Class D Amp Photo Gallery

Hi!

Here are the combined elements of my holiday DIY.

arylic up2stream mini whith I2S dac PCM5102A.
MMA5332 amp.
I'm going to try to integrate everything in the case of an old aluminum Xiami router...
I have already tested all the elements together.
The i2s dac added on the arylic module and the MA5332 board.
a real killer!
High-end connected amplifier!
Total silence between change of title, power!!!
For sound settings, equalization, source, I go through the up4stream application.

The hardest part remains to be done...Integration in the case... :eek::smash:
Hello, sounds interesting, where did you buy the MMA5332 amplifier?

Account Closed
Joined 2010
@Kjeldsen
Hurtig's based in Denmark as well ...like all the other uber expensive class D guys, B&O stuff that breaks every now and then...they probably have regular meetings, share ideas, solo marketing skills, universal forever income...If you have real potential you have a great chance of adding to their story being near them ;) .Pay them a visit!
Kinda offtopic, but not really: here's the only part that needs to be manually adressed by the owner of a B&O 4000 direct drive tangential turntable done with the cheapest plastic that I need to fix for a friend.The whole thing weighs a ton, full cast magnesium and aluminium alloys everywhere it doesn't matter, while the only part that needs to keep the 600 euros cart in touch with the owner's shaky hands is a damn 1mm thick plastic part.
Danish uber expensive high end design at its peak, reissued again around 2018 I think for even better money than before...
Looks like they share the same marketing skills to me...
I'm struggling with Luise's insights on language for the moment.I wanna move there too.It seems to be the land of the chosen ones!

Attachments

• 20221228_171823.jpg
    20221228_171823.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 20221228_171833.jpg
    20221228_171833.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Not really...I'm just disgusted with the premium prices of purifi and hypex...obviously I don't know all the companies working in that field yet if Icepower and Pascal are cheap they certainly don't get the credit for that.I'm a heavy user of very cheap class d technology , the cheapest of the cheap anonymous ones and I can't hear how bad it is...
As for trolling if that is what you call disagreeing with a trend in a topic with cool pictures ...3 posts here are enough for me saying all I had to say ...The rest is artwotk.

Last edited:
I have both the cheapest and more expensive class d modules. I have also heard the original very expensive equibit amplifier and the Texas instrument version on the same gear. There is no comparison in sound quality. If you are happy when some one steal a design and leave out components to save money, its ok for me. But, you can clearly measure the different. Can you hear it? Yes !

Last edited:
Hello, sounds interesting, where did you buy the MMA5332 amplifier?

Hi nerone! The MA5332 amp is simply awesome. Easily found on Alli. Layout by Michel Xiao following infineon's recommendations. At this price, it is unexpected !!! Much better than tpa... I also like MA12070 chips. But the design is different, the power is remarkable and the noise zero, even the ear glued to the tweeter. For a 7mm*7 chip, the size reduction is not at the expense of sound quality.

I Just completed a 6 channel Starkrimson, with boards spanning 3 different revisions. Originally 4 of these were powering my main speakers, but I need more power for those, so they have been re purposed into this 6 channel build. It is powering my side surrounds and atmos speakers. All measurements were taken with a QA-403, and every amp hits specifications no problems! Channel 6 idle noise is a bit higher then the rest, and some mains leakage due to the proximity of the IEC connector, but nothing audible.

The difference from running the 6 speakers from my Yamaha RX-A6A to this amp is night and day, and I honestly was not expecting such a drastic change.

3 channels each are powered off of a Microaudio SMPS630-SO power supply, which I have used before in my Class AB Wolverine amplifier builds, and are fantastic low noise high power supplies!

Thanks to @stuartmp for The ground lift and T-ground PCB's

Thanks also to @Cresnet and @orchardaudio for making such great products available to us!
I noticed your fuse holders/fuses for each individual Starkrimson board. What type of fuse did you decide to use there?

These projects are still active. However, it didn't seem like the interest was that great. Looks like this section is more focused on building cheap chinese amplifier-modules into old amplifier chassis.

We focus on high end class-D, comparable to the best on the marked. Our propriotary Class-D amplifier circuit have similar or better specs than the marked leaders. But we also have a strong focus on the sonic performace. That is why we have equipped most of our amplifier moduls (except the small 1 channel version) with a discrete non-feedback class-A input buffer (where others use a op-amp). And still we have similar specs :). We offer a flat phase-response in the entire audio range, which we have not seens from any other class-D amplifier.

Anyway, if you are interested in the projects, send a private message.

We have a lot of finished class-D project, so if the interest is here, please let us know.
I'm very happy that my six word question revived the interest in your amp design. Thank you.

Hi nerone! The MA5332 amp is simply awesome. Easily found on Alli. Layout by Michel Xiao following infineon's recommendations. At this price, it is unexpected !!! Much better than tpa... I also like MA12070 chips. But the design is different, the power is remarkable and the noise zero, even the ear glued to the tweeter. For a 7mm*7 chip, the size reduction is not at the expense of sound quality.
Thanks mamocel, I would like to try to make this project including streamer.
What power supply do you use and which one would you recommend?

@dreamth
ICEPower has by far sold the most channels of all high quality class D amplifier modules.
You can find ICE technology in headphones, mobile phones, TV sets, active loudspeakers and of course in most Bang&Olufsen active speakers as well as a few "manufactures" of amplifiers with ICEPower class D modules inside.
Pascal is doing pro-audio mostly, except for OEM to a few HI-FI makers, and is a high power "spin off" from ICE.
Purifi can be found in NAD´s pricier stuff. Hypex are DIY and OEM vendors, all though the OEM modules are different from the DIY types.
Both most Hypex and all Purifi designs are Bruno Putzeys creations.
Turning towards the cheaper stuff, you´ll almost always find application note designs from the gatedriver vendor.
The latter will make your amplifier work, but not very much more than that. But they are cheap, stable and good enough to take on pretty well designed linear amplifier designs.
Then you might sometimes find modified app note designs with different kinds of exotic components, aiming at i.e higher switching speeds for some reason or another, but this mostly due to lack of means to do a better design.
Taking self-oscillating class D amplifier technology to the limits, calls for very sophisticated feedback technology, which is not found in any app-note around.
This is a very difficult and time consuming task to manage, and thus no one wants to disclose costly IP. ICE took out patents on their proprietary dual loop technology, to be able to penetrate the market, before anyone else did so.
But you are right, mass production makes everything cheaper, and sometimes cheaper than one would think.

Reactions: 1 users
The prices are on Hypex or Purify sites.
The "misterrrry" is all about the money, how to sell " our proprietary" cheap as peanuts to manufacture highendish VISUAL ART DESIGN for as much money as can be.
There's simply a technical trick that does for class d amps for decades, even before the class d amp became such low distortion amps as they are today:
SELL MORE CAPACITORS than needed as they do two things in a modern class d amp:
1.make the audio amp look like USS ENTERPRISE starship giving it enough volume and mass for the old time heavy weight big looking amplifier fetishists to accept it a bit easier as they are inclined to pay more for the sheer volume of those things and visual design than anything else...you know...4x4 cars, ferrari crocodile amigdala type of thinking sold to the middle class...
2.actually providing a longer life for the class d amps usually stressing those capacitors a lot more than a conventional clas a/b amp does...the only positive thing in this whole story!
3.making you forget that the true real final consumer price for this type of technology in 2022 should have been below 20 bucks for a stereo kit of 2×300 watts and if they go within 1..2 years , there shouldn't be any problem cause you could buy another one for 20 bucks.
Well the pandemic and the TSMC fires changed the pricetag landscape a bit, and indeed , the turnover for Magnus Carlsen increased from 5 to 50 millions in the last two years with online chess thanks to betting houses need to find suitable replacements for " football industry", but that will change back at some moment after the war...wars and scarcety of a product always make somd guys rich...Are you going to be the one to fill their pocket just for that exclusivity feeling?
Truth is that all highendish class d ONE MAN companies are not licencing all their proprietary technology so that they can still enjoy fame as highly sought after designers, being invited to all sorts of shows to keep the BS alive...they're "still not there" for 20 years now , but they don't take cost down courses...they are too expensive :)
If tomorrow Purify or Hypex would licence all their technology to Texas Instruments or Mitsubishi or Hitachi or anyone alike, I'd bet 1 billion dollars ( if i had it of course )against anyone on this planet , that their 2× 300 $ dual mono kits would drop below 20 bucks within 1 year from now for an anonymous stereo kit having same quality as the uber expensive kits of today cause this is what those companies are best known for the last 40 years or so: dropping prices and delivering high quality in a small package for cheap by the millions of sold units. All these diy reviews and experience stories would move on Amazon, but

that's what we hate the most :
getting annonymous users of a widely used cheap technology !

30 years ago if you had an Iphone or an Intel 386 computer you were somebody....you know what I mean.
I will not buy any highend class d amp until its price drops to its real manufacturing value .
If I want big highenfish things I make tube amplifiers driving high spl speakers...
Just think of the stupidity of adding a tube in front of a 0.00001% thd amplifier...
That tells everything about the true value of this technology to our ears.
0.00001% thd is good for rocket missiles guiding or mixing audio mastering engineers at Abey studios ...for your small 4x5 m room house you need 20 bucks amplifiers with dsp room correction.
Do you wanna feel rich?
Make money telling others how cool your selling products are , buy a palace then I bet you'll fill it with the biggest class A ultralow efficiency tube setup to impress your friends, familly or clients.
There's no mistery, you only need to start thinking with your own head.This technology is manufactured for less than 5 bucks worth of components per stereo kit, litteraly! Do you wanna pay 900 bucks for a stereo kit plus a cheap smps made in China for pennies with the cheapest capacitors on the planet? Think again cause there are litterally less than 10 SMART people running all this highendish bussiness :
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/2-x-hypex-smps1200-dead-following-power-cut.374965/

Well, we totally agree on High End Audio being overpriced. But this is not a special class-D problem. I see a lot of class-A amplifiers costing +50.000 USD... These do NOT cost 50.000 USD in manufacturing.

I agree, that standard class-D modules has been exploited to make higher profit. But don't blame the class-D module manufactures.
Some 10 years ago, you could buy a 2x500W ICEPower based amplifier from various brands for around 1.000-1.200 USD. The excact same ICEPower modules were also used in various "High End" amplifiers costing +20.000 USD. The biggest issue is, that consumers actually believe the 20.000 USD version to be better, because the chassis is a bit nicer and branded with some old school High End audio brand.

Anyway... If you feel that you can do better and cheaper than other class-D manufactures, I will look forward to you posting your design.

I meet with the eLABS R&D team yesterday, and we decided to make our 2 channel module available on DIYAUDIO.

Key specifications:
  • 2x400 watt @ 4 ohm
  • Peak output current > 30A
  • Output noise level < 25uV
  • Output impedance < 20uΩ

Features onboard:
  • 2 channel class-D amplifier.
  • Discrete non-feedback class-A input buffer.
  • Shunt regulators for input buffer.
  • Fully DC coupled design.
  • High quality components selected for audio performance.
  • Local de-coupling capacitors for all supply rails. Solid polymer capacitors for input stage.
  • Comprehensive supervisory circuit for optimum protection. (short circuit, temperature, over/under-voltage and high frequency).
  • Individual disable pin for each channel.
  • Heatsink adequate for normal operating conditions.

Power Supply requirements:
+/- 60VDC mains supply (50-65V is acceptable). Unreagulated.
+/- 15VDC AUX supply, approx 200mA (14-18V is acceptable). Unreagulated.

The mocule cost will be 400 USD fully assemble and tested. Price do not include tax and shipping.
We will be working on a webshop. I will let you know when done. Meanwhile, feel free to send a PM in interested.

Currently we are in a "No Stock" situation on the gatedrivers for the board. We hare hoping for these to be back in stock early 2023.

1672402746225.png