Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Modified ColdAMP SPS80
Modified ColdAMP SPS80
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2006, 05:29 PM   #31
fredos is offline fredos  Canada
diyAudio Member

The thing is that maybe la1209 have reduce the damping factor of is amp with this arrangement and now he found it more musical, like old tube amplifier...Anyways, matter of tast! I will continue to use my good old nichicon low ESR directly on the PCB between power supply and power amp! No wire= better performance and damping factor!

Fredos

www.d-amp.com
Old 6th August 2006, 01:44 AM   #32
classd4sure is offline classd4sure  Canada
Account Disabled

Modified ColdAMP SPS80 Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

These caps are on the SMPS though, I'd trust the module still has local bulk storage caps.. just like your nichicons.

BTW, going to post a pic of my Jensen supply tomorrow, freshly re-wired... you'd never know by the sound of it that they're paralleled at all, sounds just like a single cap supply, tight and perfectly coherent
Old 15th August 2006, 08:33 PM   #33
Jose_L is offline Jose_L  United States
diyAudio Member

la1209,

Where did you get your case ?

Regards,
Jose
Old 23rd August 2006, 02:52 AM   #34
Bizarroterl is offline Bizarroterl  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is a beautiful case. Where did you get it?
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:05 AM   #35
la1209 is offline la1209  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Dear all,

The case come from Taiwan Diyzone, I brought it around 1yr ago!
They are now non-stock, maybe in stock later, and the price is not expensive, as I remember, the cost is around NTD$3980
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:09 AM   #36
la1209 is offline la1209  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

By the way, my amp now has been break-in for about 70 hrs, the overall result is positive!
Old 12th October 2006, 08:10 AM   #37
ackcheng is offline ackcheng  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
Connecting the board to better caps with long wire creates problems of EMI etc. But how about placing the whole thing in a metallic box? Will the box stop the generated EMI from affecting other components?

If this works, then I can use better caps while keeping other problems down
Old 12th October 2006, 11:15 AM   #38
KeithC is offline KeithC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ackcheng
Connecting the board to better caps with long wire creates problems of EMI etc. But how about placing the whole thing in a metallic box? Will the box stop the generated EMI from affecting other components?

Cable runs from my SPS80 to power amps are approx. 20 - 30 cm,
with both amps and psu not boxed (just sat on a metal sheet). I don't have any problems with EMI/RFI, but there again, I don't have anything within 3 metres that would be affected.
Old 12th October 2006, 11:19 AM   #39
ackcheng is offline ackcheng  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
do you use the stock caps?
Old 12th October 2006, 12:29 PM   #40
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ackcheng

Why don`t you just keep the original caps on the SMPS and add extra caps offboard (I added 10000uF ELNA Cerafine and kept the original caps onboard). Doing it that way, you will have less EMI issues as there will be not much HF current flowing in the wires to the offboard caps. If you really want to remove the caps on the SMPS, then why not remove just one of them, or remove both of them and put at least a smaller cap onboard, for example 470uF 100V cap to keep the HF currents on the board, not in the air. In my point of view it is always better to prevent the generation of EMI (by keeping some caps onboard) then trying to suppress it by putting the SMPS in a metal case. In fact, if you want to be really safe, you should do both, keep the caps onboard and put the thing in a metal case and add extra offboard caps if you like. I really think that removing those onboard caps is a bad idea.

Best regards

Gertjan

Modified ColdAMP SPS80Hide this!Advertise here!