Class D Amp Photo Gallery

I also had problems with the SURE IRS2092 amp, if not fored air cooled with a fan, it quickly heats up to 90+ deg C, and after about 30 minutes it starts making clicking noises likethere was a shutoff starting to oscillate on/off, also the stock inductors got smoking hot and stunk out my livingroom.

I contacted SURE about this, they were unable to reproduce the issues and claimed to only have one single other report of similar issues, and promised to send me another amp free of charge, but they never did.

This SURE amp will most likely become a parts donor for other projects as it feels wrong to have to fan cool a class D amp whose heatsink is more than big enough for stated power rating, if i have to do that i could just as well use a class AB amp.
My Sure based IRS2092 amp would work for about an hour. Then the right channel would cut out, the volume would lower and a loud hum would commence. I had read on another 2092 thread that Sure doesn't seem to adjust these at the factory, so that's probably why mine would heat up mercilessly too. Way too hot for Class D I thought - and I had it in a well-vented enclosure. I'm just going to cut my loses and probably not by Sure anymore. There are other, better modules out there. I haven't received the new 2092 module from Cristi yet at Connexelectronic, but his SMPS modules and speaker protection boards are first rate. I'm sure I can expect the same from him with this amp.

My next project will be based on this module.

Rick

Attachments

• TA2022 Amp.JPG
    TA2022 Amp.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,826
Hi Rod,

Actually, this is the TK2050 module from HiFimeDIY I have. It's been on my bench, wired up and tested, but hasn't found a permanent enclosure, or home yet. Thinking about making a little iPod amp for my daughter with it. Can't beat the price. :) See attached image below.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Actually I have his T4 amp sitting and not built up yet. When I finally go active on our 3 front 104 db efficient speakers I'm going to need more amps. So trying to get a feel for which way to go.

Cheers,
Rod

Hmm, sounds like the SC-05 is more favorite than the IRS2092 :)
Since it's in my HT, the SC-05 probably gets more use - at least for movies. :) But even for 2-channel it is very sweet sounding indeed. I'm sure it's not the ICEPower modules alone that works the magic, but other things Pioneer has done on the inside to optimize the sound as well. When I haven't fired up my vintage rig, the LJM amp is the one normally on for general CD listening.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Actually I have his T4 amp sitting and not built up yet. When I finally go active on our 3 front 104 db efficient speakers I'm going to need more amps. So trying to get a feel for which way to go.

Cheers,
Rod
Yeah they have some interesting audio stuff on that site. DACs, digital-amp(DDX320), and other neat stuff. Now you've got me curious about the T4. Powerful little module. I like the fact that it can take both dual, or single voltages. What PSU are you going to use with it? A conventional, dual-polarity linear one, or single SMPS? My credit card suffers when I start looking! :)

Rick

Yeah they have some interesting audio stuff on that site. DACs, digital-amp(DDX320), and other neat stuff. Now you've got me curious about the T4. Powerful little module. I like the fact that it can take both dual, or single voltages. What PSU are you going to use with it? A conventional, dual-polarity linear one, or single SMPS? My credit card suffers when I start looking! :)

Rick

Hi Rick,

I got the Connexelectronic.com smps300R supply Connexelectronic The amp is really over powered for my Klipsch Heritage stuff but it's the one that HiFiMeDIY suggested for my speakers. My only concern with such high efficiency speakers is the amps noise level. Sure hope it's not a problem. Will probably be awhile before I do the build.

Yea those credit cards are dangerous little things!

Cheers,
Rod

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Foam Core Amplifier - TPA3118D2

Here is the new TI Class-D TPA3118D2 chip implemented in all SMD parts using dead bug point-to-point wiring with the components glued to a piece of foam core board. The amp sounds really nice and clean. The build was a lot of fun and I am not experiencing any noise issues that some thought may arise since I did not use a PCB with a ground plane. Although I do have a sheet of aluminum foil underneath the paper.

More info in this thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/219730-tpa3118d2-6.html

336455d1363460094-tpa3118d2-foam-core-amp4.jpg

336454d1363460094-tpa3118d2-foam-core-amp-final3.jpg

My TAS5630B Amp

Hello! Here're some pictures of my Tas5630b Class D Amp (the first one I designed). It works really great, I love this amp module.

Power is about 170W @ 4 Ohms each Channel. Heatsink is a Pentium 4 Socket 423.
Inductors are Coilcraft VER2923 with 6,8µH. I will try 10µH also.

Btw: If someone is interessted in a pcb, contact me ;-)

Best regards,
Bernhard

Attachments

• scope_28.png
    scope_28.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 314
  • scope_25.png
    scope_25.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 295
  • scope_23.png
    scope_23.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,648
  • IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 435
Very impressive

Hello! Here're some pictures of my Tas5630b Class D Amp (the first one I designed). It works really great, I love this amp module.

Power is about 170W @ 4 Ohms each Channel. Heatsink is a Pentium 4 Socket 423.
Inductors are Coilcraft VER2923 with 6,8µH. I will try 10µH also.

Btw: If someone is interessted in a pcb, contact me ;-)

Best regards,
Bernhard

Nothing more to say that WOW that is some really impressive work

Regards

Geof