Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I got the TA-10 last week it came really fast from Hong Kong.

I already changed the input caps to 2.2uf solens. I have some jantzen on the way.

I also added the best nichicons that radio shack has to offer, 2 6800uf 80C in parrelel as stiffeners they barely fit inside the case, a bigger size cap would not have fit inside, I suggest that you get 2 smaller caps for stiffening if you want then to fit.

It is a nice amp, I think the Super-T has a little more gain a little bigger sounding.

But, the ta-10 allows you to adjust the dc offset, which for me is more important than gain. I have the DC offset on both channels down to 0.4mv. pretty damn good.

pano, what do you think now you have had the TA-10 for a while now?

Out,

Robert

Upgrade SuperT or get at TA-10???

My question now becomes, do I start spending money modding my Super T or do I use the money to get at TA-10? Is it your feeling that a modded Super T will be better than a stock TA-10? Will a modded TA-10 alway outperform a modded Super T? What are your recommendations?? Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a toss up, really. Modified they should both be the same, or so close that it doesn't matter.

The TA-10 is easier to mod. Even though it is smaller, it is much easier to get to the parts on the board. I also like that the TA-10 has heat sinking, the Super-T does not. But the build quality on the Super-T is better. Much better PCB.

The Super-T has much, much more room inside, if you want to put in big caps or other gadgets. You will need a looong screwdriver to remove the faceplate. I had to buy an 8" (21cm) screwdriver to make it easier.

I've talked with the designer of the TA-10, he built it with the DIY community in mind, That's why it has almost all thru hole parts. Makes for easy modding.

So it's a toss up. The TA-10 is an easier mod, but the end results should be similar.

Thanks Pano

Thanks for responding to my posts. I'm kinda new at this, and this is may be a dumb question, but how do you get the bigger caps to fit on the board? Don't the leads out of the replacement caps (like solen) come out of both ends of the capacitor (radial?) as opposed to both leads coming out of one end of the cap? Is it proper to just make them fit? I guess the electrolytic replacements have both coming out of the bottom to make it easier?

I don't even know where to begin to modify the output stage. :)

Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, the flm caps like the Solen have leads coming out each end. Just so happens that a 1.5ufF Jantzen fits perfectly on the TA-10 board.

For the Super-T, you have to be more clever. I stand the cap up on end and bend the other lead around. Will post photo later.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The mods are up on my site. You can see them here
TA-10 modifications.

I'm very happy with the mods. The amp has been burning for a couple of days, and it sounds great. Detail is a little spooky! The upgrade was supposed to help bass and dynamics. The gain in detail was not expected.

Overall, a lot of fun and an easy amp to mod.

I will be doing some comparative listening between the modded TA-10 and some other T-amps this week. But right out of the gate it surprises me. :D

Very Nice!

Thanks for the great post, Pano. I couldn't wait and ordered a TA-10 last week. I hope it shows up. :) I've never ordered anything from Hong Kong before.

In regards to my Super T, I replaced the input caps with solen 2.5uf (had these leftover from an old speaker project) and I replaced the speaker and input wiring. I do have a couple questions:

1. Do you think the value difference 2.5uf vs. 2.2uf makes much difference?

2. I noticed you used much larger value tank caps in the TA-10. The super T uses 470uf. Should I go bigger?

My initial impressions with my minor mods on my Super T are that it is more "musical", and a little warmer sounding, not so sterile. However, it seems as though the bass is not a strong. It might be just my imagination, but I think the bass isn't quit as powerful as it was prior to mods. I'll keep listening... Thanks again.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Very Nice!

RemoGaggi said:
1. Do you think the value difference 2.5uf vs. 2.2uf makes much difference?

You'd never be able to hear it.

2. I noticed you used much larger value tank caps in the TA-10. The super T uses 470uf. Should I go bigger?

Yes, for sure. Probably the number one mod for these T-Amps is to get more capacitance in close to the chip.

Remember Vinny's Clari-T? His main mod was putting a Black Gate cap right at the chip. It's important! On the TA-10 I used 1200uF because that was the largest Panasonic FM that will fit. I don't remember what I have used on the Super-T. But bigger is better.

my Super T are that it is more "musical", and a little warmer sounding, not so sterile. However, it seems as though the bass is not a strong.

I don't know why the bass would be weaker. As for more musical, yes, getting the cheap electrolytic out of the direct signal path probably helped!

Sometimes when you make the power supply stronger and stiffer, it will "dry up" the bass. Generally this is a good thing. But some small drivers/speakers just don't have much bass. They actually profit from the amplifier letting them flap around a bit. When the amp gets stronger, the bass gets tighter, and you can lose some of the "juice" in a small speaker. You can always try adding a very low value resistor in series, or use very thin speaker wire. That may restore the balance you had before.

Don't know if it is the case with your system, but it's not uncommon.

Hi,

Pano amazing work !!!

I did do the input caps with 2.2uf jantzens, but I cannot seem to understand how to order from digikey.It is the most screwed up website I have ever seen.

How can I order the panasonic FM's, I want to get the 680uf size, because I have already placed 2 6800uf as stiffener in the case they are stuck to inside top lid with double sided sticky foam tape and there is not enough room for the bigger 1200uf FM's you put in there.

Also , which pot did you put in there, can you let me know where to buy one?

Thank you,

Robert

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Robert.

I don't have any trouble ordering from Digikey, once I've found the part. Just put the how many you want in the "quantity" box and click "Add to Order". Maybe it's a browser problem?

The new pot also comes from Digikey, it's a Panasonic part number EVJ-Y91F03B54 or Digikey number P2E9503-ND.

Let me know what you find.

Hello All,

I got my order from digikey sorted out. I use script blocker with firefox and forgot to allow digikey.

I got the 6 of the panasonic pots you mentioned and 20 1000uf FM 16 volt caps.

Also, I got some caps to recap an old ashly compressor I use in my studio. I got FC's,they did not have FM in the smaller size I needed, and also some KG's, I think, or KFC's, or something with K. I also got some bi-polar caps 47uf 10v panasonic SC's (I think) , are these any good?

I got the 16v version of the FM's do you think it is better to get
the 16v verses, say the 25v versions of the caps?
It seems some people like to go to a higher voltage. I was wondering what your take is on this practice.

Out Here,

Robert

Joined 2002
Paid Member
woodmancy said:
Pano

Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed discussion on improving this amp - this is just what I need. I've just received the TA-10 today and it sounds good - now I'm moving on to your mods.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Just curious how long did it take for the TA-10 to arrive?
Was the shipping cost reasonable?

I'm thinking of ordering one as soon as I finish up my Amp6.

Cheers,
Dennis

TA-10

I ordered my TA-10 from Buyoyo.com. It took them a few days to get the product, then they shipped it on 11/16 from Hong Kong and I received mine on 11/17 in Sacramento, CA via DHL delivery. Very fast.

BTW, my TA-10 came with Bennic Poly caps. I changed out the power caps to 1200uf. To me, it sounds much better than my Super T.

Hi,

This message is for Pano.

I am thinking about getting an Amp5 kit, what do you think of this kit?

Do you think it is better than the TA-10 or super-T?

I know it has more power than the other amps, I want to use this in my studio.

I also want to know if you have every tried transformers for balanced inputs, this would make going out of my D/A alot easier.

Thank You,

Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.