outside.jpg
    miniShark_outside.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 668
Last edited: