Ticking T-Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I experienced the same thing; a faint clicking a little faster than 1 Hz on both channels and often changing a little in amplitude. Sometimes its barely audible, sometimes its plain irritating. I use a wallwart 12V 2A SMPS supply. Changing to a GC solved the ticking so it must be T-amp intrinsic. What could it be?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have heard ticking and all sorts of goofy stuff after inadvertently grounding the - speaker outs on Tripath amps...all speaker outs NEED TO FLOAT...not be grounded...

Check for continuity from ground to neg (black) speaker out...or any of teh speaker outs for that matter...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
There should not be contact between the speaker outs and the chassis ground. All speaker outs should be floating - not connected to ground or each other. Independent connections.

Panomaniac --> can you confirm this - you are the subject matter expert...

You can disconnect the speaker outs from the case and see if it works...don't know about your diode issue.

I am not sure why the protection circuit would chime in in my particular situation. Easy drivers (Fostex 108ES), no overvoltage (12V), no overheating (lukewarm case at worst) while still playing wonderful music. If only the ticking wasn't there in between changing CDs. Any ideas? Why would the protection kick in?
O, and my amp is bone stock.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.