Fusing a Battery Supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the replies. Since no one ever mentions it I had assumed that folks did not consider it necessary with a battery.

I already had one mishap with my modded T-Amp. I inserted the battery charger adaptor into the chassis female mount and it bent the hot pin to the chassis. The result was that I let a lot of smoke out of the amp and the little battery pumped its heart out in a brilliant display of excess. Luckily the internal wiring acted as a large low value resistor and bought me enough time to yank the adaptor out before a real fire started. The amp board was unharmed.

Fuses are good...

Lead acid batteries can discharge a huge amount of energy in a very short time.

There are lots of accounts of accidents occurring with vehicle batteries and spanners. The average vehicle battery can deliver several hundred amps when shorted making it a very effective DC arc welder.

I recently taught my kids about how strong battery current can be by shorting out a small 7.2aH SLA battery with a piece of CAT5 wire - instant smokage and red-hot melting copper...

I use a 5amp fuse in my battery powered DDDAC, which draws about 1 amp - it has saved a few components quite frequently. Just last week I bought a new box of 5amp automotive fuses. I can't find them any smaller, but I'm putting this fuse only in there for the "bonehead mistake protection"

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.