Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D Amp Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2019, 10:25 PM   #1441
zorz is offline zorz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionhead View Post
Seems a pretty straight forward build and looks very tidy inside. Thanks for sharing you have given me some inspiration to get off the dime. My home theater needs new amps and the ICEPower amps should work well with my 4ohm Linn speakers. I need 11 channels and if I am reading the specifications correctly 4 200ASC and 7 200AC should get the job done. Probably will split up boards between 2 separate enclosures.
(Assuming you're replying to my build )

So far I've been quite happy with the build and have even done another one (with a 50ASX2SE).

The sound is very good overall. The bass isn't quite as hard hitting as the Emotiva (it is a lower wpc rating after all and the Amigas are quite inefficient) but the top-end has amazing clarity and I notice details that I've never quite gotten so clearly before. Even driven quite hard the amp barely heats up and distortion is minimal, though I'm sure I'll run into it sooner vs. the Emotiva if I go further.

Assembly was quite easy and took me only a few hours for the first one. The Ghent Audio chassis are quite nice, though the faceplate had a nick on it. They were happy to send a replacement for only the cost of shipping ($6) and all was well. The wiring harness was 90% configured correctly - you only need to do a few instances of soldering wires together to finish it.

My only wish is that it had 12V trigger built in or a standby mode, but these aren't terribly hard to add and I'll probably figure out how to do this next.

The next stage here is using this and the 50ASX2SE with a MiniDSP to set up a pair of active speakers using the TangBand W6-2313. I'll post here once that build thread is up.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:46 PM   #1442
onionhead is offline onionhead  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Just submitted order

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
(Assuming you're replying to my build )

So far I've been quite happy with the build and have even done another one (with a 50ASX2SE).

The sound is very good overall. The bass isn't quite as hard hitting as the Emotiva (it is a lower wpc rating after all and the Amigas are quite inefficient) but the top-end has amazing clarity and I notice details that I've never quite gotten so clearly before. Even driven quite hard the amp barely heats up and distortion is minimal, though I'm sure I'll run into it sooner vs. the Emotiva if I go further.

Assembly was quite easy and took me only a few hours for the first one. The Ghent Audio chassis are quite nice, though the faceplate had a nick on it. They were happy to send a replacement for only the cost of shipping ($6) and all was well. The wiring harness was 90% configured correctly - you only need to do a few instances of soldering wires together to finish it.

My only wish is that it had 12V trigger built in or a standby mode, but these aren't terribly hard to add and I'll probably figure out how to do this next.

The next stage here is using this and the 50ASX2SE with a MiniDSP to set up a pair of active speakers using the TangBand W6-2313. I'll post here once that build thread is up.
@ Zorz - Think it best to take an incremental approach in my use case. No sense sinking thousands of $'s if they don't work with my speakers. Watched the 123toid video so it seems I can handle this, so just ordered 200ASC and 200AC board as well as Ghent case. Plan is to connect to pair of Linn Majik 140 4 ohm speakers. Good luck on your next project using MiniDSP and TangBand full range woofer.
Old 23rd August 2019, 02:01 AM   #1443
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionhead View Post
@ Zorz - Think it best to take an incremental approach in my use case. No sense sinking thousands of $'s if they don't work with my speakers. Watched the 123toid video so it seems I can handle this, so just ordered 200ASC and 200AC board as well as Ghent case. Plan is to connect to pair of Linn Majik 140 4 ohm speakers. Good luck on your next project using MiniDSP and TangBand full range woofer.
Yep! It's remarkably simple and you'll probably be quite happy.

A few tips:

1. Buy the wiring harness with the case from Ghent Audio
2. ALSO buy the wiring harness kit from Parts Express as well

This way you have the best of each set and can use the right one for the situation. The 123Toid video is only an overview, so you'll want to reference the manuals/datasheets on parts-express.com to make sure you have things wired up correctly.

Enjoy!
Old 17th September 2019, 09:23 PM   #1444
limits is offline limits  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Icepower 200asc monos (board version L)

Here is the first amp. I haven't received the second case from Ghent yet even though I ordered them at the same time...

Decided to forgo the switch and RCA input, as I don't need them.

limits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190913_200423.jpg (848.4 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpg 20190913_195335.jpg (972.2 KB, 712 views)
Old 17th September 2019, 09:44 PM   #1445
e_fortier is offline e_fortier  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very nice work, congratulations!!

May I suggest you don’t cut the unused wire, you might need them eventually (ex +/- 12v supply output)

BR
Eric
Old 17th September 2019, 09:49 PM   #1446
limits is offline limits  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_fortier View Post
Very nice work, congratulations!!

May I suggest you donít cut the unused wire, you might need them eventually (ex +/- 12v supply output)

BR
Eric
Thanks, Eric. Yeah; I probably shouldn't have cut them, but I usually don't tinker (too much) with stuff once its built...

The Ghent cases are nice, I just hope the second one shows up sometime so that I can listen to them, LOL...

limits
Old 17th September 2019, 10:09 PM   #1447
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limits View Post
Thanks, Eric. Yeah; I probably shouldn't have cut them, but I usually don't tinker (too much) with stuff once its built...

The Ghent cases are nice, I just hope the second one shows up sometime so that I can listen to them, LOL...

limits
Great work!

As an FYI you can order express shipping from ghent. Usually gets you a week shorter shipping for only a few additional $.
Old 15th October 2019, 09:40 AM   #1448
hansueli is offline hansueli  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I just finished the case of my little bluetooth amp.

Its the electronical part on an Sony SRS-BTX300. So it has bluetooth standby fir only 0.1W power consumption and a 2x10W Yamaha YDA174 chip. Sound really good on my Canton Vento 820.2
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-14 at 23.13.14.jpeg (213.4 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-14 at 23.13.14(1).jpeg (181.0 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-14 at 22.04.06.jpeg (213.9 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_PA150093.JPG (233.4 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by hansueli; 15th October 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 15th October 2019, 11:34 AM   #1449
gauravsanu is offline gauravsanu
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansueli View Post
Yesterday I just finished the case of my little bluetooth amp.

Its the electronical part on an Sony SRS-BTX300. So it has bluetooth standby fir only 0.1W power consumption and a 2x10W Yamaha YDA174 chip. Sound really good on my Canton Vento 820.2
Ultimate housing
Old 15th October 2019, 03:57 PM   #1450
hansueli is offline hansueli  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Next amp.

6 channel IRS2092 with 36V power supply and PT2325 volume control.

Amp will be feeded by Teufel DecoderStation 5.

I will put some relay for bypassing volume controle on-demand like Yamaha Pure Direct.

Amp is based on IRAUDAMP5 with IRF6645 mosfets.

I will put some additional capacitor later.

Power supply looks to be enought for powering this amp easily :-D

Class D Amp Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!