Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D Amp Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2019, 03:54 PM   #1431
Wardsweb is offline Wardsweb  United States
diyAudio Member

The chassis came from Aliexpress

WA2 Whole Aluminum Chassis Can Do Tube Amp or Amplifier Shell DIY Box Silver & Black-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:21 PM   #1432
chermann is offline chermann  Austria
diyAudio Member

Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 10:58 PM   #1433
zorz is offline zorz  United States
diyAudio Member

I just built a dual-mono amp this weekend with the excellent ICEPower 200ASC + 200AC boards and a Ghent Audio chassis.

Overall the experience was very smooth outside of having to mess around with soldering the binding posts. I used 123toid's video as a starting reference, but there were a few things I had to look up as he didn't go through all the details in his video.

After building it I then hooked them up to my pair of (admittedly hard to drive) Amiga MT's and compared them to my Emotiva A-300, with the MC-700 as preamp. Here are my impressions:

- The clarity was excellent. I noticed a lot of details that were harder to discern before, such as a dropped drumstick at the end of a track or a cough from a band member. Just lots of little things that were present before but not as revealed jumped out at me.
- The bass wasn't quite as full, though it did not lack in the clarity department. The Emotiva really wins here with just gobs of punchy, accurate bass. However, the ICEPower boards did deliver with reach (was able to hit cleanly at 35Hz) and not being too forward.

Overall, this was quite worthwhile and I'm going to be using this dual mono block as 1/2 of an active system using the Tang Band W6-2313 coaxial driver. I'm building a 50ASX 2-channel amp for the tweeters next and using MiniDSP as crossover.

The Class-D bug bit hard...I'm kind of glad!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1497.jpg (426.7 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1498.jpg (852.4 KB, 680 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1499.jpg (983.5 KB, 686 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1530.jpg (977.6 KB, 650 views)
Old 12th August 2019, 10:10 PM   #1434
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

zorz - looks great! One small suggestion: your AC power lines (looks like red and black wires) should be twisted. Since you're using connectors (rather than soldered wires), should only take a few minutes to twist those.
Old 12th August 2019, 11:48 PM   #1435
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
zorz - looks great! One small suggestion: your AC power lines (looks like red and black wires) should be twisted. Since you're using connectors (rather than soldered wires), should only take a few minutes to twist those.
Lol - yeah, forgot about that little tidbit! Thanks for the reminder
Old 13th August 2019, 09:54 AM   #1436
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

This child needs in time to be build, a multilevel version, -110db HD.

But wheere I can order the case for it?

The multilevel has a special feedback system, who correct the lowpass completely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_2027 Feb. 08 22.17.jpg (307.8 KB, 483 views)
Old 14th August 2019, 10:39 PM   #1437
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees52 View Post
This child needs in time to be build, a multilevel version, -110db HD.

But wheere I can order the case for it?

The multilevel has a special feedback system, who correct the lowpass completely.
While I'm not 100% sure of what you're referring to here, I do know that cases can be ordered from Ghent Audio as well as eBay.
Old 14th August 2019, 11:08 PM   #1438
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

As small aside; Ebay Clone Dact type stepped (SMD) Attenuators are surprisingly good items.
Better imo than than MY Ebay Alps blu pots ..of which most All available are clones these days. Stickers/claims notwithstanding.
Alps hasn't mfg'd a blu pot for years

PS Those ICE things look like they've been bombed by seagulls... too much White yuck.

Last edited by Bare; 14th August 2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 20th August 2019, 12:09 PM   #1439
baszek is offline baszek
diyAudio Member

I have made cap mod of my small tpa3116 amp.
Big ones under pcb are some chinese 4700uF (probably fakes nichicons but comments on alliexpress were ok).
On the front of pcb I have also changed caps for some JAMICON 1000uF (bought in local store). All caps are Low ESR.
After change I have noticed that bass is a little bit better.
The next mod I will do: add some small radiator on the back of pcb under tpa3116 --> when sometimes I turn volume loud radiator is really hot :-) for daily use it is ok, but probably not for party mode :-)
ImgBBB - Upload Image — Free Image Hosting

Amps work with khadas tone board DAC + POLK AUDIO S15 speakers :-) I searching right now for some quality tpa3116 2.1 to add maybe subwoofer for movies.

Last edited by baszek; 20th August 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 21st August 2019, 03:51 PM   #1440
onionhead is offline onionhead  United States
diyAudio Member

Seems a pretty straight forward build and looks very tidy inside. Thanks for sharing you have given me some inspiration to get off the dime. My home theater needs new amps and the ICEPower amps should work well with my 4ohm Linn speakers. I need 11 channels and if I am reading the specifications correctly 4 200ASC and 7 200AC should get the job done. Probably will split up boards between 2 separate enclosures.

Class D Amp Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!