Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D Amp Photo Gallery
Class D Amp Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2011, 09:24 PM   #421
lost eden is offline lost eden  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Originally bought this TDA8920BTH for a ghettoblaster, thinking I could run it off +24V DC from 2x SLA - wrong! Decided to put it in a box with a cheap RS toroid & Chinese filter board rather than let it go to waste. The datasheet claims 215W 'typical' into 6R bridge at 10% THD, so >200W into 4R bridge seems not entirely impossible. I have no use for such an amp, but it was fun to build & I'm sure I'll be asked to provide a small soundsystem for a house party at some point in the future! Maybe even a sub amp if I ever decide to build a sub.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Old 23rd August 2011, 09:01 PM   #422
fooeywuffle is offline fooeywuffle  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Really Old Class D Amp

I built this thing around 20 years ago. It still works. I just thought maybe somebody would be interested in an Old School design. FETs at the time I couldn't get to work right, so all is bipolar transistors and J-Fet Op Amps. Power supply does have 2 of those TO-3 BUZ things driven by a transformer. It is for Bass at cutoff of 500 Cy, but is actually good to 3 Kc. 60 watts a channel. I use it to drive a pair of Eminence 18 inch woofers in my 57 Chevy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLSD.jpg (134.2 KB, 906 views)
File Type: jpg CLSD1.jpg (73.6 KB, 833 views)
File Type: jpg CLSD2.jpg (72.6 KB, 824 views)
File Type: jpg 57.jpg (35.1 KB, 663 views)
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:55 PM   #423
nwboater is offline nwboater  Canada
diyAudio Member

fooeywuffle - love your 57 Chev. My parents bought an identical one new when I was in high school. Yours looks quite cherry!

Sorry for going off topic. Oh yeah, your amps are cool too!

Rod
Old 24th August 2011, 12:12 AM   #424
ttan98 is online now ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Class D runs on 24V Battery

Hi,
This is my version of Class D based on Sure Electronics 50 watter, runs on TP2050 chipset.

It runs on 4*12V batteries connected 2 in series and parallel to give me 24Vdc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8233878V1.jpg (153.9 KB, 1072 views)
Old 24th August 2011, 04:26 PM   #425
fooeywuffle is offline fooeywuffle  United States
diyAudio Member

My grandmother bought the 57 Chevy for me in 1967. I refurbished the whole thing myself except for the seats. painted it in my back yard. Had to add AC when I moved here to Palm Springs CA. That was a job.
Old 4th September 2011, 10:40 PM   #426
Chris Adams is offline Chris Adams  United States
diyAudio Member

Default hifimediy T3 mono blocks

Just finished these and they sound wonderful. Connexelectronic SMPS500Rs for power supply.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th September 2011, 06:19 PM   #427
zerokelvin99 is offline zerokelvin99  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Excuse my ignorance Chris, but is the massive capacitance between the PSU and amplifier board really needed? I was under the belief that SMPS onboard supplies were normally sufficient at supplying large amounts of power when required?

Cheers,
Old 5th September 2011, 06:36 PM   #428
Chris Adams is offline Chris Adams  United States
diyAudio Member

They look massive, but only in size. I removed the 10000uF electrolytic caps and replaced with 35uF film and oil ASC caps. I experimented with different caps on a Hifimediy T2 and liked the sound with the film caps. And you are correct, caps not needed with the SMPS but I wanted to keep the relay in place so I used this option.
Old 5th September 2011, 08:10 PM   #429
zerokelvin99 is offline zerokelvin99  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply, I see now :-)
Old 6th September 2011, 10:43 AM   #430
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

I found that increasing the amount of capacitance on the D class that I built helped the performance significantly, in fact the manufacture suggested it.

Class D Amp Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!