car audio system needs help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi. my car audio system needs help( a cheap way preferably, i am a college student). currently i have :
Sub- audiobahn immortal 15 4000w/2250w rms
amp- audiobahn A2300hc 2x300@4ohm-2x600@2-1200x2@1ohm
components- audiobahn 5.25 w/tweets and crossovers 120w rms
Audiobahn 3way 6x9's 200 w rms
Jvc head unit
audiobahn 3 channel crossover
1 farad capacitor
ok here is my problem. i used to have an audiobahn A1300hc amp. it made my sub pound. my fiance could here me about 6-8 blocks away. the speaker was in a downfiring box( the box was originally for a 18 in pa system.) the box was sealed and not built to the speaker's specs but sounded great. then i had a ported 3.5 cu ft box built to specs for the speaker. it sounded great until the speaker died from underpowering it(1200rms was not enough) so then i had the 05 model immortal sent to me from audiobahn and bought the new amp which was twice the power. now my system is embarrassing. the new amp is really dissappointing and it is not cool that i spent 400+ dollars on it. recently i was out-hit by 2 bazooka reverb 10s in bass tubes pushed by a punch 250. any suggestions? i would just put the 1300 back on it but my friend fried it(one of the windows came off and a piece of metal laid across the power supply in it) is it possible to fix my old amp or is there a way to build an amp with all the parts i have from the two amps? sorry this is so long and thanks for reading this post. any help would be appreciated

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The 1300 is a class-D amp, so someone here might able to help you.

Did you also post this in the car sound forum? You want to know if you can fix your amp, there might be more people over there who know the amp.

BTW, if you can be heard 6-8 blocks away - pleeeese stay out of my neighborhood. Kids these days.... what you gonna do? :whazzat:

Gorilla said:

I am sceptical....does this mean if a song has a quiet intro or you turn your system off the speaker dies?

Its sounds like the marketing guys have you.

Nah, see, it's what happens when you crank it up way too high thinking the speaker can handle it, and drive the amp well into clipping, because it's underpowered, then both your speakers and your ears say to hell with this and give out.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
classd4sure said:
You need to realize there's much more to audio than highest SPL.

Yes, well, I was going to say that - but. High SPL is his thing, it's away of showing off and proving who's the biggest bad *** on the block. Not my thing, but hey... A guy has got to show off somehow.

One need only read a few of the threads on this forum to see a lot of the "My Class-D is better than your Class-D" chest thumping. We're just more subtle about it because we're old. :D

Stephan really just wants to know how to, or if he can, fix his amp. He may take a few knocks on the head for his thumping loud ways, but maybe we can lead him to some really GOOD car auto, not just loud audio.

Anyone know if his amp is fixable? He probably can't do it himself, if he's never worked on amps before. Have you Stephan?

i also try to have good sound quality, too:whazzat: i took the amp apart and it looks like the circuit board from r91p to c91p and then from the c91p to c16p and c31p are fried. there also looks like there was a transistor in between c91p and c16p but it is completely gone. also the cp300 going from the power supply(the big wound up wires) to the negative(big black cylinder) is fried. i have worked on amps before but nothing too complicated(testing wires and bypassing blown channels, my friend and i once found an amp by the river while drinking and got it to work for a short time before it died:dead: ) i have read some of the posts hee about building amps and you guys are like way above my level, but i figured that you might know a lamens term way of telling me how to fix it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Stephan,
Well that sounds like bad news. You must have burned up the power supply when the amp shorted out, maybe burned up plenty other stuffs too. Bummer.

It's not likely to be something you can fix yourself. It might be worth it to take it to a repair shop, be the cost of repair is often more than the cost of replacement. Too bad.

You would probably be better served by purchasing a different brand of class d amp. I have a Directed which is the sister of Orion brand. It has performed flawlessly for 3+ years. Inexpensive refurbs of this and other brands are available at www.Ikesound.com . If you are getting serious about mobile audio you will be getting away from Audiobahn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.