Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Class D Amp Photo Gallery
Class D Amp Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2015, 04:33 PM   #1001
Xerxes75 is offline Xerxes75  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It maybe took a while but they are good looking...
Old 29th June 2015, 05:01 PM   #1002
mravlca is offline mravlca  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by den_hr View Post
Been busy lately with various TPA3116 and TDA7498 amps
The first photo shows RasPi server + TPA3116 amp in round cases - I've been working on these far longer than expected...
I am impressed. Those round cases are really nice looking.

BR,
Aleš
Old 1st July 2015, 07:23 AM   #1003
skrstic is offline skrstic  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Fantastic

Quote:
Been busy lately with various TPA3116 and TDA7498 amps
The first photo shows RasPi server + TPA3116 amp in round cases - I've been working on these far longer than expected...

Den TPA3116 vs TDA7498 who sounds better?
Old 1st July 2015, 09:45 AM   #1004
den_hr is offline den_hr  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the nice comments
skrstic, I'm not sure which sounds better...

It's all very subjective, I have not done any measurements.

TDA7498 seems to have a bit more "punch", somewhat "fuller" sound - which is no wonder, as it's twice as powerful, and that power shows.
The downside is that it requires a more expensive power supply - although I'm driving it using a "laptop brick" (big one, rated at 20V/6.5A)...

I think I might try finding a 24v/5A power source, and see what happens. I wouldn't go above 24V on that one, since it has caps rated at 35V, so....

But, even at 20V, it shows more power than TPA3116. As for "which is better", I don't usually make any claims in that regard, as it's all rather subjective and depends on the experience and preferences

To my untrained ear, the TDA7498 seems a tiny bit better as regards the "fullness" of sound and a bit more punch in the lower frequencies.
But, take that with a grain of salt - I'm in no way an expert, nor do I claim to be...
Anyway, at the current prices, you can buy one of each, and try for yourself - each of those can be had for about $15 with free shipping....

Denis
Old 1st July 2015, 10:51 AM   #1005
tfboy is offline tfboy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

den_hr, that's very elegant!

I've finally finished my multichannel amplifier based on Hypex UcD modules. This ones is fitted with 9x UcD400HG with HxR regulators, fed from three SMPS1200 supplies.

Several people asked me about this, so this may soon evolve into something more than just DIY

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 1st July 2015, 10:55 AM   #1006
den_hr is offline den_hr  Croatia
diyAudio Member

tfboy, that is a real monster
Very professional, hats off!
Old 1st July 2015, 11:05 AM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Thanks den. Yes, at 4ohm, it's 3.6kW of musical power in a 3U tall chassis.

I did spend a lot of time modelling the case in 3D trying to get it all to fit inside, respect minimum spacing for electrical safety, etc. The entire thing is machined to spec and there are one or two minor problems which I'll fix if I need to do another one.

My only concern with it is the heat. The UcD modules are quite efficient, but still get a little warm with two stacked onto each heatsink. I've taken some temperature readings with the cover on after using it for an hour, and the heatsinks are at around 65 degrees, which is OK (max is 90), but would probably go higher if in an enclosed cabinet... I've wanted to avoid having to use additional fans for cooling (which wouldn't help if in an enclosed cabinet anyway). I might have to add a thermistor to cut power to protect against overheating...

Maybe for large multichannel usage, I might restrict to the smaller UcD180 modules. The heatsinks have holes drilled ready for UcD180 mount points too so it's easy to swap.

My next project is integrating with new NCore500 modules which are something else! But I need to do a full PCB design for that. They are even more powerful and efficient though and heat wouldn't be a problem.

I love Class D for this very reason
Old 1st July 2015, 11:08 AM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Couple of shots of the heatsinks

Old 1st July 2015, 11:46 AM   #1009
skrstic is offline skrstic  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the nice comments
skrstic, I'm not sure which sounds better...

It's all very subjective, I have not done any measurements.

TDA7498 seems to have a bit more "punch", somewhat "fuller" sound - which is no wonder, as it's twice as powerful, and that power shows.
The downside is that it requires a more expensive power supply - although I'm driving it using a "laptop brick" (big one, rated at 20V/6.5A)...

I think I might try finding a 24v/5A power source, and see what happens. I wouldn't go above 24V on that one, since it has caps rated at 35V, so....

But, even at 20V, it shows more power than TPA3116. As for "which is better", I don't usually make any claims in that regard, as it's all rather subjective and depends on the experience and preferences

To my untrained ear, the TDA7498 seems a tiny bit better as regards the "fullness" of sound and a bit more punch in the lower frequencies.
But, take that with a grain of salt - I'm in no way an expert, nor do I claim to be...
Anyway, at the current prices, you can buy one of each, and try for yourself - each of those can be had for about $15 with free shipping....

Denis
Thank you. I plan to buy TDA7498 after the vacation.
Old 1st July 2015, 03:39 PM   #1010
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

tfboy, no earth at all?

Class D Amp Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!